Carlow Forum

It Starts Again (Club Hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Clux whats your problem? If the players want to do gym work thats their option, if they dont thats fine too. Its hurlers on the ditch that are the problem.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 26/11/2011 13:20:08    1075964

Link

Have no problem pennypincher they were just after winning a leinster title and kevin ryan told them they only had to turn up at gym but when they got there they had to do a full gym session.So get down off your high horse before you fall off it pennypincher !!!!!!! They should be left alone and by the way is there not suppossed to be a ban on collective training til january ????For good of county and club they deserve a break and these players are not happy as kevin ryan never showed up at session.

Clux (Carlow) - Posts: 72 - 26/11/2011 15:09:28    1075999

Link

Well then they shouldnt go the next time clux. All i was doing was replying to your post that players had a gym session last week. if you had posted all the facts first time we wouldnt be having this conversation. I agree with you bout players not being happy as its not thr first time that he hasnt turned up for training, but the problem lies with co. board for not insisting that he turn up. After all he who paysthe piper should be calling the tune.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 26/11/2011 15:44:04    1076008

Link

Few people on here said last week that Mount Leinster Rangers will be playing Moycullen in the All Ireland semi final,well they got bet today by Robert Emmets of London.Going to take a huge effort to beat them but hopefully they can get over the line.Game is weekend of 21/22 January.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1082 - 27/11/2011 16:54:25    1076335

Link

yeah, i for one wrote them off as i d heard moycullen were a decent team. makes it more of an unknown for rangers.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2598 - 27/11/2011 19:38:32    1076428

Link

Can't say we weren't warned. Pity I ignored this.

21/11/2011 21:00:25
stranded
County: UK

The real1944. Trust me, MLR will not be playing Moycullen......Get to Paddy power quick if you want to make some cash.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1169 - 27/11/2011 21:53:13    1076510

Link

Fixtures up on the home page for all the semi finals.Looks like the semi final will be on London soil.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1082 - 28/11/2011 16:36:31    1076765

Link

thats a tough one. having them over here, even on neutral soil would be something but its going to be a right battle there.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2598 - 29/11/2011 08:32:23    1076984

Link

I honestly thought we played Moycullen and the winners would then meet Robert Emmets, looks like I took my eye off the ball, either way from what I gather Robert Emmets are at least as good as what's left in it, and further more I think this my even be the final, as in, who ever wins this one will more than likely win it out, a one point win for MLR will be good enough for me.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1986 - 29/11/2011 19:41:50    1077488

Link

Mlr were informed by leinster council yesterday that the match is in Ireland probably parnell park and that no fixture has been put in stone as of yet.They said fixtures on GAA.ie is the only official site with definate fixtures.Rangers dont mind where it is they have played away so far in the competition and have done ok but would be nice to have venue for supporters to access easily.A trip to London would be costly and with the 4000 euro fine handed down to them for their part in the county final replay brawl things will be tight in the club with training costs such as lights and food to be supplied over the next couple of months.Naomh eoin also recieved the same fine.Handy 8000 for county board

TopFan (Carlow) - Posts: 166 - 29/11/2011 21:04:06    1077570

Link

are u serious? thats a huge amount of money. a bit over the top.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2598 - 29/11/2011 21:16:08    1077585

Link

Yes was handed down at last thursday's county board meeting.Think it is steep to in these times.Im a rangers man and probably looking at it with rose tinted glasses but was the row that bad ?????.The man that recorded the match got a year from recording games in dr cullen.4000 would go a long way in any club and there is some amount of raising on that kind of money.

TopFan (Carlow) - Posts: 166 - 29/11/2011 21:42:42    1077611

Link

It's fairly simple. Don't pay it. The row was dealt with by the ref on the day, end of story. Neither club should pay it. Wouldn't think there was too many Rangers or NE members on that committee. It would be interesting to have a look at the makeup of it. Both clubs should exert as much pressure as possible to overturn that decision and come to a fair fine that is reasonable to all concerned. 4k is completely over the top.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 30/11/2011 12:15:05    1077769

Link

thats pure ridiculous! i know we were tight enough with things in our club this year but our hurl/sliothar bill was around the 2k mark, so 4k would run a fair bit of most clubs for the year.. were there any players banned? i didnt hear a thing til i read the forum here - have to get around to papers yet! i m galled by that. considering what has gone on in other counties of late and attacks on refs - to me is far more serious. and did brendan get a ban?? for what? thats the best ever!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2598 - 30/11/2011 12:25:41    1077776

Link

ye must be kidding?? nothing in paper!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2598 - 30/11/2011 14:59:27    1077903

Link

I think that the fine imposed on both clubs is worth commenting on. I posted soon after the County final about the incidents at the start of the game. I dont think that there was much comment on the incidents by anyone on what happened.

