Kerry Forum

Kerry Vs. Mayo Super 8'S Game 1

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well, we know what we are facing in the first game... any thoughts? Mayo look strong running directly at Galway, that young fella James Carr looks a handful. O'Connor deadly from frees again, so will punish teams who fouls.

I think Morley will be ok up against Coen, Foley will probably be left with McLoughlin. Will Tom O'Sullivan be left to mark O'Connor or bring in Griffin or Enright?

Mayo Half back line look speedy and will be a good battle with the Kerry Half Forward line. Perhaps time to move Sean O'Se to midfield and stick Tom O'Sullivan up the field or bring Dara Moynihan into half forward line and stick in J'OD or even Tommy Walsh?

Whatever happens, Kerry need to win this game or the away game could be a dead rubber...

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 49 - 06/07/2019 20:57:27    2206475

Link

Lads what way do you think we will pair off with mayo. Goal keeper is nailed on.. Full back line Morley. Foley. Who... Half backs.. Paul Murphy Jack sherwood.. Who... Middle... Moran Spillane..... Half forword line.... Steve o brien.... Gavin o brien.... Who.... Full forword line... Clifford... Tommy wash... James o d.... Any thought's

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 09/07/2019 06:29:36    2208274

Link

I'd probably go with this

Ryan
Foley, Morley, O'Sullivan
Crowley, Sherwood, Murphy
Moran, Barry
Moynihan, Spillane, O'Connor
Clifford, O'Shea, O'Brien

Gavin White and Paul Geaney lose out I just think Crowley offers more than White for this game and Paul just hasn't been the Paul of old for a while now. I would push O'Brien up closer to the Mayo Goal with O'Shea as a link man. Spillane would be a third midfielder essentially with Barry helping out a lot at the back that's his best role imo.

We'd have some decent players to come off the bench in Enright, White, Burns, Walsh, Geaney & JOD. Maybe Gavin O'Brien too if he is doing ok in training.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1576 - 09/07/2019 09:55:55    2208323

Link

Well the big clash is approaching and despite what many will see as a team with wholesale changes, I personally can only see two changes max. I think he will retain the same keeper and back 6, with Gavin Crowley coming in around the middle for Barry and James in the corner at the expense of Dara Moynihan.

So: Shane Ryan, Jason Foley, Tadgh Morley, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Jack Sherwood, Gavin White, Gavin Crowley, David Moran, Diarmuid O'Connor, Seanie O'Shea, Stephen O'Brien, David Clifford, Paul Geaney and James O'Donoghue.

I'm sure PK and Co have noticed that the last game against Galway and similarly against Armagh that in the final straight the legs were wilting for Mayo and they allowed teams come back at them. I think if are within touching distance here we will prevail as the bench has serious legs and scoring ability in Dara Moynihan, Michaél Burns and Killian Spillane. Outside them then the is Adrain Spillane and muscle in Tommy and Gavin O'Brien.

Midfield Jack Barry and Spillane but I wouldn't rule out Tommy being an option to curb Aidan Shea. Defensive options are dropping Crowley back, Graham Sull, the other Tom Sullivan and Enright.

Match up wise for us I would match up us as follows, Jason Foley on Cillian O'Conner, Tadgh on Coen, Murphy on Carr, Sherwood on McDonagh if he starts and then the two greyhounds White and Tom Sullivan on the elder statesmen McLoughlin and Doherty. I think this would give us the better platform to build.

You have Crowley defensively with Sherwood protecting the 45's, Moran goes head to head with O'Shea, Seanie and Diarmuid are in around the centrefield area, Stephen and James come around the 45 where they have the space to take on the man and go. Vaughan, Keegan and Boyle and fine on the front foot but not as good anymore with the back to goals, they will bottle us up every chance they get so it is imperative that we create space for Clifford, James, Stephen and Paul to get the ball and take on the man and drive towards the opposing goals.

I think vocal support too is key here folks, we see how cynical Mayo can be, a "weak" ref in this regard would spell trouble for us. Does anyone know who has been entrusted with the whistle Sunday?

