Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Gaaman1987:  "Next up Wicklow, the table shows they are just as bad as London, we lost to London. If we cannot beat 1 of the 2 bottom teams in division 4, it will be a joke to say we are making progress. We Simply must beat Wicklow, give Wexford a run for their money, then we can consider calling this season progress"
After only 6 posts and you expect us to buy into that.??!!

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 20/03/2017 22:22:46    1969324

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "After only 6 posts and you expect us to buy into that.??!!"
Well explain to us what is incorrect about his theory o wise one.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 21/03/2017 11:12:46    1969422

Link

Replying To pennypincher:  "Well explain to us what is incorrect about his theory o wise one."
I will certainly do the best I can, O Learned one, imo his theory is neither correct or incorrect it's simply a theory and it will remain a theory until after the Wicklow and Wexford game, then the results are open for debate/discussion. I will say this though, I would be more nervous of playing Wicklow than I would be of playing Wexford, allow me to add this bit, you and I know only too well that the annual derby meeting of Carlow and Wicklow down through the years throws the game wide open and no one can predict with and degree of certainty or confidence who the winner will be, however the very fact that this game is being played in Aughrim could very well sway it in Wicklows favour.
Carlow drew with Westmeath in their own back yard in Mullingar, in fairness Carlow should and could have beaten them, next game out Carlow fell heavily to London a div 4 team, so in fairness which result would you use to evaluate Carlow's progress, another scenario in relation to progress, Paul Brodrick (13) gave a man of the match performance last week when he scored 2-06 from play against Waterford another div. 4 team, yet Paul Geaney (13) Kerry, got on the HS team of the week after scoring 0-07 in their league game, who would you have given the (13) place to on the HS team of the week, I don't begrudge Paul Geaney by the, so I'll finish off by saying, in theory Paul Geaneys selection is acceptable because after all he is an all star, however Paul Brodricks selection would have been justified because Brodrick scored goals 2 - 06 and Geaney only scored 0-07.
Carlow have made progress however small, - they certainly haven't regressed.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 21/03/2017 20:52:59    1969712

Link

Was at the game on Saturday night and it was a bit of a strange one really. We finally ditched the short kick outs, whether that was down to the change in keeper or orders from management I don't know. But it worked, and hopefully stays that way from now on.
Molloy launched almost all of them down the middle, and the only short ones were where there was an obvious free man available.
Only one kick out went wrong which was pulled over the sideline. If we had kicked long against London, we'd be now sitting on 7 points at least. Short kicks outs cost us against Westmeath, London & Leitrim.

Have to say Waterford were very bad on Saturday, expected them to be a bit better as they had beaten London & Wicklow well & ran Wexford close. They couldn't get through our crowded defence, which worked very well. It was an unusual looking defence, but including Mark Rennick & having John Murphy back there worked well.
Midfield won out overall, with big help from Sean Gannon. Even though he is only working his way back to full fitness, he had a great game.
As has been said above & noted by his nomination for player of the week, Paul Broderick was a class apart on Saturday. Took both his goals brilliantly, actually really should have had a 3rd where he blasted over when a goal looked on. His point in the 2nd half from way out in front of the stand was amazing. Keeping him fit for the Wexford game in May is crucial. Needs more scoring help around him. Was disappointed to see Shane O'Neill named on the team, then left off.

Aughrim on Sunday we should go full on with our best team and try to get a win there like we did last year.

Then the last game against Wexford, we should just play the panel players who have got little or no game time. No point in showing our hand to Wexford and most importantly of all, don't give them a chance to injure the likes of Broderick, Brendan Murphy, Gannon etc before the championship game.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 21/03/2017 21:45:28    1969744

Link

Replying To The Real 1944:  "Was at the game on Saturday night and it was a bit of a strange one really. We finally ditched the short kick outs, whether that was down to the change in keeper or orders from management I don't know. But it worked, and hopefully stays that way from now on.
Molloy launched almost all of them down the middle, and the only short ones were where there was an obvious free man available.
Only one kick out went wrong which was pulled over the sideline. If we had kicked long against London, we'd be now sitting on 7 points at least. Short kicks outs cost us against Westmeath, London & Leitrim.

