Galway Forum

Galway - NHL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Loughane likened MOD to 'Father Trendy' in the championship summer of 2016, and that comment was rooted in the same sort of observation, but MODs 'priestly' sideline manner still delivered the grandslam in 2017.

Shane O'Neill is possibly a little advanced intellectually to be bothering with excessive animation on the sideline. If he's rooted to the spot, staring out blankly at the awfulness unfolding in front of him next June, then we'll all be lobbying that he gets a 1 year term."
Yes indeed your Holiness. As a Limerick man I am not even remotely carried away by our sides performance last Sunday or would i be upset if I was a Galwegian. Simply said, All Irelands are not won in early February.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 05/02/2020 19:39:58    2265483

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Loughane likened MOD to 'Father Trendy' in the championship summer of 2016, and that comment was rooted in the same sort of observation, but MODs 'priestly' sideline manner still delivered the grandslam in 2017.

Shane O'Neill is possibly a little advanced intellectually to be bothering with excessive animation on the sideline. If he's rooted to the spot, staring out blankly at the awfulness unfolding in front of him next June, then we'll all be lobbying that he gets a 1 year term."
I remember those comments by Loughnane and I also remember that MOD was not happy with them when they were said yet definitely became more animated after they were said!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 05/02/2020 20:35:00    2265503

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I know its very early days and I'm not trying to be petty but I am a bit worried about the demeanor of the manager Shane O'Neill on the sideline. He seemed to be rooted to the spot, staring out blankly at the awfulness unfolding in front of him without much concern. I'm not saying he should act like a lunatic (like some others we all know!) but at least show a bit of animation or urgency as the players seem to feed off his lethargy and proceeded to follow his lead in that."
The only movement I saw from O Neill on Sunday was his face....smiling and laughing with his arms folded while watching D.Kilcummins, J.Flynn and B.Concannon running around in circles.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 05/02/2020 20:57:48    2265512

Link

If you're looking at what the manager is doing on the sideline, or even worse, if our players are looking at the sideline for inspiration, then we have far bigger problems. Anyone who has been on the sideline during a game knows the noise and commotion of the game, the size of the pitch, adrenaline pumping in players, and their focus on the job in hand means no amount of roaring or shouting from the sideline will make a wit of difference; something O'Neill has probably learned over the years and so prefers to save his energy for when his players can actually listen to him.

Team selection, training, man-management, etc. are the things I will judge him on. I couldn't give a fiddlers curse what he's doing on the sideline during the game, bar managing the subs. His work is done at that stage and it's up to the players to implement.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 05/02/2020 22:33:31    2265546

Link

Replying To katser:  "The only movement I saw from O Neill on Sunday was his face....smiling and laughing with his arms folded while watching D.Kilcummins, J.Flynn and B.Concannon running around in circles."
Exactly katser and that bothers me a little to tell you the truth. Fair enough he is a Limerick man but Davy Fitzgerald is a Clare man yet still acts animated (over the top some may argue!) on the sideline for Wexford.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 06/02/2020 02:10:21    2265571

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Exactly katser and that bothers me a little to tell you the truth. Fair enough he is a Limerick man but Davy Fitzgerald is a Clare man yet still acts animated (over the top some may argue!) on the sideline for Wexford."
Davy can jump up and down all he likes, challenge referees, get involved with opposing players, moan to the media and do one hundred other things but Wexford will still not be good enough to win an All Ireland.
They don't have enough good players.
We do.
S O'N looks a rational man to me.

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 06/02/2020 09:50:44    2265600

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "Davy can jump up and down all he likes, challenge referees, get involved with opposing players, moan to the media and do one hundred other things but Wexford will still not be good enough to win an All Ireland.
We do.
S O'N looks a rational man to me."
I know it's a different sport but when did anyone see Jim gavin getting excited or animated on the line and he did fairly ok I think

minor77 (Galway) - Posts: 53 - 06/02/2020 10:11:23    2265605

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "Davy can jump up and down all he likes, challenge referees, get involved with opposing players, moan to the media and do one hundred other things but Wexford will still not be good enough to win an All Ireland.
We do.
I am starting to wonder do we have the players. I come from the old school "" hit the so and so " can any one name 10 galway players who would not allow themselves to be pushed around on the field.
I am starting to lose faith in Flynn full of talent but very easy to quiten.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 312 - 06/02/2020 10:22:05    2265611

