Derry Forum

Derry V Armagh

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

whats the latest on gerard o kane?.....is he expected to be fit for the game?i would be hopeful of an armagh win in clones....i think if we break even in midfield we have enough to do it. toner and vernon will start midfield and interestingly crossmaglens david mc kenna at 6.4..is to be thrown into midfield should the need arise..if we can deliver quick ball into the ff line i can see derry struggling to keep jamie clarke and stevie under wraps....hope fully im correct...id say armagh by 3

orchardman (Armagh) - Posts: 158 - 08/06/2011 13:26:20    950461

Link

stekhli
County: Dublin

due to the fact that this game is in clones , will that mean that very few derry supporters will travel?

Derry have a limited number of fans anyways but throw in this crazy venue pick and yes Derry supporters are not best pleased with the semi-final venue, due to the fact of the distance with some supporters in north Derry being asked to travel over 2hrs for a so called neutral venue, also have to take in to consideration the price of fuel on top of your ticket price and the game being on tv. Where as Armagh most hold more weight in the ulster council as they get their first choice venue ( clones is about 35min from Armagh city) while the two venues Derry asked for ( Omagh & Casement) which by the way are more fair on distance for each set of supporters are not given a second look. i'd say be lucky to get 12,000 fans at clones and of that maybe just about 1,000 will be oakleaf fans. Armagh will be heavy favorites with their players having more medals (ulster and all ireland club) in their pockets than Derry have hot dinners, but we have the Brennan factor and will not be afraid of the challenge ahead, i'm looking forward to it and giving the orchard county a scare.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 08/06/2011 14:04:08    950535

Link

As I stated earlier I will not be able to make the game, simply becuase I will not be in Ireland unfortunately.

I dont buy this "there wont be many at the game the game because its in Clones" - in all honesty we know there wont be many at the game becuase the Derry support base is rubbish and the band wagon hasnt got up and going yet. No doubt theyll all make it to Clones if we beat Armagh. Last year we played Kildare in DERRY, and I think there were more Kildare fans with a total attendance of less than 3000 i think, tells you all you need to know about Derry there.

Now, less about the venue and more about the football. In regards to O'Kane he undoubtedly will be a loss but its not the end of the world. We have a number of half backs who can do a job. The two danger areas for us is definitely the midfield and the full back line. If we lose either of these battles we will lose the game. On top of that our movement and finishing is going to have to be top class (alot better than against Fermanagh) if we are to win the game. Although I didnt see it, from reading papers I think our best performance this year was against Kildare. We will need to reproduce that sort of performance only at Championship pace come Sunday week I think.

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 08/06/2011 15:41:14    950688

Link

is okane definitely out , i thaught it was very much 50/50 it would be a massive loss despite the return of barry mcgoldrick , such was the rejuvinating and stylish manner in which armagh dealt with down i think armagh will have lose enough to 15,000 at the match , another ulster title would be massive for armagh not many of the current crop have won it , as for derry and their support base thats disappointing to hear i feel there is something unlucky about derry gaa , whenever they look like making the breakthrough ie making an ulster final they bottle it and underperform or pick up a raft of injuries before the semi , that looks like happening again with bradley snr already out and okane and muldoon both doubts , im not sure wht the derry team will be as there seems to be alot of new players in the setup so ill give it a go:
1 mullen
2 mcbride
3 mccloy
4 bateson
5 kielt
6 mcgoldrick
7 okane/donaghy
8 diver
9 holly/friel
10 mcgoldrick
11 lynch
12 oboyle
13 gilligan
14 muldoon
15 bradley
the likes of james kielt and declan mullen to make impacts off the bench

stekhli (Dublin) - Posts: 3116 - 08/06/2011 19:12:12    950976

Link

There is no-one in Armagh taking this game lightly. Derry are big and physical with talented footballers and a manager who will have them highly motivated. Those of us who were at the U21 game in Derry well remember the antics. A close call.

Veritas (Armagh) - Posts: 51 - 09/06/2011 13:50:47    951468

Link

Yes Veritas, but lets be honest, - yourself, Armagh supporters and Paddy O'Rourke expect to beat Derry. You could tell by Paddy O'Rourkes body language and tone of voice after the Down game that he expects to beat Derry. Oh yes he was saying the right things and trying to talk Derry up but not very convincingly.