The fact of the matter is that somebody brought the situation up and now it has been dealt with. Was this part of the referee's report? Was it an officer or officers or committee members that brought it up so that it could be discussed and dealt with? It would be interesting to see who brought the incidents up for discussion.

I would however believe that it is good for our games that it has been dealt with. I know and appreciate that the fines imposed are big and are a harsh penalty on a club. However I am sure that others would believe that the figure imposed is not half big enough1

It would seem that the referee on the day did not report on the incidents. I think that they were of such a serious nature that they should have been part of his report. The fact is however that he did not deal fully with the incidents -if he had, then there would probably be no fines imposed. If my memory serves me correctly then just 2 players were given yellow cards. So, others must have believed that he did not act properly. The result is that both of the clubs have now been fined and seriously hit in the pocket.

Someone said that it would be interesting to see the make up of the committee who heard or dealt with the incidents. I think that the the people on the committee should be congratulated for their work, Yes congratulated... like I posted weeks ago, I think that what was there at the start of the game was disgraceful - and was not a good advertisement for our game or our county. It was disgraceful and please dont give me the rubbish that it is a mans game and that this is part of the game... It si not part of the game, and should not be tolerated. As long as people continue to 'take away' from heavy fines and or suspensions - then similar incidents will continue to occur. The temptation now is for clubs and individuals is to say that the fines are an over the top over reaction to a few small incidents at the start of the game and nobody was hurt and the game went on without further incidents. That is exactly the reaction that the GAA nationally has been criticised for over and over again.

It is interesting to watch what is happeneing in Tyrone as a result of what happened after a senior football final a few weeks ago. Posters on a thread on the main forum were calling for life bans for what happened.

In Carlow we have been lucky that we have not had many bad incidents in games. Are we to tolerate them when they happen and are we to turn a blinfd eye ? We cannot have it both ways!

At this stage I think that a lesson should be learned -refereees must do their duty - and if such incidents occur then harsh fines will be handed out as this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated. As a neutral I welcome such an attitude and hope that clubs will realise that they are responsible for the behaviour of their players . Harsh lesson -definitely - but for the good of the GAA its a good lesson.

When passing a critique on the above please be be objective! Thanks.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1508 - 30/11/2011 18:48:57    1078100

Link

thanks rats for your comment, insightful as ever.. As for the fines thing, well firstly let me say that i agree with the idea that punishment should be handed out to the clubs and perhaps even players involved. I totally agree that we ve no place for these scenes in our games. but i think the amounts are woefully wrong. i think both clubs would be generally sporting in their behaviour both this year and in others. it was out of order but a lot of it was handbags - its not an excuse/condoning it. am just wondering what fines did pal get the time with the match v rhode in leinster club or in eire ogs case when a linesman was adjudged to have been hit? i dont rem them being as severe. the fines are one thing, but if video evidence was used to support the case, how mant players are going to be handed bans? or those the "oh the the ref dealt with it on the day" type of rule come in?? i mean if it its serious enough to extract 8 grand of fines, surely some players are going to be banned?? and if not, will the ref have been adjudged to have handled it ok, not menetioned it in report and have it dealt with in the board offices? it wasnt a good advertisement for our sport and i m all for having these incidents stamped out but i feel this is way over the top on the money side of things.. whilst letting those involved go!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2598 - 30/11/2011 19:36:20    1078137

Link

Agree with you yellar in a lot of ways.... players have not been handed bans.... perhaps there is a case to answer here for the referee and his report in that it seems that it did not make reference to the situstion and as result it looks like 'others' took up the situation. So perhaps referees need to be told how to deal with such situations... and players need to take the rap too. The referee probably thought that the best thing to do was to 'get on with the game' ... perhaps that is not what he should have done and now referees need to learn from this.

