Carlow Forum

Good Luck MLR!!

(Oldest Posts First)

All the very best to everyone involved for Sunday, would love to be there but unfortunately can't get home for it. Rangers ABU!

jimbo66 (UK) - Posts: 22 - 28/11/2013 14:03:48    1518745

Link

I am looking forward to the match up on Sunday. It is a great occasion - and to have a team in the Leinster final is fantastic. To win it would be out of this world.

I think a win is possible rather than probable. It will take that bit of luck plus hard graft from the start to get a first Leisnter in hurling.
Other clubs have gotten a football one for Carlow so it is possible for the underdog to also get there on to the winners podium.

The match ups went the Rangers way the last day and if the right men are deployed in the right positions then anything is possible.

It looks like there will be a very big crowd from Carlow there so even though the game is on TV I think the crowd - like the last day will also favour Rangers.
The forecast looks fairly good so if its anything like the last game against Ballyboden - dreamworld!

Best wishes to all the lads and all the back room staff- hope all goes well.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1487 - 28/11/2013 20:33:02    1518959

Link

I would like to wish the best of luck to Mount Leinster Rangers on Sunday, they stand on the cusp of history and have all the capabilities to make it happen. Having seen them play seven or eight times this year it is clear that they have brought Carlow hurling to a new level, but the good news is that the other clubs are stepping up to the plate and coming close to matching them.
One unique aspect of the Carlow SHC is that it's a genuine lottery in a sense. Any of the six teams involved can win it next year and, indeed, Ballinkillen came close to upsetting Borris this year. True, Rangers won the county final rather easily - with an exhibition of hurling I have never seen before in DCP - but it is also true to state that St Mullins didn't really show up and that's sure to be remedied next year.
This super-competativeness (albeit with a small number of clubs) is a major factor in MLR's rise to this level. Remember, that both Mullin's and Myshall also came close to taking big scalps a few years back in the Leinster and, in fact, Mullins beat Dublin champions O'Tooles about 10 years ago so the boys taking Ballyboden was not a huge shock in that context.
However, what was startling is that they defeated a real superstar Dublin team who won the local championship with ease (in a year that the county won Leinster) and also had to beat the referee in order to get over the line.
All this augurs well for Sunday, when I believe that the Mount Leinster boys WILL deliver Carlow its first ever Leinster Club Hurling championship. Also, it will be exactly twenty years to the day since Eire Og captured our counties' initial football title. However, I believe that MLR's journey is even more fantastic for Carlow GAA because it gives us something tangible to build on. There is no danger of 12 Borris men lining out for the county, the other clubs are simply too strong and indeed at least seven of our top 10 county men play for other clubs. Contrast that to the football at the time when Eire Og were just simply head and shoulders above all other teams in the county with only Rathvilly able to give them any sort of a contest.
This means that there is a great chance to build on this progress at all levels in the county. MLR will be a spur to the likes of Ballinkillen and St Mullins to believe that they too can reach Leinster finals and will push Myshall, Naomh Brid and Erin's Own to get their acts together as well. Maybe, down the line it will push kids in Carlow and Tullow towns into hurling and help Carlow Town, Palatine and St Patrick's improve also.
Hopefully, all of this together can lead the county to great things. Carlow hurling is in a wonderful place right now, strong at all levels, club, county, senior and underage. However, in order for it to grow further to the extent that we can dream of winning Senior county honours, we need another big push.
It's time for this county to collectively throw its eggs into the hurling basket, dare to dream and to give MLR all our support this weekend.
The next ten years could be glorious for Carlow hurling, these are exciting times and let's hope that the latest step on the road can be achieved in Nowlan Park on Sunday.
Oulart are to be feared, but bear in mind that the Wexford championship is not hugely competitive and that they beat a poor Kilkenny champions in Clara before beating an Offaly team which may have peaked last year. Futhermore, think back to that roasting summer evening in Wexford Park when Carlow should have taken Wexford - the Yellow's are much more reliant on Oulart players than Carlow are on Borris men. In these circumstances, MLR have nothing to fear. They surely believe they will win, and I believe that is exactly what they will do.
Ceatharlach abu!
Stua Laighean abu!

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 29/11/2013 12:17:35    1519068

Link

Just want to wish MLR all the best , believe it would be an enormous boost to Carlow and all underdog teams if they were to win , Best Of Luck ..

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5182 - 29/11/2013 13:34:08    1519098

Link

All the best to all involved.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 29/11/2013 14:59:46    1519127

Link

TAFKANO1FAN:the good news is that the other clubs are stepping up to the plate and coming close to matching them. ???

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 29/11/2013 19:25:51    1519196

Link

Best of luck to MLR on Sunday. There should be a huge crowd from the county there to support them (might get a good bit of neutral support from Kilkenny locals also) and if they don't freeze early, which I very much doubt they will, then they have every chance especially with Oulart having lost so many Leinster finals recently. Hopefully some from Oulart may also feel that having won away to the Kilkenny and Offaly champions (great achievement to give them their dues) they may have the hardest part done already and that the same level of performance won't be required on Sunday.

As a Carlow man I naturally hope MLR do it. The fact that I had a tenner on them at 80/1 before the Castletown geoghegan match makes me want them to do it even more!

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 29/11/2013 21:17:22    1519228

Link

The very best of luck to Mt Leinster Rangers today, although I can't see Oulart losing 4 finals in a row I will cheer them on every step of the way like everyone else in Carlow should!

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1808 - 01/12/2013 11:20:46    1519425

Link

great result.must say MLR's tackling ad work rate was phenomenal. Made sure Oulart knew they were in a battle. Keep going for the future

Fishermantom (Limerick) - Posts: 569 - 01/12/2013 15:40:56    1519488

Link

A great day for hurling in Rangers and Carlow today! A fantastic day for the club. Congratulations to all the team and the whole club. Amazing achievement for all involved. History has been made today as a Carlow club adds its name to the greats of Leinster club hurling. Up there with Birr, Ballyhale and Buffers Alley. And. . . . Not finished yet.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1487 - 01/12/2013 20:14:14    1519618

Link