Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To dead_as_dodos:  "Please Bainisteoir let's not go the hype route. We have beaten 1 div.3/4 team in champ. Wait until we beat somebody of note before you start on about best prepared team in history. I hope you're proven right but stall the ball awhile ."
Dead as ... No hype, this is the best prepared Carlow side period, however this is against a mediocre at best historic baseline and is relative to the level of effort other county teams have been putting in for years so don't be jumping the gun and reading things into my comments . I am certainly realistic about next Saturday and we are likely to bluntly see the gulf in standards between the top table and those that dine off scraps. Last week we beat a team probably around our standard but given we seem to have finally got our act together on and off the field was no more that was to be expected

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 476 - 27/05/2017 20:55:18    1991303

Link

If Carlow are competive for the 70 min and give %100 in effort the end result shouldn't be to important looking in to the back door. Theres already positives to take from the league and wexford game. The team and management will know the the gulf in class and so if they leave everything on the pitch regaurdless of the result there will be optimism going forward.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 01/06/2017 13:50:41    1993069

Link

Portlaoise Town will be buzzing get up early for some craic with the Dubs!...Should be a great day out.

No better Town in Ireland for Drink ...Sure its all they do?

BigJohn.6_8 (Galway) - Posts: 704 - 01/06/2017 16:45:47    1993146

Link

Best of luck tomorrow lads, can't wait until throw in. No matter how good Dublin are, any sportsperson wants to test themselves against the best in their field and Carlow should be no different. Saw the team and I reckon Gannon will be in early enough. Full back line could do with a bit more speed but how and ever, give em hell lads.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1092 - 02/06/2017 19:57:45    1993680

Link

Replying To fergie:  "Best of luck tomorrow lads, can't wait until throw in. No matter how good Dublin are, any sportsperson wants to test themselves against the best in their field and Carlow should be no different. Saw the team and I reckon Gannon will be in early enough. Full back line could do with a bit more speed but how and ever, give em hell lads."
All the very best to the footballers tomorrow.

From the time I saw them in the first league match away in Mullingar I had the feeling they were a team that didn't realize how good they were. Fair enough, they had a few wobbles in the league, but they deserve their outing tomorrow. They have some really fine talent and a few coming through too.

Compete for everything lads, everything is there to play for!

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 02/06/2017 22:24:30    1993746

Link

Is Benny Kavanagh still involved with Carlow footballers?

Gael85 (Dublin) - Posts: 1433 - 02/06/2017 22:57:46    1993761

Link

Replying To Gael85:  "Is Benny Kavanagh still involved with Carlow footballers?"
Injured.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 03/06/2017 11:45:11    1993862

Link

best of luck today lads, enjoy your day, hope ye come out of it with pride and thing ye will, lot giving out about the championship set up, but these are the days we long for at our level, its a special day for ye have good one, shame on gaa for taking the game out of carlow, cant understand as we were assured before we played ye that we had the game in wexford pk, so why is there different rules for wexford and carlow? i think your co board messed up here lads

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 1831 - 03/06/2017 13:35:10    1993905

Link

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "best of luck today lads, enjoy your day, hope ye come out of it with pride and thing ye will, lot giving out about the championship set up, but these are the days we long for at our level, its a special day for ye have good one, shame on gaa for taking the game out of carlow, cant understand as we were assured before we played ye that we had the game in wexford pk, so why is there different rules for wexford and carlow? i think your co board messed up here lads"
Fraid so. Total disrespect to Carlow. It would appear a few season ticket holders in Dublin are more important than Carlovians.
Imagine how the businesses in Carlow feel about this.... they are repeatedly tapped to support the GAA but yet the GAA do not
allow them some payback. Did you notice that the stand was not even full so the moneybags didn't even get that correct.

As for the ref today!! Brendan's first yellow today was fro an arm across the chest, Seán Murphy was stopped with two swinging arms
to the neck one from a player who should not still have been on the pitch. Retro sanctions are no use to us now.

Well done to ALL the Carlow players, the trainers and manager - a show to be proud of and a special well done to Seán Murphy for the display of
the championship so far.

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 152 - 03/06/2017 21:30:34    1994112

Link

Replying To moll:  "Fraid so. Total disrespect to Carlow. It would appear a few season ticket holders in Dublin are more important than Carlovians.
Imagine how the businesses in Carlow feel about this.... they are repeatedly tapped to support the GAA but yet the GAA do not
allow them some payback. Did you notice that the stand was not even full so the moneybags didn't even get that correct.

As for the ref today!! Brendan's first yellow today was fro an arm across the chest, Seán Murphy was stopped with two swinging arms
to the neck one from a player who should not still have been on the pitch. Retro sanctions are no use to us now.

Well done to ALL the Carlow players, the trainers and manager - a show to be proud of and a special well done to Seán Murphy for the display of
the championship so far."
Agreed. If only we had a few more Sean Murphys. We gave it everything but we are very limited in the way we play. No forward scored from play and we scored 3 points fron play in 76 minutes of football. We started with the same half forward line that failed against Wexford. Two of them ,Alan Kelly and Foley were not at the races yet Foley was left on for the whole game. Until we get real about these issues we won't make any consistent progress. I commend the team on giving it everything but we shouldn't be happy with a 12 point defeat, AI champs or not.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 03/06/2017 22:22:11    1994154

Link

Well, the game worked out like everyone said it would, Dublin won it.

It was a terrific Carlow performance. Great guts and discipline. I cannot compliment players and management enough.