Have to say Waterford were very bad on Saturday, expected them to be a bit better as they had beaten London & Wicklow well & ran Wexford close. They couldn't get through our crowded defence, which worked very well. It was an unusual looking defence, but including Mark Rennick & having John Murphy back there worked well.
Midfield won out overall, with big help from Sean Gannon. Even though he is only working his way back to full fitness, he had a great game.
As has been said above & noted by his nomination for player of the week, Paul Broderick was a class apart on Saturday. Took both his goals brilliantly, actually really should have had a 3rd where he blasted over when a goal looked on. His point in the 2nd half from way out in front of the stand was amazing. Keeping him fit for the Wexford game in May is crucial. Needs more scoring help around him. Was disappointed to see Shane O'Neill named on the team, then left off.

Aughrim on Sunday we should go full on with our best team and try to get a win there like we did last year.

Then the last game against Wexford, we should just play the panel players who have got little or no game time. No point in showing our hand to Wexford and most importantly of all, don't give them a chance to injure the likes of Broderick, Brendan Murphy, Gannon etc before the championship game."
When you say , "Aughrim on Sunday we should go full on with our best team and try to get a win there like we did last year." I don't understand what advantage that wold be, as a win there would not get us promotion just an extra two points, why not do the same thing as you suggest as in our last league game against Wexford, in doing that TO'B would have two extra competitive games to get his team prepared for the Wexford game in the Leinster championship, just a thought.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 23/03/2017 09:36:40    1970277

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "When you say , "Aughrim on Sunday we should go full on with our best team and try to get a win there like we did last year." I don't understand what advantage that wold be, as a win there would not get us promotion just an extra two points, why not do the same thing as you suggest as in our last league game against Wexford, in doing that TO'B would have two extra competitive games to get his team prepared for the Wexford game in the Leinster championship, just a thought."
We don't have the luxury of a deep panel to allow for experimentation ... better in my humble view to put out the best sides possible - nothing beats winning - where possible - to build up morale, team expectations as preparation for the championship. However given the draw the league unfortunately was our primary objective this season ....

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 476 - 26/03/2017 13:49:00    1971140

Link

Yeah, why don't we just hammer the crap out of them both?

Perfect set up for the championship.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 26/03/2017 15:00:51    1971158

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Yeah, why don't we just hammer the crap out of them both?

Perfect set up for the championship."
Spot on, I totally agree with that.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 26/03/2017 18:54:43    1971334

Link

I remember seeing Alex ferguson in an interview before Manchester United played Sunderland in a game towards the end of the season. Manchester United had the premier league crown already wrapped up and we welcoming strugglers Sunderland who were a point inside the relegation zone to old Trafford. A journalist put it to Ferguson that united, with the title secured may go easy on Sunderland. His players already had Champs league football secured and premier league title in the bag and surely were looking forward to the end season with a holiday coming up.

Ferguson replied " Why would we take it easy on Sunderland now just because we have the premier league title won? West Brom, Newcastle, Swansea, Burnley and Hull are all fighting for survival now too, if I put out a weakend side against Sunderland this weekend how is that fair on the other clubs fighting to stay up when we went full out to beat them here when we were chasing the title earlier in the season. If my players don't try full out to beat Sunderland like they did every other team they will be disciplined. The league should be about every team playing their best week in and week out and at the end of the season the best team wins and the worst ones go down. If we play half hearted or a weakened side against Sunderland we don't support this ideal and I as a manager do not support it either. "

Wexford went against this ideal this weekend , I believe Carlow had an outside chance ( a very outside chance ) of getting promoted and Wexford fielding a weekend team or not wanting to show their hand before a final cost Carlow badly. Even though it was an outside chance it was a chance and Carlow would have gone in to next weekend still in the mix, had a chance. I wonder when Wexford meet Westmeath in the league final will the score be as big in Westmeath favour?? Is that the league leaders in div 4 playing everygame and treating every team the same throughout the league?