A not match fit Clifford gave Higgins enough of it in croker in the league final. A full fit and on the toes Clifford could make hay here, I can see him cutting loose some day, I would love it of was against the westerners next Sunday.

How do ye see both the team and game unfolding

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4145 - 09/07/2019 13:51:41    2208441

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Well the big clash is approaching and despite what many will see as a team with wholesale changes, I personally can only see two changes max. I think he will retain the same keeper and back 6, with Gavin Crowley coming in around the middle for Barry and James in the corner at the expense of Dara Moynihan.

So: Shane Ryan, Jason Foley, Tadgh Morley, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Jack Sherwood, Gavin White, Gavin Crowley, David Moran, Diarmuid O'Connor, Seanie O'Shea, Stephen O'Brien, David Clifford, Paul Geaney and James O'Donoghue.

I'm sure PK and Co have noticed that the last game against Galway and similarly against Armagh that in the final straight the legs were wilting for Mayo and they allowed teams come back at them. I think if are within touching distance here we will prevail as the bench has serious legs and scoring ability in Dara Moynihan, Michaél Burns and Killian Spillane. Outside them then the is Adrain Spillane and muscle in Tommy and Gavin O'Brien.

Midfield Jack Barry and Spillane but I wouldn't rule out Tommy being an option to curb Aidan Shea. Defensive options are dropping Crowley back, Graham Sull, the other Tom Sullivan and Enright.

Match up wise for us I would match up us as follows, Jason Foley on Cillian O'Conner, Tadgh on Coen, Murphy on Carr, Sherwood on McDonagh if he starts and then the two greyhounds White and Tom Sullivan on the elder statesmen McLoughlin and Doherty. I think this would give us the better platform to build.

You have Crowley defensively with Sherwood protecting the 45's, Moran goes head to head with O'Shea, Seanie and Diarmuid are in around the centrefield area, Stephen and James come around the 45 where they have the space to take on the man and go. Vaughan, Keegan and Boyle and fine on the front foot but not as good anymore with the back to goals, they will bottle us up every chance they get so it is imperative that we create space for Clifford, James, Stephen and Paul to get the ball and take on the man and drive towards the opposing goals.

I think vocal support too is key here folks, we see how cynical Mayo can be, a "weak" ref in this regard would spell trouble for us. Does anyone know who has been entrusted with the whistle Sunday?

A not match fit Clifford gave Higgins enough of it in croker in the league final. A full fit and on the toes Clifford could make hay here, I can see him cutting loose some day, I would love it of was against the westerners next Sunday.

How do ye see both the team and game unfolding"
Sean Hurson of Tyrone is the man in the middle Horse.
Key things Kerry need are a) to be able to physically stand up to and match Mayo
b) to break even at least in midfield
c) weather the early storm as Mayo will come flying out of the traps.

Mayo are dangerous and have good momentum but I don't think they're half as good as the meedja would make out.
We need to let them know they are coming to our home, our patch. I hope we have a massive crowd in full voice to support our young side. Mayo will never have experienced a championship match in Killarney so let's not give them the chance to settle or feel their way in. Let them know they are in the lions den.

Quietly confident as things stand that Kerry can come out on top, I just think there's a few huge performances in this team and to be honest we haven't seen a huge performance from a Kerry side in more than 2 years so there's plenty in the tank surely!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 09/07/2019 14:34:41    2208467

Link

Well said lads it gives me a bit of confidence too hear you being so positive. I have a gut feeling gavin o brien will play a big part he is a big strong lad who can give and take a belt and he can play a bit of football as well

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 09/07/2019 15:29:05    2208496

Link

Killarney too will be fairly alien to Mayo they always play under lights in Tralee. That has to be worth a few points to us

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4145 - 09/07/2019 15:35:39    2208501

Link

Ryan
Foley Morley O'Sullivan
Murphy Sherwood Crowley
Moran Barry
MGeaney O'Shea O'Connor
Clifford Geaney SO'Brien