I don't know what the GAA are going to do about refereeing and cynical play. Truth is they destroyed the game today. Linesman/referee got it all wrong for the sending off.

Brendan Murphy was stopped in his tracks when trying to make a run off the ball when Carlow had a free. He and the perpetrator pushed and shoved one another. Dublin player gets away Scot free, Brendan gets a second yellow.

I'm not trying to say we would have won. Dublin were too good to be brutally honest. But in that one moment the game was changed on its head.

Look at that together with the ' home advantage' we were meant to have and the GAA can be rightfully accused of discrimination against weaker counties. The stand had hundreds of empty seats today.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 03/06/2017 22:29:52    1994162

Link

Not a great match as a spectacle, however Carlow were on a damage limitations exercise from beginning to end which they by and large executed well enough. Given we have the safety blanket of the qualifiers it was a sensible enough approach and not come out with a demoralising 20+ point hiding. I thought Sean 'choo choo' Murphy had a fine game as had Gannon who both took it to the Dubs. Brendan Murphy was not as influential as in the Wexford game in the middle of the park, he was certainly getting some close attention but the overall we were not set up to score but contain. It was interesting to see we didn't push up on their kick outs but they did on ours where we had a poor enough return.

- I also would love to have seen jimmy mcguiness 's views on how we executed his blanket defence doctrine - totally valid for a team not blessed with15 natural footballers Anyway we have developed into a difficult team to play against and breakdown and against opposition more at our level we might have a bit of a run ahead of us. The sending off (harsh over the 2 cards) certainly cost us a couple of points - Fenton became very prominent after that.

Dublin were made look fairly ordinary but hats off to the Carlow team and management who worked their socks off

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 476 - 04/06/2017 00:26:02    1994212

Link

I c.an understand that we ceded Dublin their own kicks out because we wanted as many men behind ball as possible. What I cannot fathom is why we also gave our own kicks out to Dublin by having all our players inside the 45 and then our keeper kicking it to a line of Dublin players outside the 45. At the very least we should have changed it after 3 or 4 attempts. it was bizarre stuff.We were unlucky with the sending off but it was very naive stuff from carlow player. Hughie gahan is a huge loss to team cos he is another player who can ride the tackle at pace hopefully he'll be back next year.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 04/06/2017 01:55:11    1994222

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Well, the game worked out like everyone said it would, Dublin won it.

It was a terrific Carlow performance. Great guts and discipline. I cannot compliment players and management enough.

I don't know what the GAA are going to do about refereeing and cynical play. Truth is they destroyed the game today. Linesman/referee got it all wrong for the sending off.

Brendan Murphy was stopped in his tracks when trying to make a run off the ball when Carlow had a free. He and the perpetrator pushed and shoved one another. Dublin player gets away Scot free, Brendan gets a second yellow.

I'm not trying to say we would have won. Dublin were too good to be brutally honest. But in that one moment the game was changed on its head.

Look at that together with the ' home advantage' we were meant to have and the GAA can be rightfully accused of discrimination against weaker counties. The stand had hundreds of empty seats today."
Ah here, complaining that you don't get breaks because your best midfielder was harshly put off the field? Have you selective amnesia? The very same happened in the last game you played.

And as per the last game, the losing team can have no real complaints as the victors were better on both days regardless of referees.

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 526 - 04/06/2017 10:20:28    1994266

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Well, the game worked out like everyone said it would, Dublin won it.

Look at that together with the ' home advantage' we were meant to have and the GAA can be rightfully accused of discrimination against weaker counties. The stand had hundreds of empty seats today."
Blackbogger, I can fully understand your disappointment but I suggest you take another look at that incident. Brendan hauled the Dublin player to the ground, around the neck, which was a blatant yellow card. The first yellow was harsh, but the second one was correct. I can also understand your frustration at some of the other decisions, but maybe now you can appreciate how frustrated and disappointed we felt leaving NCP 2 weeks ago.

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 379 - 04/06/2017 11:23:30    1994296

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "Blackbogger, I can fully understand your disappointment but I suggest you take another look at that incident. Brendan hauled the Dublin player to the ground, around the neck, which was a blatant yellow card. The first yellow was harsh, but the second one was correct. I can also understand your frustration at some of the other decisions, but maybe now you can appreciate how frustrated and disappointed we felt leaving NCP 2 weeks ago."
Cooper should have got a black card for his part in the second yellow incident. He repeatedly pulled Murphy's jersey stopping him joining in an attack. Definite black card offence. Linesman saw it all but disgracefully chose to cite Murphy alone.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1228 - 04/06/2017 12:25:36    1994332

Link

How many times has Brendan Murphy been sent off in his career?

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1348 - 04/06/2017 12:36:42    1994348

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "How many times has Brendan Murphy been sent off in his career?"
bionn an fhirinne searbh. ;-)

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 04/06/2017 12:58:28    1994361

Link

Replying To dead_as_dodos:  "bionn an fhirinne searbh. ;-)"
Cen difriocht a dheanann se ar aon nos.?

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 04/06/2017 13:21:46    1994380

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Cooper should have got a black card for his part in the second yellow incident. He repeatedly pulled Murphy's jersey stopping him joining in an attack. Definite black card offence. Linesman saw it all but disgracefully chose to cite Murphy alone."
It's amazing how incidents that were deemed trivial 2 weeks ago are now "definite black card offences"

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 379 - 04/06/2017 21:43:07    1994701

Link