Say what you want about Ferguson , I hated him and united but in fairness he talked a lot of sense!

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 457 - 26/03/2017 20:10:02    1971408

Link

A good big beating today. Great to follow up last week with a win, even more so against that lot.

Well done.

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 468 - 26/03/2017 21:33:03    1971475

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "I remember seeing Alex ferguson in an interview before Manchester United played Sunderland in a game towards the end of the season. Manchester United had the premier league crown already wrapped up and we welcoming strugglers Sunderland who were a point inside the relegation zone to old Trafford. A journalist put it to Ferguson that united, with the title secured may go easy on Sunderland. His players already had Champs league football secured and premier league title in the bag and surely were looking forward to the end season with a holiday coming up.

Ferguson replied " Why would we take it easy on Sunderland now just because we have the premier league title won? West Brom, Newcastle, Swansea, Burnley and Hull are all fighting for survival now too, if I put out a weakend side against Sunderland this weekend how is that fair on the other clubs fighting to stay up when we went full out to beat them here when we were chasing the title earlier in the season. If my players don't try full out to beat Sunderland like they did every other team they will be disciplined. The league should be about every team playing their best week in and week out and at the end of the season the best team wins and the worst ones go down. If we play half hearted or a weakened side against Sunderland we don't support this ideal and I as a manager do not support it either. "

Wexford went against this ideal this weekend , I believe Carlow had an outside chance ( a very outside chance ) of getting promoted and Wexford fielding a weekend team or not wanting to show their hand before a final cost Carlow badly. Even though it was an outside chance it was a chance and Carlow would have gone in to next weekend still in the mix, had a chance. I wonder when Wexford meet Westmeath in the league final will the score be as big in Westmeath favour?? Is that the league leaders in div 4 playing everygame and treating every team the same throughout the league?

Say what you want about Ferguson , I hated him and united but in fairness he talked a lot of sense!"
Wexford earned the right to play a weakened team. We flung away our right to complain by losing to London. How the hell we did that I done know.

Good performance today but Wicklow were really abysmal.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1228 - 26/03/2017 21:46:07    1971489

Link

Firstly, a few experts on here have stated that if we can't beat Wicklow comprehensively then we have no right to claim that the team has improved in relation to last year. I invite those who have expressed that point of view to come on here now and state that the team have in fact improved this year.

Then in response to earlier on this thread, Everybody has the right to play a weakened team. Whether that right has been earned or not is immaterial.

I believe that anyone that thinks a team is being clever by planning a defeat and playing a weakened team doesn't understand sport.

Teams are made up of human beings with doubts and fears just like the rest of us. If a team take a hammering, by it's nature it will affect confidence and future performances.

We have Wexford in the last league game and I look forward to them playing a weakened team.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 26/03/2017 22:49:58    1971534

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Firstly, a few experts on here have stated that if we can't beat Wicklow comprehensively then we have no right to claim that the team has improved in relation to last year. I invite those who have expressed that point of view to come on here now and state that the team have in fact improved this year.

Then in response to earlier on this thread, Everybody has the right to play a weakened team. Whether that right has been earned or not is immaterial.

I believe that anyone that thinks a team is being clever by planning a defeat and playing a weakened team doesn't understand sport.

Teams are made up of human beings with doubts and fears just like the rest of us. If a team take a hammering, by it's nature it will affect confidence and future performances.

We have Wexford in the last league game and I look forward to them playing a weakened team."
sorry but on your point every single one of those that played today are on the panel. Do those players not deserve a chance. if not why are they training weak in weak out. The only way we can find out if they are good enough is by playing them. We did our job with two games to spare we had nothing to lose so in fact we did the right thing. The last time wexford took a hammering like this we reached an all ireland semi final so no wexford fan is overly worried.

