Carlow Forum

Standard of club football in Carlow

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

and you copying mine tafka lol

it's a start but more needs to be done

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 06/11/2012 13:30:10    1293354

Link

Is this a blueprint for success for carlow football.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2751 - 06/11/2012 13:49:14    1293373

Link

I just hope that they handle it better than the last idea of mine they stole - but, then again, I wouldn't know was much as 'successful' businessmen would.

Next time I am home I will buy them a few pints, find out the secret of their 'success' and whatever happened to the Friends? And that rather expensive website?

If it wasn't so serious - it'd be funny. But they are 'successful' businessmen and that is why the Friends of Carlow is the thriving entity it is today and why their website is unrivaled in Ireland or beyond. When was it last updated? 1798? Obviously, with all that 'success' they don't have time to work on it.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 06/11/2012 14:55:19    1293435

Link

No, I think the blueprint is locked away somewhere. It was proposed by 'successful' businessmen but they became so busy with being successful that they haven't been able to update their website for a couple of years.

I hope that, one day, when their success is completed that they can find time to re-ignite the Friends of Carlow and deliver on all they promised.

Their plan was definitely the best I read - it must be dusted off now and implemented. Due to their success, finance will not be an issue.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 06/11/2012 15:08:18    1293442

Link

A nice piece of satire tafkano1fan. All so true.I remember the successful business men priorotising corporate donations over recruiting new members.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 425 - 06/11/2012 19:40:23    1293723

Link

How can you justified them goin down to junior if they were obviuosly good enough to win the intermediate title

No disrespect to the Cocks more4me but in reality they shouldn't have been good enough to win the intermediate and that is why this plan needs to be adopted - the intermediate champions in recent years are not good enough for senior and results in the Leinster club championship show that our intermediate and junior championships need to be re-structured. Also, in refernece to your point about the county board putting MLR down to intermediate well as I understand it this new structure won't kick in until 2014 so it is up to MLR to avoid being relegated if they are good enough i.e. it is in each clubs hands, not the county boards, to determine what grade they will play at in 2014.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 06/11/2012 21:51:20    1293825

Link

clubs should be givin a years notice as to what way the championships structure should be if there is to b a major change.

as i said clubs should be givin a year to get their own chance to decide where they will be playing, it would be wrong if it started next season

more4me (Carlow) - Posts: 93 - 07/11/2012 08:52:04    1293841

Link

So what exactly is the proposed new structure? Is there only one new proposal versus the old one? MLR & Kilbride will obviously reject this proposal along with a number of other clubs especially intermediate teams and why wouldn't they?
Also has the idea of divisional teams being considered, 2 intermediate teams joing to play senior, would surely increase standard of senior teams? Works in other counties.
If it is held off until 2014 (which it has to be), does that leave next years championship to be the same as this year with the bottom 4 teams being relegated in each championship? So jusging on this years results who would that leave junior, intermediate and senior?

CuriousNed (Carlow) - Posts: 5 - 07/11/2012 11:56:11    1293928

Link

to the best of my knowledge, this will be introduced next year if approved, why would mlr or kilbride have an issue with it, they can still make a senior qf next year, from what i have heard about it, 16 teams can make the senior qf next year.

will the league also change? that has been one of the biggest problems the last few years. also if based on last year eire ogs second team would be part of the second tier, this could lead to problems if they topped their group

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 07/11/2012 13:23:34    1294015

Link

Barrowsider you haven't obviously read the detail! 8 senior Teams can loose all 3 group games and still end up in a playoff to stay senior! Whereas n Eoin, kilbride, ml rankers & cocks have to win all three group games and still win a playoff to remain senior in 2014! Now how in gods name is that fair!

CARLOWTOTHECORE (Carlow) - Posts: 69 - 07/11/2012 16:05:32    1294152

Link

Barrowsider you haven't obviously read the detail! 8 senior Teams can loose all 3 group games and still end up in a playoff to stay senior! Whereas n Eoin, kilbride, ml rankers & cocks have to win all three group games and still win a playoff to remain senior in 2014! Now how in gods name is that fair!

