Carlow Forum

O' Byrne Cup 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Maybe Im stupid and dont understand modern day tactics but if Carlow are to make any progress they must get some pace into their game. Ive been observing this method for the last 3 years and it aint workin. The only strategy appears to be to win frees and hope Foley and Leger will convert them. Jesus lads that is not good enough. One more point is that there are prob. 10 players currently in panel who are not fit for inter. football let alone senior inter. co.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 14/01/2013 12:36:53    1318021

Link

Pennypincher - i think your fairly spot on with that assessment there. A lot of the players on the pitch yesterday were certainly slightly overweight and unfit. I know its only January but Carlow were given permission to train earlier than other counties so had a head start. Unless management have a Plan B in their minds it looks at this stage as if its more of the same for the coming year. I dont understand why they are putting our best players in the space behind the halfback line? Ray Walker, Derek Hayden are 2 of the paciest skillful players we have and i am at a loss as to why they are playing where they are when we are struggling big time in the middle of field?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 14/01/2013 14:04:26    1318113

Link

Lads can we genuinely say that the best panel is involved this year?. There must be other lads out there who were not asked in or simply refuse to go in.
Rainbows backroom team must ensure that the best possible team is involved. How much contact did they make with the clubs. What was the criteria for panel formation. Were there trials held? I would suggest even at this late stage that a trial match between the possibles and probables to include new faces should be held. Carlow supporters deserve more than they are getting at present.

Chips (Carlow) - Posts: 141 - 14/01/2013 14:14:43    1318125

Link

I cant fathom the outcries on this about yesterday. Of more worry i felt the match against Wicklow was of bigger concern when we had a stronger team out and they had a B team out. Anyone with any inkling of knowledge about football in Carlow over the last number of seasons will know what our problems are. There is no point in getting excited about the state of affairs in January, as Rainbow said himself theres only one match thats important and thats the Tipperary game, any practice games or O Byrne Cup games are irrevelant for the simple reason we have too many first choice players injured at present and as a result new players were tried and have not passed the test unfortunately yet. The problem with us over the last few years is when we have regular players missing we are not able to cope and thus bad performances are always guranteed. To be realistic we cannot judge the team or Rainbow yet till we have the following players back. Brendan n Brian, Ray Walker, Keith Jackson, John Murphy, Jack Kennedy and Sean Gannon n Conor Lawlor from colleges. No one only Rainbow knows what his team selection will be but i would like to hope he makes the necessary changes that a lot of us have seen the last 2 years. I just hope and pray that between now and 3rd February all our injuries have cleared up and we can put our strongest team out against Tipp after their performance against Cork yesterday. Im not sure if Keith Jackson or John Murphy will be back but if they were this is the team i would like to see line out.

1. Trevor O Reilly
2. B J Molloy
3. Conor Lawlor
4. Benny Kavanagh
5. Shane Redmond
6. Derek Hayden
7. Sean Gannon
8. Brendan Murphy
9. Keith Jackson/John Murphy
10.Darragh Foley
11.Ray Walker
12.Eoghan Ruth
13.Brian Murphy
14.Paul Reid
15.Jack Kennedy

THE BOSS (Carlow) - Posts: 475 - 14/01/2013 15:29:54    1318193

Link

Is Alan Callinan on the panel this year?Good sticky and hardy corner back,would def have him on the team.Also,we need Paul Broderick there,best forward in the county by a long shot.Hughie Gahan would be a huge help to.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1045 - 14/01/2013 15:30:04    1318194

Link

Fergie - i believe Alan Callinan is on the panel - he must be injured? Paul Broderick was asked in but does not seem to have an interest in playing with the county. He was in a few years ago but didnt make a commitment and you cant force lads in who dont want to come in. Alot of lads i'm sure see no future with Carlow county football and see it as a huge commitment with no rewards? I have no idea about Hughie Gahan.