Link

Replying To minor77:  "I know it's a different sport but when did anyone see Jim gavin getting excited or animated on the line and he did fairly ok I think"
True but look at the players he had - he could have fielded 2 teams and still be quiet on the sideline as they motivated themselves.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 06/02/2020 10:38:56    2265613

Link

We do.
I think they have the players and we'll struggle to beat them imo. Davy gets the best from them also, not because he jumps up and down but because he is a good manager.

Jury still out on SON, but jumping up and down isn't going to win us an AI.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 06/02/2020 13:00:37    2265659

Link

Galway v Tip next week with tell us a lot. In the 2017 league final Galway had an aggression and will to win , we came away from that match knowing that Galway were close to winning the all Ireland, in the 2018 league match Limerick came from 10 points down to defeat Galway again it was obvious that Limerick would be contenders for All Ireland. On Sunday week we need to see a Galway team that has the passion and Skill to win 2020 All Ireland

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 312 - 06/02/2020 13:21:50    2265662

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Exactly katser and that bothers me a little to tell you the truth. Fair enough he is a Limerick man but Davy Fitzgerald is a Clare man yet still acts animated (over the top some may argue!) on the sideline for Wexford."
Tommy, this O'Neill lad is going to be a complete Disaster...I'd say he hasn't a clue and only took the Galway job for his own ego.
He drops lads because they are not ball winners?
How many balls did Concannon or Kilcommins or even Flynn win the last day!
He is trying to mould S. Cooney into a Galway no 6?
Shane is a great Club no 6 but is clearly out of his depth with a County no 6 Jersey.
O'Neill definitely isn't get the best out of Gmac, P.Mannion,C.Mannion, C.Whelan and C.Cooney its backwards they are going and these men would be the heart and engine of the team.
If the Manager is too easy going, laid back and not passionate about the job,well its obvious the players will be the same.
Galway don't even look fit or in shape. There is no aggression or even interest to burst a gut to win!
O'Neill needs to get the finger out!!!!!!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 06/02/2020 14:16:22    2265677

Link

Replying To katser:  "Tommy, this O'Neill lad is going to be a complete Disaster...I'd say he hasn't a clue and only took the Galway job for his own ego.
He drops lads because they are not ball winners?
How many balls did Concannon or Kilcommins or even Flynn win the last day!
He is trying to mould S. Cooney into a Galway no 6?
Shane is a great Club no 6 but is clearly out of his depth with a County no 6 Jersey.
O'Neill definitely isn't get the best out of Gmac, P.Mannion,C.Mannion, C.Whelan and C.Cooney its backwards they are going and these men would be the heart and engine of the team.
If the Manager is too easy going, laid back and not passionate about the job,well its obvious the players will be the same.
Galway don't even look fit or in shape. There is no aggression or even interest to burst a gut to win!
O'Neill needs to get the finger out!!!!!!"
connor connoy has played less then an hour under this manager and you can judge his form??? he was no worse then he has being last two years under MOD.

shane cooney was getting high praise from respected ex players for his performance last week but sure you know better.

jm25 (Galway) - Posts: 1085 - 06/02/2020 14:42:46    2265690

Link

Replying To jm25:  "connor connoy has played less then an hour under this manager and you can judge his form??? he was no worse then he has being last two years under MOD.

shane cooney was getting high praise from respected ex players for his performance last week but sure you know better."
Shane Cooney getting high praise my backside! At least it's good to know now he won't cut it at no 6 for the Championship!
We already have a no 3 (Burke) and Gmac is the no 6. Darragh Burke was brought on a sub the last day and dropped from the panel like a hot potato two days later.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 06/02/2020 15:37:29    2265706