CARLOWTOTHECORE (Carlow) - Posts: 69 - 07/11/2012 16:05:42    1294153

Link

kilbride don't as there already in the top 8 and not in the same group as mlr and n eoin an d cocks

hangup (Carlow) - Posts: 46 - 07/11/2012 16:45:31    1294192

Link

People getting worked up over nothing here. Firstly if you think the system isnt fair go away, train hard and stay up!
Its only a word, senior, inter, junior. Dont let it cod you on the actual standard of your club. Madness is doing the same thing over and again and expecting different results. Carlow football is sick and needs a cure. Lets try this and see if it helps.

bouncingball (Carlow) - Posts: 124 - 07/11/2012 17:10:44    1294209

Link

i hadn't seen it until this evening, i only had second hand reports. they have got it wrong as usual, you would have to question the mental capabilities of the people that came up with it, it looks very unfair on clonmore in particular, and then these groups of 4 are pointless when 3 teams come out of them and the 4th plays off against the top team from either group in tier 2 to make up the quarter finals. we need to get away from these league championships formats and get back to something closer to knockout, with a more meaningful league in the spring

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 07/11/2012 19:33:09    1294335

Link

I'm not so sure many people would agree with you on that barrowsider, 'get back to something closer to knock out', is the present format of playing championship in July, August and September - and October if you're lucky - not what the clubs and the players want. Would this meaningful league in the spring include county players, hurling and football county players, some club football teams have more intercounty hurlers than they do footballers. look at the intercounty programme from January to June and July if we are to make progress and see where could this league be played, realistically ! I actually thought a fair bit of thought had gone into it, probably not a popular thing to say on this site, but credit where it's due. This will reduce the number of teams competing in senior and intermediate to eight each, with the third eight playing junior A but still manages for the 'transition' year to allow all teams a chance to win the championship they thought they would be playing in. The championships will be seriously competitive from 2014, one of the top eight will be relegated to intermediate every year, and one going each way from intermediate and junior A.

Seany00 (Carlow) - Posts: 27 - 08/11/2012 14:00:51    1294693

Link

If Carlow get a good run in the championship, it could throw the planning for the local championship up in smoke.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2751 - 08/11/2012 17:37:10    1294938

Link

The thread reads, "The standard of club football in Carlow" and I have been following it with some interest, so this is my tuppence worth, out of the fourteen or so club's in the county, they can be rejigged, rearranged or reshuffeled call it what you like but it's not going to improve the standard of football, all it's going to do is window dress the real problem and plaster over the cracks. The real problem in my view is that the club's in general are not putting in enough effort to encourage more youngsters from u-6, u-8, u-10 etc into the clubs, put proper training procedures in place with proper coaches, with that and through time the players will raise the standard of the club.
If we look at St. Patrick's and O'Hanrahans, two clubs with a great history, ie both with senior co. titles and O'Hanrahans collected a leinster senior football championship title a few short years ago, yet both have almost disappeared off the football radar, so, restructuring the clubs is not going to help make either of them a serious challenge in the years ahead, their destiny is in their own hand like every other club, other than Eire Og, their a model for all clubs.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 08/11/2012 18:26:05    1294969

Link

no i'd imagine you are right seany, most would disagree with me, but that doesn't mean im wrong infact going by our tradition of failure im glad they don't agree with me, i don't claim to be right either, the plan get's to the right place in the end with the tiers of 8, i agree fully with that and my posts here over the years have stated that many times

it's how we get there and what we do when we get there that i differ on, the fact that you can lose all your games in the group and still make the quarters is not credible as far as im concerned also the fact that it is guaranteed that the winners of next years intermediate can not be promoted is not going to make the final stages of that comp in anyway meaningful

i think it needs some fine tuning, but that's up to the people who have a say in these things not me

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 08/11/2012 20:14:55    1295024

Link

Yes improve the quality of football and standard will rise with it.

Scallioneater (Carlow) - Posts: 287 - 08/11/2012 21:59:23    1295099

Link