On Armaghs last performance and on paper they look the better team. They are very strong all the way down the middle and add into that the class of Aaron Kernan and Jamie Clarke they will be difficult to beat. The advantage that Derry have is that Armagh will be strong favourites and expect to beat Derry.

After 13 years of disappointment (in relation to Derry reaching an Ulster Final), it would be a shock if Derry beat Armagh - but if John Brennan works his magic heres hoping ...

topcat1 (Derry) - Posts: 25 - 09/06/2011 17:59:57    951791

Link

lets hope jamie clarke is more focused on his skill sessions that he's advertising in the national newspaper (you could win a session with the best forward in ireland apparently) than Derry

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 09/06/2011 19:55:20    951912

Link

Said it once and said it before! This place is Dead. We need new recruits guys, I come here to see the craic and find myself reading over things from days ago, I could recite that last post now back to front haha, Come on you guys, You wouldnt think it was championship time, Wakey wakey and get down to clones on Sunday :D ! Doire Abu, Id say hmmm Derry by 2 maybe, Shall be a good game, has potential :)

Orlaith (Derry) - Posts: 4282 - 12/06/2011 20:13:20    954147

Link

i'm going to get the ball rolling this championship week with the team i'd pick for the big game

1.Gillis
2.McBride
3.McCloy
4.K.McGuckin
5.C.Kielt
6.B.McGoldrick
7.Batson
8.J.Diver
9.M.Friel
10.M.Lynch
11.S.L.McGoldrick
12.E.Muldoon
13.E.Bradley
14.C.O'Boyle
15.C.Gilligan

I've picked Gillis for experience ahead of the Devlin as i think Mickey C is carrying a knock, same again went for the experience of Kevin McGuckin ahead of McAlary. Friel's power for the first 35min and then when game open's up bring on the pace of P.J.McCloskey. Dont know if Gerard O'kane is fit so left him out. We have options in the forward line Enda could maybe line out in FF line with rossa's E.McGuckin playing in HF line

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 13/06/2011 12:55:14    954818

Link

Tough game to call.Armagh looked good last time out against down were you played a weak fermanagh side that tought yous nothing.Yous will need to stay focused because with the likes of stevie mac and jamie clarke in the forward lines these pair could cause havoc.Pity G.O.K is injured feel yous could of done with him.In saying that brennan will have the derry lads well prepped for this tie.

DUB1 (Dublin) - Posts: 5583 - 13/06/2011 15:12:09    955104

Link

It's all about belief on Sunday, we can win this match if everyone on the pitch shows up and does their job no problem. There should be no inferiority complex here John Brennan will do his job and get the boys as organised and up for the match as possible, but when its all set and done and the balls thrown up its up to the players to show their mettle and prove it on the pitch. Come on Derry 70 minutes away from an Ulster final!

south_derry (Derry) - Posts: 47 - 13/06/2011 18:14:44    955413

Link

1. M. Conlon (if fit) but all three keepers are very capable
2. K. McGuckin (experience would stabilise what has been a problem area at times)
3. K. McCloy (coming back to himself after a couple of difficult years, will repay Brennan's faith in him, he is a leader)
4. D. McBride (Derry's best back for the past two years, will be needed for young Clarke)
5. C. Kielt (G.O'Kane if fit)
6. B. McGoldrick
7. M. Bateson
8. J. Diver
9. P.J. McCloskey (although I do see the argument for Friel's raw strength against a strong Armagh midfield)
10. Mark Lynch
11. S.L. McGoldrick
12. E. McGuckin (good ballwinner, forceful player)
13. Conleth Gilligan
14. Enda (but dropping deep most of the time with wing forwards pushing on)
15. Skinner

Pretty much the same team as brolly_4_pres, with one or two differences - C. O'Boyle and M. Friel would be next two on my list.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 13/06/2011 18:56:59    955460

Link

should be a good game as both teams are using the great players at their disposal and playing an extremely attracctive style of play

stekhli (Dublin) - Posts: 3116 - 13/06/2011 20:34:19    955622

Link

is okane definitely out , any word on ticket sales in doire

stekhli (Dublin) - Posts: 3116 - 13/06/2011 20:35:10    955624

Link

doiregael2 wrote

' K. McCloy (coming back to himself after a couple of difficult years, will repay Brennan's faith in him, he is a leader)'

I literally nearly fell off the seat laughing at that comment.