Dont understand the sport?? are you seriously saying that about McEnaney. who probably has forgotten more about the game then I or anyone here knows.

wexcore (Wexford) - Posts: 734 - 27/03/2017 00:33:41    1971569

Link

For player development you need to use a mix of new and experienced players. Otherwise you are not giving those lads a fair chance against an experienced team.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 854 - 27/03/2017 10:22:47    1971654

Link

Replying To Jack_Sparrow:  "For player development you need to use a mix of new and experienced players. Otherwise you are not giving those lads a fair chance against an experienced team."
Will every single one of them has played for Wexford at some stage in the last 4 years bar Ian Carty who was takin off after 20 minutes. So they should be experienced enough they are just not at the required level for a B/C Squad . Westmeath's midfield ran through us at will and kicked some amazing scores.

Wexford are entitled to field whatever team they see fit. They owe no other county anything. Do you honestly think Carlow are going to start They're full 15 next sunday when they have us in the championship?

wexcore (Wexford) - Posts: 734 - 27/03/2017 11:49:34    1971716

Link

Replying To wexcore:  "Will every single one of them has played for Wexford at some stage in the last 4 years bar Ian Carty who was takin off after 20 minutes. So they should be experienced enough they are just not at the required level for a B/C Squad . Westmeath's midfield ran through us at will and kicked some amazing scores.

Wexford are entitled to field whatever team they see fit. They owe no other county anything. Do you honestly think Carlow are going to start They're full 15 next sunday when they have us in the championship?"
Banty is Banty, fiercely competitive and somewhat ruthless, psychologically ruthless that is, I recall when he was in charge of Monaghan he dropped the Monaghan Goal keeper on the way to a match and it was left to one of his team mates to tell him he was dropped, personally I wouldn't call that sporting, I would call that ruthless in the making, anyway you say," every single one of those that played today are on the panel." That doesn't say too much about the strength and debth of your panel, wheather Banty reserves the right to to field the team of his choice or not is not the issue,rather he should have put out a competitive team and gave Carlow a sporting chance in the last game.
Banty will be a brave man to field a similar team against Carlow to any team he fielded in the league from rd.1 rd 5 inclusive, he will be a braver man to field the same team as he fielded against Westmeath.
Sport is sport, and Banty is Banty.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 27/03/2017 22:25:26    1972072

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Banty is Banty, fiercely competitive and somewhat ruthless, psychologically ruthless that is, I recall when he was in charge of Monaghan he dropped the Monaghan Goal keeper on the way to a match and it was left to one of his team mates to tell him he was dropped, personally I wouldn't call that sporting, I would call that ruthless in the making, anyway you say," every single one of those that played today are on the panel." That doesn't say too much about the strength and debth of your panel, wheather Banty reserves the right to to field the team of his choice or not is not the issue,rather he should have put out a competitive team and gave Carlow a sporting chance in the last game.
Banty will be a brave man to field a similar team against Carlow to any team he fielded in the league from rd.1 rd 5 inclusive, he will be a braver man to field the same team as he fielded against Westmeath.
Sport is sport, and Banty is Banty."
so then what your saying is carlow should play there full 15 next Sunday against wexford even if we are playing in the championship in five weeks time ?

wexcore (Wexford) - Posts: 734 - 28/03/2017 08:04:52    1972122

Link

It's not what carlow should do, rather it's what wexford should have done, - - - - the horse has already bolted.

Cuhullain (Kildare) - Posts: 209 - 28/03/2017 10:39:16    1972166

Link

Replying To wexcore:  "so then what your saying is carlow should play there full 15 next Sunday against wexford even if we are playing in the championship in five weeks time ?"
Part of what I'm saying is Banty should have fielded a team that was capable of making the game competitive instead of conceding defeat before a ball was kicked and gift wrapping the win for Westmeath.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 28/03/2017 16:18:05    1972350

Link

Good performance from Carlow today. Dissapointed I didn't get to it but I believe work rate was 1st class. Played without Murphy St Ledger, Ruth and Lawlor etc so we didn't show our hand to Wexford ahead of Championship. Great to hear a lot of our younger players got a run.
......oh and we have LAOIS to look forward to in Div 4 in 2018!!!!

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 251 - 02/04/2017 16:52:47    1974171

Link