Boss I wasnt at Wicklow game so cant comment on what their performance was like, but the O Byrne Cup is a chance for us to get some competitive tough games which for me are far better than challenge games. We were like headless chickens yesterday and most worryingly there was nothing happening on the sideline. We were sitting in 2nd place on the table going into yesterdays game - we finished last! I dont think we can afford to be dismissive over competitions like the O Byrne Cup. Look at Offaly who are in our Division they seem to be very focussed and have a set goal in mind. Clare were unlucky not go be promoted last year and now the have the Micko effect , Tipp beat Cork yesterday - i just wonder where can we win a game - even London are strong due to the recession and lads working in London.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 14/01/2013 16:00:30    1318218

Link

Hughie Gahan and Paul Broderick would transform the team but it is clear they are not interested so we need to move on with the commited lads. Agree that with shortage of scoring power up front we need Ray Walker and Derek Hayden in attacking roles. Could also do with JJ Smith back, any word on this?

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1158 - 14/01/2013 20:52:41    1318403

Link

i heard smith was returning soon, hope it's true we need ball winners upfront

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1243 - 15/01/2013 10:18:52    1318482

Link

Are Carlow supporters too vocal with their opinions? Do they affect players confidence by the constant questioning of elections, comments about performances, tactics and so on? It is only Jan 15. A new young Manager has the reigns. Can we not let them get on with it without the constant expert analysis. I dont think any other County has a pro rata level of resident experts as we have. Posters talk about the rights of supporters - yet I don't see too many of them at games in Dr Cullen Park. Our hurlers have never got the backing their performances deserved but the critics are many!

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 15/01/2013 10:29:16    1318490

Link

Benekerry - i dont believe the Carlow supporters are too vocal with the 'opinions' about the intercounty hurlers and footballers. I doubt very much that the players and the management even read this site. This is a discussion forum set up to talk about such matters in our county with people who share the same interest and as long as people stick to football and hurling and dont make it personal I dont see a problem with it. As far as I can see the people who contribute to Hoganstand actually attend most of the matches and really want to see Carlow do well. You can understand their frustration when they are shelving out 10 euro a pop to see an understrength, unfit and sometimes badly organised team. We all know there are better players in the county we just dont know why they are not on the panel, were they not asked in, why are they not interested - probably because there is no reward after putting in a huge effort? What is the incentive for any young lad to throw his lot in with Carlow? It may be only January but people who support Carlow every year can already get a sense of deja vu! I for one hope I'm wrong - i would love to see Carlow get out of the hell hole of Div 4. I think its possible with the right pick of players and obviously the right management.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 15/01/2013 11:22:21    1318520

Link

Benekerry - i dont believe the Carlow supporters are too vocal with the 'opinions' about the intercounty hurlers and footballers. I doubt very much that the players and the management even read this site. This is a discussion forum set up to talk about such matters in our county with people who share the same interest and as long as people stick to football and hurling and dont make it personal I dont see a problem with it. As far as I can see the people who contribute to Hoganstand actually attend most of the matches and really want to see Carlow do well. You can understand their frustration when they are shelving out 10 euro a pop to see an understrength, unfit and sometimes badly organised team. We all know there are better players in the county we just dont know why they are not on the panel, were they not asked in, why are they not interested - probably because there is no reward after putting in a huge effort? What is the incentive for any young lad to throw his lot in with Carlow? It may be only January but people who support Carlow every year can already get a sense of deja vu! I for one hope I'm wrong - i would love to see Carlow get out of the hell hole of Div 4. I think its possible with the right pick of players and obviously the right management.
I think you know very well that players do read the site. Every mgt decision is second guessed, all seem to know the right thing to do all the time, the right team to pick, the right tactics. It is supporting the team; there is always a smugness and superiority that posters know better than those involved as mgt or players. Some posters are at matches others not. As far as I know Carlow have been training very hard so to say they are unfit is the type of throw away comment that condems their preparation as being below par.
How do any of us here know what the fitness level of any player is? Have we fitness tested them or is it opinion? What is fit?
There are a lot of injured players unavailable to Carlow and other counties at the present time. Why? Would it have anything to do with 3 games in a week? Pros wouldnt have that schedule at the peak of their season never mind a pre season comp!
In too many cases support is conditional on who is in charge, what players are picked, what clubs are represented. Some people wont attend county games because they have a gripe with this or that, if it was as easy as it seems in the comments that are psoted anybody could play or manage!
It is frustrating to lose more often than win but lets cut them all a bit of slack