MickeyMouse (Derry) - Posts: 174 - 14/06/2011 11:16:19    955886

Link

stekhli
County: Dublin

is okane definitely out , any word on ticket sales in doire

I've heard Gerard will be checked out on Wednesday to see if he's fit enough for the panel, look's likely he will not start.

Mickeymouse your laughing at McCloy but who would you choose at FB, as obviously there is a lack of natural FB's in the county as during Cassidys final year in 2010 he dropped McCloy and we still had issues in that area, in fact the so called weak teams we faced in the backdoor Carlow & Westmeath targeted this area as Derry's weak point with high ball after high ball being kicked in on our full back line.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 14/06/2011 11:41:08    955920

Link

I see David Coldrick is doing referee. Has anyone any memories doing Derry games. I cant really which I suppose is probably a good sign. Think he done our league final against Kerry in 08.

Trying to pick my team and as usual the big worry is the full back line.

Whether O'Rourke or Mallon start along side Clarke and McDonnell, I think they will be too fast for McCloy and leave us exposed, so despite our lack of options I think it would be best in this instance to leave McCloy out, and go with McBride on Clarke, McGuckian on McDonnell and McAlary on O'Rourke or Mallon. However saying that, from what I remember Armagh played alot of diagnol high ball to the full forwards against Down (im not 100% on this,I was quite drunk), which I think would be suited for McCloy more than the rest.

Another option, which I wouldnt be surprised to see would be Sean Leo playing in the half back line at the expense of McGuckian and bring in Decky Mullan or James Kielt into half or full forward (moving O'Boyle out).

I also wouldnt mind seeing Emmet McGuckian in at some stage.

Taking all into consideration I'll go with either;

1. Devlin
2. McBride
3. McCloy (but if hes getting roasted after ten minutes bring McAlary or maybe Bateson in for him)
4. McGuckian
5. C Kielt
6. B McGoldrick
7. O'kane
8. Friel
9. Diver
10. Enda
11.Lynch
12. SL McGoldrick
13. Gilligan
14. C O'Boyle
15. E Bradley

or if O'kane isnt fit

1. Devlin
2. McBride
3. McCloy (but if hes getting roasted after ten minutes bring McGuckian in for him)
4. Bateson
5. C Kielt
6. B McGoldrick
7. SL McGoldrick
8. Friel
9. Diver
10. Enda
11.Lynch
12. J Kielt
13. Gilligan
14. C O'Boyle
15. E Bradley

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 14/06/2011 12:05:17    955952

Link

How about Fergal Doherty, if Brennan had taken the time to go and talk to the man himself, the great Brennan has catually never spoken to Dohery. Kevin Mc Guckin is another, I see He has been brought back unto the panel, either one would be significantly superior.

MickeyMouse (Derry) - Posts: 174 - 14/06/2011 12:41:27    955989

Link

If we can keep it tight like in 2007 and not give away too many free's i think we'll grow into the game and hopefully take control in the second half and push on. I think Brennan will install a belief in the team that will make us hard to break down. Armagh were good against Down but we've done a few jobs on Tyrone sides in the past and not follow it up so we shouldn't fear them, sundays a new game.

This_Year (Derry) - Posts: 105 - 14/06/2011 15:01:17    956177

Link

Not a hope in hell Gerard O'Kane will be playing, he wont even be on the bench.
The lad nearly had his thigh bone snapped in 2 so you can imagine how bad a dead leg it was.

Is Joe OKane still on the panel, he is an option at full back, certainly more mobile than McCloy.
As for giving McCloy ten mins, the game could be over in ten minutes. Id give him the 1st ball and if he aint near it id have him off.

Im very fearful for this match, Armagh have shown a lot more promise than Derry have of late.

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 14/06/2011 16:39:20    956292

Link