That's the team I would go with. It would leave a strong bench with O'Donoghue, White, Spillane, Moynihan, Burns, Griffin (in the half back line not midfield), Enright, Gavin O'Brien and Tommy. O'Donoghue and White are game changers from the bench. I would not start O'Donoghue because we need to have impact from the bench, I don't think all 3 of Clifford, Geaney and himself playing together works well and there is such a high chance of injury with him we would have a better chance of keeping him injury free for the whole campaign if he was coming off the bench and not playing whole games. For matchups in defence I would go with; Foley on O'Connor, Morley on Coen, O'Sullivan on McLoughlin, Crowley on McDonagh, Sherwood on Carr and Murphy on Doherty. White is dropped because I think having Crowley in there makes us significantly stronger as a defensive unit. I like the idea of him partnering Moran at midfield but I think we need him at wing back. Barry will be very lucky to start again as he does not provide much value but lack of options means I would start him and hope he somehow contributes especially on the defensive side which he used to be good at but does not seem to do it much anymore. I'd pick Mikey Geaney at wing forward because I think the key to winning the game will be not to be destroyed physically in the middle 8. I think he is perfect to help us here as he is experienced and seasoned and fairly strong. He would be able to mix it with the Mayo half back line. I also considered starting Gavin O'Brien for the same reason (physicality) but we need to be able to bring on physicality as well and not just have all the light lads on the bench. I don't we can afford to start Moynihan or Burns.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 310 - 09/07/2019 17:12:10    2208550

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Sean Hurson of Tyrone is the man in the middle Horse.
Key things Kerry need are a) to be able to physically stand up to and match Mayo
b) to break even at least in midfield
c) weather the early storm as Mayo will come flying out of the traps.

Mayo are dangerous and have good momentum but I don't think they're half as good as the meedja would make out.
We need to let them know they are coming to our home, our patch. I hope we have a massive crowd in full voice to support our young side. Mayo will never have experienced a championship match in Killarney so let's not give them the chance to settle or feel their way in. Let them know they are in the lions den.

Quietly confident as things stand that Kerry can come out on top, I just think there's a few huge performances in this team and to be honest we haven't seen a huge performance from a Kerry side in more than 2 years so there's plenty in the tank surely!!"
Kerry have 8 underweight U 21s on their panel as far as I know Mayo don't have any Under 21 ,advantage Mayo My fear is Mayo's bigger more experienced players will Horse Kerry out of it again. Will Seanie O Shea have toughened up enough to deal with Lee Keegan who will throw anything and everything at him, GPS if necessary! Kerry's mid field non existent so far, Aidan (The Bull ) o Shea ,who will take care of him? The Kerry 1/2 back line is weakest line on the field Kerry forwards good enough if given the right ball so far the build up has been slow and cumbersome. I am hoping against hope for a 50/50 break fro Hurston Killarney will be an advantage but at least 60% improvement from March /April showings is required .

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 711 - 09/07/2019 17:48:39    2208571

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Kerry have 8 underweight U 21s on their panel as far as I know Mayo don't have any Under 21 ,advantage Mayo My fear is Mayo's bigger more experienced players will Horse Kerry out of it again. Will Seanie O Shea have toughened up enough to deal with Lee Keegan who will throw anything and everything at him, GPS if necessary! Kerry's mid field non existent so far, Aidan (The Bull ) o Shea ,who will take care of him? The Kerry 1/2 back line is weakest line on the field Kerry forwards good enough if given the right ball so far the build up has been slow and cumbersome. I am hoping against hope for a 50/50 break fro Hurston Killarney will be an advantage but at least 60% improvement from March /April showings is required ."
Very few players will beat Keegan one v one, it's not all about toughness, he is just a brilliant footballer who will beat almost anybody.

I think we have been far too hard on Barry personally who was clearly injured during the Munster campaign. He has not delivered on his potential but I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

FWIW I think a half back line of Crowley, Morley and Murphy could be very solid. It needn't be our Achilles heel.

As for Aiden O'Shea I trust Moran to break even even there.

