Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

hard to watch maybe, but a great win, and these lads need to get it in their heads that they are capable of getting out of this division, at times today we played with a great composure, I was sure during the week we would win this, and we did, I've been watching Carlow teams for over 30 years and its probably as long since I seen a Carlow teanm play to a plan. I honestly believe this is our best chance to get out of div 4 in many years. the last time we got of the bottom we also beat limerick so maybe the stars will align

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1283 - 26/02/2017 02:31:38    1960765

Link

Great to get the win last night. That defensive system is dreadful to look at though, we had all 15 inside our own 45 at one stage near the end. Takes huge work rate to play that system but they put it in in fairness and look fitter than this stage previous years.

Thought the atmosphere under the lights was much better than a Sunday afternoon which helped and the crows was bigger also despite the clash with the end of the rugby.

Big game away to Leitrim next week. Will Paul Broderick be back or did he get two match suspension?

Good day all round with minors finishing group stage of league with 100% winning record beating Tipp yesterday.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1228 - 26/02/2017 08:53:10    1960796

Link

Huge win last night as losers went out of promotion race.
Well done to all concerned and great to see Sean Gannon back.

Makes the leitrim game a massive opportunity and results
today may be interesting.

Waterford are the dark horses in all of this

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1102 - 26/02/2017 10:21:57    1960821

Link

Wasn't pretty I agree but who cares, we got the win!!. Brendan back to his superb best and looks very hungry. Gannon's steadying influence and passing ability a huge asset. Thought he did very well in his first game since September. Leitrim has now become a huge game and I hope we have good travelling support. It seems our best performances over the last few years are saved for away games.

Anyway well done to all. Let's see what happens in other Div 4 games today. Weather to play a big part.

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 251 - 26/02/2017 11:56:55    1960890

Link

wexford are now top of the table after beating Waterford, they have a tricky visit to aughrim next week though and still have to play ourselves and Westmeath, Waterford are home to Westmeath next week and are away to us after that, we have Leitrim away next week all of our games are must wins now but I do think next week will define a number of counties year. as it stands only limerick are out of the equation

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1283 - 26/02/2017 14:52:06    1960958

Link

Where is wondering with his analysis today ? Never comes on for an honest opinion after we win. Probably hiding after the tipp game. We will wait for him to raise his head again ;)

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 185 - 26/02/2017 19:43:50    1961207

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "Where is wondering with his analysis today ? Never comes on for an honest opinion after we win. Probably hiding after the tipp game. We will wait for him to raise his head again ;)"
Wonder boy even. !

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 185 - 26/02/2017 19:52:59    1961221

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "Wonder boy even. !"
Afraid we might bypass them as we go up to Div. 3 as they come down to 4!

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1228 - 26/02/2017 20:09:57    1961232

Link

Lads... let's be realistic here... Wexford and Westmeath are going to be promoted... we would have had a great chance, but we blew it by losing to London... Good win over Limerick, but they are bottom of the table and the only team with zero points... So, they obviously have a lot of problems.. Once again, everyone is getting ahead of themselves... I'd love to believe Carlow are gonna do something special, but I think we all need calm down a bit...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 327 - 26/02/2017 20:50:16    1961263

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Lads... let's be realistic here... Wexford and Westmeath are going to be promoted... we would have had a great chance, but we blew it by losing to London... Good win over Limerick, but they are bottom of the table and the only team with zero points... So, they obviously have a lot of problems.. Once again, everyone is getting ahead of themselves... I'd love to believe Carlow are gonna do something special, but I think we all need calm down a bit..."
Wouldn't you let us do a little of the winding up for once,no ? Friendly intercounty back and forth

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 185 - 26/02/2017 20:54:44    1961271

Link

I wasn't at the match on Saturday evening.

There has been much comment here about how we are over using the short kick out.

From anyone who was at the match I'd like to know were we still at the same thing or did we mix it more with some long kick outs?

BB

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 26/02/2017 22:01:52    1961331

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "I wasn't at the match on Saturday evening.

There has been much comment here about how we are over using the short kick out.

From anyone who was at the match I'd like to know were we still at the same thing or did we mix it more with some long kick outs?