Players that are responsible for such behaviour should be dealt with and the club as a whole should not be in a position to be penalised for the behavior of the few. If we take that as a guiding principle then I think that the club will not be fined as heavily as in this case.

As for your assertion that a lot of it was 'handbags'.... I beg to differ... the number of helmets that were on the ground during the incidents would not indicate that it was handbags. Like I posted weeks ago the number of 'hits' which were done at pace into the back of opponents was in my opinion dangerous and would not constitutre handbags. But that is a moot point.

I personally welcome the fact that officers in our county have seen fit to ensure that games and players or rather in this suituation clubs are held responsible for their actions and that such incidents have not been swept under the carpet.

The GAA nationally has been the whipping boy for long enough when it has been compared with other sports for its 'actual' and not 'percieved' way it has done its disciplinary business.

Carlow needs to be able to stand up to all scrutiny and not have a 'wink and nod' approach to disciplinary issues.

But.. and this will be an issue that will come up again, what will Carlow do when there is an appeal? Will it, as has happened many times before in the GAA halve or abandon any or all of the fines when appealed? Its easy to make a stand . Its another thing altogether to withstand the pressures.

As for not paying the fines... in my opinion, while its a very heavy fine, the difficulty in trying to raise the money to pay the fine should galvanise a club or clubs that they would never again find themsleves in such a situation.

As regards Palatine, I dont remember whether they were fined or not, but they had at least one member banned for life. The Eire Og incident was harmless by comparison. Much more was made of that situation by members of the media who are constantly lookiing for such stories. I dont think that comparisons should really be made when looking at these incidents.... but there are many others that could also be spoken about if one was to go down that road!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1508 - 30/11/2011 21:37:12    1078251

Link

its a load off bull thats what it is.
we have seen this 1000's of times.
where before a ball is thrown in in football and hurling you have the get to know each other part.
its a disgrace that both clubs were fined €4000 each, that is a pure joke.
in tyrone where they beat each other all over the place and you had a player been struck with a brolly, both clubs got fined €350????????????????
like come on, lucky these lads are runniing the country or we would all be in poverty.
where did they come up with this figure, probably some football delagate pulled it out of the clouds.
Like county board get with it, it was a fantastic hurling final.
only problem is with the board is there all from football clubs and the few that are from the hurling clubs were probably only sticking the boot in.
And then the incident with Brendan Joyce THAT WAS DISGRACEFUL
I BELIEVE RANGERS SHOULD PULL THE PLUG ON THE COUNTY TEAMS RIGHT THROUGH
IN 2009 WHEN THEY GOT TO THE LEINSTER FINAL THEY WERE KICKED IN THE TEETH AS WELL WITH THE NOW FAMOUS DVD INCIDENT

oki (Carlow) - Posts: 38 - 01/12/2011 09:34:58    1078312

Link

Carlowman- As regards the ref on the day. I think everybody that I spoke to after the match agreed that he did a very good job on the replay. He let the game flow and the players got on with the match after the first minute or two. If what you want is to referee the game like it was refereed the first day then I say that I didn't pay in to watch the referee. I paid into watch a hurling match which I got the second day. The first day I got a referee who ended up ruining the game as a spectacle. In fact I believe that as a result of the poor job done the first day that the Rangers lads decided that they were going to have to deal with the Myshall tactics themselves and that's what happened.

The GAA are very quick to accept a referees report when it suits them but in this case some individual or individuals have chosen to intervene themselves. I would still question the motives of the individuals on that committee.

Now I agree with you that the scenes at the start of the match were uncalled for but the fact is it happened. A fine is in order as everybody on here seems to be accepting. What is at issue is the level of the fine which is just ludicrous. If clubs don't have the money then they might as well fine them 40k instead of 4k as clubs don't have that kind of money. I still say don't pay it and let them throw both clubs out of the competition if that's the end game. Let's see what kind of Senior Hurling competition and senior hurling panel we have next year.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 01/12/2011 09:36:35    1078313

Link