Mayo certainly have an advantage in terms of physicality but I think we have more pace at this stage and i wouldn't be writing us off. I'm quite hopeful. We will see Sunday evening if it's blind optimism or not.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1576 - 09/07/2019 20:04:38    2208621

Link

Good post. 37 not a good word to say again ciarrai abu

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 09/07/2019 20:37:34    2208641

Link

Ho ho the red thumbs Dubs are out in force tonight, never knew they were such big Mayo supporters

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 09/07/2019 21:05:15    2208664

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Well said lads it gives me a bit of confidence too hear you being so positive. I have a gut feeling gavin o brien will play a big part he is a big strong lad who can give and take a belt and he can play a bit of football as well"
Gavin O'Brien is 6,5 and unbelievably quick Gerry, exactly what we need , we need to run the legs off this Mayo team.

We have unbelievable speed and we've always had the football ability, I just hope itll all click for our young warriors on Sunday.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9692 - 09/07/2019 21:57:55    2208708

Link

Cant see us getting anything out of this match. Mayo will dominate us physically as they have done for the last number of years. We have some fine players but very few leaders who will stand up to Mayo. Mayo by 3

kingdomfan (Kerry) - Posts: 393 - 09/07/2019 22:14:22    2208725

Link

I actually can, and I don't think it's a case heart ruling the head. I think we have been beaten twice, we know the ploy, the plan and the methods. We have had three weeks to devise a plan and eight days to have players tuned into the Mayo system and how to counteract.

We are at home, younger, fresher and with better footballing ability. We have to not take the ball into contact, quick fast direct ball will give our forwards the better option, if the first run by the forward is successful you are at a serious advantage.

You just have to play to your advantage, I have no fear of AOS few years back Donegal bypassed him for 70 minutes. He has no pace and if a ref with conviction takes him to task the fight light darkens

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4145 - 09/07/2019 23:10:16    2208765

Link

I am also confident that we will win. This is Peter Keane's first big test. We will know a bit more about if he is good enough after Sunday. We all know the problems the question is can he overcome them? I sure hope he can!

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 310 - 09/07/2019 23:41:17    2208786

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I actually can, and I don't think it's a case heart ruling the head. I think we have been beaten twice, we know the ploy, the plan and the methods. We have had three weeks to devise a plan and eight days to have players tuned into the Mayo system and how to counteract.

We are at home, younger, fresher and with better footballing ability. We have to not take the ball into contact, quick fast direct ball will give our forwards the better option, if the first run by the forward is successful you are at a serious advantage.

You just have to play to your advantage, I have no fear of AOS few years back Donegal bypassed him for 70 minutes. He has no pace and if a ref with conviction takes him to task the fight light darkens"
A lot of what AO'S does is pure bullin and barging, but he'l be up for this coming down to the home of his kin, he'll want to put on a show for sure.

And I think it's a day where leaders can be born.

Can't wait for the team announcement Friday night.

Also anyone going to the U20s game Thursday night?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9692 - 10/07/2019 00:00:27    2208801

Link

Lads the time is getting close I'm as nervous as hell I hope it a new era.. Let's give these young guys all backing we can. No more knocking them as 37 seems too enjoy with his over analysis of everything and his in fatuation with muscle over skill. We will always have more skill than brawn in kerry that is the kerry way.. Come on the boys.. Ciarrai Abu

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 10/07/2019 06:24:16    2208825

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Lads the time is getting close I'm as nervous as hell I hope it a new era.. Let's give these young guys all backing we can. No more knocking them as 37 seems too enjoy with his over analysis of everything and his in fatuation with muscle over skill. We will always have more skill than brawn in kerry that is the kerry way.. Come on the boys.. Ciarrai Abu"
Muscle+skill = Tim Kennelly, John Cronin, John O Keefe ,Aidan O Mahony , Darragh O Sè+++++
Not evident yet in this panel so realism takes over from dreams and wishful thinking My dreams would also include beating Mayo (already failed to do this twice in the past 7 months , reality) , beating Donegal and stopping Dublin's 'drive for five' now I am dreaming !

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 711 - 10/07/2019 09:37:05    2208860

Link

Dara setting the scene nicely:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-playing-mayo-is-like-cod-liver-oil-you-don-t-enjoy-it-but-you-re-better-for-it-1.3951744

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 10/07/2019 10:24:38    2208891

Link