BB"
WellI think there was 1 mark inthe entire match. That surely says something. They are trying really hard I will give them that but it's a shocking standardof football.l be very surprised if we beat Leitrim let alone Wexford.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 27/02/2017 01:56:21    1961384

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "I wasn't at the match on Saturday evening.

BB"
Bit more variety from what I saw. Although there wasn't a whole lot of kickouts from carlow in comparison to the usual. Suppose given the conditions and the packed back line there were less wides and scores than usual. Still a couple of short ones but no risky ones

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 185 - 27/02/2017 08:34:41    1961412

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Lads... let's be realistic here... Wexford and Westmeath are going to be promoted... we would have had a great chance, but we blew it by losing to London... Good win over Limerick, but they are bottom of the table and the only team with zero points... So, they obviously have a lot of problems.. Once again, everyone is getting ahead of themselves... I'd love to believe Carlow are gonna do something special, but I think we all need calm down a bit..."
There is no guarantee on who will be promoted certainly Wexford and Westmeath are favorites as they are unbeaten but that could change this weekend, and they still have to play each other too.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1283 - 27/02/2017 13:25:55    1961581

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "There is no guarantee on who will be promoted certainly Wexford and Westmeath are favorites as they are unbeaten but that could change this weekend, and they still have to play each other too."
If Carlow get promoted this year in football, I'll leave a pint behind the bar in Brennan's in Graiguecullen for every poster on this forum.

And I'd be happy to do it. But I know I won't have to.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 327 - 27/02/2017 14:44:08    1961628

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "If Carlow get promoted this year in football, I'll leave a pint behind the bar in Brennan's in Graiguecullen for every poster on this forum.

And I'd be happy to do it. But I know I won't have to."
ExcEllen. Can I bring the wife and kids?

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 27/02/2017 15:58:19    1961669

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "If Carlow get promoted this year in football, I'll leave a pint behind the bar in Brennan's in Graiguecullen for every poster on this forum.

And I'd be happy to do it. But I know I won't have to."
Excellent. Can I bring the wife and kids?

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 27/02/2017 15:58:47    1961671

Link

Fair play lads great win for Carlow!

Laois are in a real dogfight now, talking about glum leaving O'Moore Park the other night!!

Wonderboy is no more, as he's not allowed to post on here for some reason ;)

Matador (Laois) - Posts: 4 - 27/02/2017 19:38:53    1961793

Link

Replying To Matador:  "Fair play lads great win for Carlow!

Laois are in a real dogfight now, talking about glum leaving O'Moore Park the other night!!

Wonderboy is no more, as he's not allowed to post on here for some reason ;)"
Welcome back Wonder. Think you're being overoptimistic barrowsider.Realistically we are still 3 forwards and 3 backs short of a good fifteen, it's too big a gap to bridge imo.Now if only we could get benny K, gahan,danny thompson, beaton from st.Andrews in we would be going places but wishful thinking i suppose.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 28/02/2017 10:59:10    1961970

Link

Replying To dead_as_dodos:  "Welcome back Wonder. Think you're being overoptimistic barrowsider.Realistically we are still 3 forwards and 3 backs short of a good fifteen, it's too big a gap to bridge imo.Now if only we could get benny K, gahan,danny thompson, beaton from st.Andrews in we would be going places but wishful thinking i suppose."
Benny Kavanagh is a big loss, think it was a serious knee or cruciate injury so he won't be back anytime soon. Gahan can't make it due to work (typical small county problem) If he was on the Dublin team, i'm sure they'd find a way to sort that out. Beaton would be a big addition.
Agree we are strong down the middle, but need another couple of scoring forwards. Broderick being suspended hits us hard, it takes away our best free taker and only accurate forward who will take on a shot from anywhere.
Anybody know how long/many games Broderick is suspended for?

Was good to see a lot more long kickouts on Sat night, we won or got breaks of the majority of them. 2 of our points came from long kick out, won/flicked on, then forward got it and scored. Instead of the rubbish we saw v London where every kick out was short and they must have got about 1-6 off our mistakes.

Leitrim now on Sunday, a must win. I see from the reports of that game that they were cleaned out at midfield by Westmeath. Hopefully Turlough & Stephen know that & tell Kearney to aim every kick at Murphy & possibly Gannon too.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 28/02/2017 20:23:42    1962303

Link