Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Played 5 championship games in 2001. Brendan Murphy huge loss. It's so frustrating that he had his ban overturned and then did the same thing against London. I think starting gannon mid field and ciaran Moran up front is our best option. Think gannon could really excel at midfield.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 27/06/2017 21:27:03    2006537

Link

Replying To Bimb:  "Played 5 championship games in 2001. Brendan Murphy huge loss. It's so frustrating that he had his ban overturned and then did the same thing against London. I think starting gannon mid field and ciaran Moran up front is our best option. Think gannon could really excel at midfield."
Sorry he didn't do the same thing,We thought Brendan had a sombre type of game, It's possible he was ear marked because both yellows were questionable, I have never seen him play such a low key game by his own standards, it's as if he was nervous about getting stuck in, anyway that's only my opinion.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 27/06/2017 21:42:41    2006550

Link

Replying To Bimb:  "Played 5 championship games in 2001. Brendan Murphy huge loss. It's so frustrating that he had his ban overturned and then did the same thing against London. I think starting gannon mid field and ciaran Moran up front is our best option. Think gannon could really excel at midfield."
You're right, wasn't thinking that Moran didn't start on Sunday. Gannon & Sean Murphy is a quality midfield. I'd still like to see O'Neill or even O'Brien brought into the half forwards. Our 10 & 12 both work hard but we need a more natural forward in at least 1 of them positions.

Yes 2001, i forgot we drew with Wicklow 1st before beating them in replay in Newbridge. I had that in my mind as the 1 game. Well then it will be 1st time we could win 3 championship games in 1 year!

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 27/06/2017 21:59:26    2006562

Link

Did we win 3 round round Robin games 21 years ago against wexford wicklow and somebody else? Or were there on two games. Went on to play meath. I think Shane o Neill is gone off panel. Agree but half forward but don't think suBs are any more natural.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 27/06/2017 22:39:19    2006586

Link

Replying To The Real 1944:  "You're right, wasn't thinking that Moran didn't start on Sunday. Gannon & Sean Murphy is a quality midfield. I'd still like to see O'Neill or even O'Brien brought into the half forwards. Our 10 & 12 both work hard but we need a more natural forward in at least 1 of them positions.

Yes 2001, i forgot we drew with Wicklow 1st before beating them in replay in Newbridge. I had that in my mind as the 1 game. Well then it will be 1st time we could win 3 championship games in 1 year!"
We won three in 1944.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 327 - 27/06/2017 23:45:58    2006613

Link

Replying To Bimb:  "Did we win 3 round round Robin games 21 years ago against wexford wicklow and somebody else? Or were there on two games. Went on to play meath. I think Shane o Neill is gone off panel. Agree but half forward but don't think suBs are any more natural."
No we just won the 2 that year. Wexford & then Wicklow. Scored 4 goals in each if I remember right, Colm Hayden, Muckle Keating and Willie Quinlan all getting goals. Then played Meath in Croke Park and lost by 18 points.
That's a serious pity if O'Neill is gone off panel. I'd have had him in as one of the 1st subs in every game. A natural scoring forward, we're not exactly blessed with many

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 28/06/2017 00:18:20    2006623

Link

OMG.! - Has it come to this, we have won one game in the leinster championship and one in the qualifiers so far, then all the way back to 1944 when we played three games, in between Carlow played five in 2001. How complementary and exciting, - - ?? could end up winning a grand total of two in 2017.?

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 28/06/2017 10:30:24    2006707

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "OMG.! - Has it come to this, we have won one game in the leinster championship and one in the qualifiers so far, then all the way back to 1944 when we played three games, in between Carlow played five in 2001. How complementary and exciting, - - ?? could end up winning a grand total of two in 2017.?"
Hear hear. On the team front I'd play gannon in midfield. my half forwards would be Clarke- moran-obrien. we should have a go at Leitrim who will be very brittle after roscommon mauling, if we get a good score up they will fold.Then introduce the holding players . I can't bear any more of this 14 behind the ball stuff not to mention the stress of the close finishes.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 28/06/2017 14:30:00    2006888

Link

That wouldn't be good club half forward line...O Brien really????