Link

Replying To katser:  "Shane Cooney getting high praise my backside! At least it's good to know now he won't cut it at no 6 for the Championship!
We already have a no 3 (Burke) and Gmac is the no 6. Darragh Burke was brought on a sub the last day and dropped from the panel like a hot potato two days later."
well id rate JJ delaneys opinion on a centre back and still trying to figure out how you can tell connor conney has lost form under him without him playing a full game yet and the fact he been off the boil since 2018.

i could see p mannion at 6 this year gmac is not most mobile and teams the last year or so have been moving him around and not driving high balls on top of him.

touhy although he is a bit braindead at times trying to burst through tackles rather then moving the ball and fintan burke could take wing back roles.

i wonder if its worth trying canning in around 14 for a change try get him rediscover goal touch and give the team a bit more of a focal point in FF line.

jm25 (Galway) - Posts: 1085 - 06/02/2020 16:20:36    2265713

Link

Replying To jm25:  "well id rate JJ delaneys opinion on a centre back and still trying to figure out how you can tell connor conney has lost form under him without him playing a full game yet and the fact he been off the boil since 2018.

i could see p mannion at 6 this year gmac is not most mobile and teams the last year or so have been moving him around and not driving high balls on top of him.

touhy although he is a bit braindead at times trying to burst through tackles rather then moving the ball and fintan burke could take wing back roles.

i wonder if its worth trying canning in around 14 for a change try get him rediscover goal touch and give the team a bit more of a focal point in FF line."
Will you don't mind JJ Delaney or any of them other outsiders..they will only butter us up like they've been doing for years, the eyes don't lie and you can only go with what you see.
I'm saying O'Neill isn't getting the best out of Conor Cooney even though he made a difference when he came on.
Let him leave GMAC at 6 and P.Mannion wing back and not to be messing with team and confusing the players, it's his job to get them into shape and Sharpe.
I was thinking myself if Joe Canning played at 14 , would he rattle in consistent goals for us!
What would Conor Whelan be like at 11, he is some bull of a man!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 06/02/2020 17:07:54    2265725

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "I think they have the players and we'll struggle to beat them imo. Davy gets the best from them also, not because he jumps up and down but because he is a good manager.

Jury still out on SON, but jumping up and down isn't going to win us an AI."
I am not talking about "jumping up and down" but Kiely for Limerick or Sheedy for Limerick for instance are continuously trying to get the best out of their players during the game itself pointing out switches to be made or getting them to mark key opposition players or areas of the field more tightly etc. I saw none of that from SON even when Limerick were being allowed to make pretty little triangles with 20 / 30 yard stick passes to each other without much pressure from Galway players being applied thereby allowing soft scores to be conceded needlessly.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 06/02/2020 17:19:32    2265728

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I am not talking about "jumping up and down" but Kiely for Limerick or Sheedy for Limerick for instance are continuously trying to get the best out of their players during the game itself pointing out switches to be made or getting them to mark key opposition players or areas of the field more tightly etc. I saw none of that from SON even when Limerick were being allowed to make pretty little triangles with 20 / 30 yard stick passes to each other without much pressure from Galway players being applied thereby allowing soft scores to be conceded needlessly."
Correction - should have said Sheedy for Tipp above.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 06/02/2020 17:34:29    2265731

Link

Shane Cooney performed well in his first real test in a senior jersey..... he is the best center back in the county … or have you been hiding under stones for the last three years. The half backs held their positions in the early stages of the game and were doing ok ...... for some reason they started following the rotating Limerick forwards .... this led to gaps and didn't work ...... man to man will only work if you are on your opponents heels all the time...... this breakdown wasn't Shane Cooney's fault....... he had two experienced half back men with him......both of which are not too fond of making up ...... they should have been able to figure it out...... he deserves another shot at 6........ if they have a better 6, he should be accommodated in one of the other back positions. Add to that a mid-field pairing that offered no support to the half back line and the half backs often had wave after wave of Limerick men bursting through to contend with as well as their own men.

galwayforthecup (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 06/02/2020 17:42:15    2265734

Link

Hard believe posters giving out about management all ready , when clubs had choices 2,nominate people they didn't so fair play 2 this management team for stepping up ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 06/02/2020 17:48:11    2265735

Link