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 15/01/2013 12:00:28    1318545

Link

Benekerry were you at the 3 Obyrne games? I doubt it somehow cos if you were you couldnt possibly be as sanguine about our prospects as you seem to be. We were beaten out of sight by 2 very average teams and we struggled to beat a practically 3rd. choice Wicklow team. The defeats themselves we can handle god knows but its the manner of them thats depressing. Players who have already shown that they are not up to interco. still being persisted with, players being played out of position, forwards with no pace, One plan only: lump it up and try to win frees. Its far to easy to defend against when you have pacy backs like we saw last week. I hope like you that Anthony can turn it around if and when e gets his full squad fit, but thats all it is hope.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 15/01/2013 12:05:59    1318549

Link

Benekerry - anyone who attends the games can see whether a player is unfit - its pretty obvious! I didnt hear any manager complaining about 3 games in the one week - i presume it was a trial to see how it worked. Most managers say these competitions are about seeing what their players are like? Is this why some of our lads are injured im not so sure - a player could get injured in any given match or any training session. alot of our players seems to have carried long term injuries into this year and are unable to participate. I believe our lads are training hard and often - is this why they are injured? Obviously it depends on who is in charge with regards what players are picked - i just asked the question as to why certain players are not in - its been happening for years not just this year!
We wont all agree with each other on this site but thats why its called a discussion forum.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 15/01/2013 12:18:01    1318563

Link

im no expert, i have a decent knowledge of the game and tactics and never get personal, as for fitness well if a player is tiring badly in the earl stages of games i think it is fair to say that his fitness is not what it could be, now i know at this time of year the training does be hard so il reserve judgment on that until the league

now the tactics are another matter, to continue what we have been doing the last few year is wrong. results have shown this to be true, now we do seem to have altered this slightly but i would be concerned about the handpassing around the middle of the park on our own 45, that has disaster written all over it, the extra man back can work but it's how you do this, would it be better to have your wing forward running up and down the field and been more involved in general play or just use him when defending? they way the forwards are set up would require brendan murphy to play up there as he is the only player we have capable of winning that kind of ball, can we get by without him in midfield?

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1243 - 15/01/2013 13:31:44    1318611

Link

I'm no expert either, but you don't have to be an expert to know there's only two weeks left before we play Tipperary, one of the favourites to get promoted to division three who incidentally had a very good win over Cork last Sunday, that has to be positive and encouraging for Tipperary, where as we finished up at the bottom of our group with two bad losses so that has to be negative and discouraging for us, may be if there is an expert on here he can point out the positives and tell me there's nothing to worry about. I am not blaming Anthony Rainbow and I'm certainly not blaming the players in fact I applaud them for making themselves available for inter county selection, in a round about way I'm saying the whole structure concerning Carlow football is nonproductive from u-8 up and then we wonder why we have no effective or challenging minor or under twenty one teams, the question is what is our county board doing about it, add to that the last minute rush that took place to get an u-21 manager in place and we wonder why they are not performing.
Carlow is playing more recession football now than they have played during the past five years so Carlow football is like our economy ie it's in recession and no sign of it bottoming out. I remember when Anthony Rainbow was brought on board it was said he was brought in to freshen things up, in fact I think it is the county board that need's to be freshened up, they seem to be content with letting things plod along year after year and hope the problem goes away, unnoticed.
Last Sunday, Offaly, Tipperary, Leitrim, Waterford, Limerick all won Limerick beat Clare AET,those are all teams that we are going to meet in the league, London weren't playing, so in essence we were the only div.4 team beaten at the end of normal time ie 70 mins.
So in times like this are we not entitled to ask a few questions, hoping our CB will hear them, expect a few answers but alas we don't get them so we them vent our fustrations etc and we start all over again, it's been like this for years.
I neither live or work in the county for the past few years now but as a Carlow man I go to most Carlow matches during the year and that's the way it is, so from time to time (like now) I vent my critism, and I see nothing wrong with that as I try to keep it "constructive" and impersonal, I could go on,-----

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1946 - 15/01/2013 15:50:30    1318711

Link