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 255 - 28/06/2017 16:25:56    2006980

Link

I'd not be inclined to suddenly decide to have a go, that could end in disaster, stick with what we are at, its a work in progress, we are now hard to beat something that we haven't been able to say in a while, its not pretty but it's relatively effective, I'd be very happy if we grind out a one point win against Leitrim.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1283 - 28/06/2017 16:37:23    2006989

Link

Agree barrowsider. One thing that I was suprised at against London was when we had a free kick that st ledger seemed confident of kicking off the ground we ended up taking the free backwaRd instead of going for a point. Surrey having a pop at goal was a better option. But in general I think our record this year of 6 wins a draw and 3 defeats is a huge improvement. I think the team is better than the sum of the parts. That'd all we could have hoped for.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 28/06/2017 17:24:48    2007015

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "We won three in 1944."
No. We only won two games in 44. Won the semi v Wexford then final v Dublin and lost all Ireland semi to Kerry. We had no game before the Leinster semi and had a bye to that stage. Do you not remember!

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1228 - 28/06/2017 17:48:51    2007029

Link

Replying To Dualclub1:  "That wouldn't be good club half forward line...O Brien really????"
Not saying he is brilliant but he can take a score. The 2 there at the moment are no threat to scoreboard whatsoever. It's Leitrim for god's sake not the Dubs. Take a chance and quit this mindbendingly boring system for one game anyway,

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 28/06/2017 18:56:44    2007063

Link

Replying To dead_as_dodos:  "Not saying he is brilliant but he can take a score. The 2 there at the moment are no threat to scoreboard whatsoever. It's Leitrim for god's sake not the Dubs. Take a chance and quit this mindbendingly boring system for one game anyway,"
Jeez Dead As, in your last post you were complaining of the stress of the close finishes and now your problem is boredom.

You'd better decide which you want. Excitement or boredom. At the minute you're complaining about both!

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 28/06/2017 20:00:47    2007088

Link

Darragh Foley almost always gets a few scores. Alan Kelly is well capable as he did against wexfOrd. Ruth is there for his physicality.I really don't see how o brien is better than any of these either attacking or defending. Why change the system now. It proven effective against division four teams. Admittedly we could push on a little more but nothing drastic.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 28/06/2017 20:03:46    2007089

Link

Replying To dead_as_dodos:  "Not saying he is brilliant but he can take a score. The 2 there at the moment are no threat to scoreboard whatsoever. It's Leitrim for god's sake not the Dubs. Take a chance and quit this mindbendingly boring system for one game anyway,"
Take a chance ? In knockout football ? Win by hook or crook. I prefer watching them win boring rather than losing by ten and just playing recklessly for the sake of it. First time in years we have won a few games. More of the same please !!

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 185 - 28/06/2017 20:08:34    2007093

Link

Replying To Bimb:  "Darragh Foley almost always gets a few scores. Alan Kelly is well capable as he did against wexfOrd. Ruth is there for his physicality.I really don't see how o brien is better than any of these either attacking or defending. Why change the system now. It proven effective against division four teams. Admittedly we could push on a little more but nothing drastic."
Completely agree, the reason we are competitive is the discipline J Murphy, A Kelly & Ruth play with. How many times have we seen Carlow go man for man and get mauled.

For the first time in a long time we have a team that we can follow and know we will be there or thereabouts coming into the final quarter.

Credit must go to the management for the job they have done with this group of players.

Carlowman44 (Carlow) - Posts: 10 - 29/06/2017 09:23:53    2007275

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Jeez Dead As, in your last post you were complaining of the stress of the close finishes and now your problem is boredom.

You'd better decide which you want. Excitement or boredom. At the minute you're complaining about both!"
Read my posts in full Bogger. I said I couldn't take much more of the 14 men behind the ball (i.e.boring s**T) and this type of play leads to the close finishes that are stressing me out as well. Geddit? Anyway since when was getting over London and Leitrim the height of everyone's ambition. All a bit sad IMO. Lads talking about the hammerings we got when we went man to man, ffs lad's it's LEITRIM.Have a go.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 29/06/2017 10:56:16    2007338

Link

Replying To dead_as_dodos:  "Read my posts in full Bogger. I said I couldn't take much more of the 14 men behind the ball (i.e.boring s**T) and this type of play leads to the close finishes that are stressing me out as well. Geddit? Anyway since when was getting over London and Leitrim the height of everyone's ambition. All a bit sad IMO. Lads talking about the hammerings we got when we went man to man, ffs lad's it's LEITRIM.Have a go."
It's Leitrim that beat Carlow in the league. And who are at a similar level to us for the past twenty years or so... thus, I'll take a boring win over a glorious failure... thanks...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 327 - 29/06/2017 11:54:58    2007370

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "It's Leitrim that beat Carlow in the league. And who are at a similar level to us for the past twenty years or so... thus, I'll take a boring win over a glorious failure... thanks..."
Leitrim have been ahead of us over the last 20 years and even escaped to div 3 at a few points.

We should stick to the system that has worked and got us our best year for decades.

Defense defense defense

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1102 - 29/06/2017 12:20:50    2007384

Link