Carlow Forum

County players can't play for clubs????

(Oldest Posts First)

I would love to know why in Carlow players who play with the senior county teams are told they can't play with their clubs (hurling or football) at this time of year. Have the county managers far too much say? If you take either Dublin or Kerry in football Killkenny or Tipperary in hurling all of whom have won All Irelands in the past 2 years players are not banned from playing with their clubs during the league. Only exception that I know of was the MLR players who came back to the county panel after the All Ireland.

Smac (Carlow) - Posts: 10 - 23/03/2012 18:24:19    1135797

Link

It's not just senior level , it is happening at minor level.One reason been that kevin ryan let the hurlers go play with theirclubs at the weekend and 3 of them came back injured.Ryan always let lads who were not on the starting 15 play games as he wants to let lads have game time which they are not getting with the county.

Clux (Carlow) - Posts: 72 - 24/03/2012 09:35:42    1135963

Link

smac, ya cant expect lads to train 4 times a week for county and mplay all club games. too much on them. also consider the dual clubs - as in the hurling ones who play fball. be v hard on them. also in kk the lge has a bearing on the champ draw, so a different situation.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2596 - 24/03/2012 10:17:55    1135973

Link

Very good point about KK Old Yellar. Maybe Carlow should look to do the same. I know it will be said that kk only play one game ie hurling but it seems to work for them. The same could be said for Tipp, probably not to the same extent. (Also in Tipp the league has no impact on the championship). I fully understand in the lead up to the inter county championship that all county players should be given time off from the club but not for the full national league campaign its crazy. I don't expect a player who trains 4 times a week with the county team to also train with his club however I do think that if a game is on he should be able to play with his club!! As for dual players If you take most clubs train 3 times per week, I beleive they should in a football time of the season give 2 sessions to football and 1 to hurling and the opposite when its hurling time (but thats just my opinion)

Smac (Carlow) - Posts: 10 - 24/03/2012 17:47:21    1136141

Link

Thats a terrible team and I predict that they will be beaten easily today.
SMAC, So tipp are not really a football county, wouldnt we love to be All Ireland minor champs. and people tell us that we werent Really a football county.get your facts straight before you come on here telling us of your wonderful opinions.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 25/03/2012 12:21:08    1136414

Link

pennypincher have I hit a nerve with you. Tipp are not really a football county even though they are the current all ireland minor champions. (Just for the record Carlow were the only team to beat tipp minors last year) That is mainly down to the fantastic work done by John Evans who has since left his role with the county. Even though John was a football man he never asked that players not play with their club during the national league!! Football in Tipp is not near as popular as hurling, also there are only a small number of senior football clubs compaired to hurling. As for my opinion I am more than entitled to share my concerns if you don't like it thats your problem and you need not worry my facts are right.

Smac (Carlow) - Posts: 10 - 29/03/2012 21:53:17    1139724

Link

In some counties, when the local leagues start certain designated rounds are played without county players, county panel may have a match or training weekend planned for that weekend. However players are available for other rounds. If players are coming back from a long term injury they are allowed to play for their clubs in the non county players rounds so that they can build up their match fitness. The arguement is a contencious one. But a compromise/balance must be reached. Neither the club or county wants players coming back injured and there is also the player welfare aspect. Dual players/clubs also creates a problem. There is no right wrong answer. I think that this is a discussion for the CB. County managers will not take on the role if they do not have access to all players at their disposal and clubs cannot suffer either.
An interesting point was Pat Gilroy. He agreed to stay on as manager of the Dubs if the Dublin CB scheduled as many matches as possible between the end of the NFL and the beginning of their Leinster Championship campaign in June. Players would be sharp going into the championship.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2758 - 30/03/2012 08:33:19    1139745

Link

Smac of course youre entitled to your opinion but when you start comparing KK in football to Tipp.(quote: the same applies to tipp. to a lesser extent) I feel obliged to comment. There is no comparison between KK and Tipp. as regards football....................end of. Tipp. are minor football champs. recent munster u21 winners, their senior team has improved no end in recent years, (bit of a blip this season,but still managed to draw with longford last week. KK ignore football completely.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 30/03/2012 14:38:02    1140072

Link

All players should be let play league games as it keeps everyone sharp. Its not like we have top class players that are irreplacable if they get injured, Brendan Murphy,Derek Hayden,Daniel St.Ledger and JJ Smith being the only exceptions.

Dirtyowlgearbag (Carlow) - Posts: 86 - 30/03/2012 18:18:21    1140279

Link

Daniel st. ledger irreplaceable ?????????. Good sense of humour there dirtyauld.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 30/03/2012 19:08:12    1140310

Link

smac... the reason that players on county teams are prevented from playing with their clubs is that managers plus selectors want to have exclusive time with the players at their disposal. I suspect that you are talking about hurling? I dont think football is as big an issue as hurling in this regard as most football clubs have sufficient players to play games without county players. The same cannot be said about all senior clubs in Carlow. Is it the case that a player has been dropped for playing with his club when asked not to by his county manager and selectors in hurling?

Whether clubs can compete successfully without their county players depends on each club. The bigger the club then the more it suits not to have their players as they can blood up and coming players. The smaller thelclub the greater the impact of the lack of players on their team.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1498 - 30/03/2012 20:19:07    1140346

Link

Well there must be some sort of mix up on who is allowed play for their clubs because as far as i am aware county players were allowed to play for Eire Og against Mt Leinster Rangers the other night. So perhaps there has been a 'relaxing' of the rules for the footballers.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 30/03/2012 20:59:14    1140373

Link

And I believe Shane Kav, Martin Clowry and Eoin Nolan lined out against Camross Sunday evening for Myshall. Wasn't at that game though, so not sure of the team.

St.John (Carlow) - Posts: 202 - 03/04/2012 11:11:37    1142560

Link

Pennypincher, Ledger was names in the star team of the week this week, is that enough proof of his importance for ya? Get the cap out of your eyes man

Dirtyowlgearbag (Carlow) - Posts: 86 - 03/04/2012 20:54:59    1143184

Link

Ledger had a serious game against Waterford. On his day he is devastating.

minorchmps11 (Carlow) - Posts: 320 - 04/04/2012 10:06:45    1143320

Link

Dirty i dont favour the traditional head wear so your advice doesnt apply. Look Im delighted that he played well against waterford and i hope he continues to improve into the summer, all the better for carlow. But your OTT comment bout him being irreplacable is just nonsense. He was only playing against Wicklow because John Murphy was injured, he was brought on in the last 20 mins against Clare so the selectors dont seem to think he is irreplacable either. I would be delighted if Daniel gets star man in every match that he plays for carlow this year. But,in thr meantime, if you make ridiculous statements dont be upset if people challenge you on them. A little less hyperbole pls.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 04/04/2012 10:29:40    1143338

Link

DIRTYOWLGEARBAG

If you had gone to any of the NFL matches this year you would see why others had a go at you for naming him as irreplaceable. His form has been poor so far. I cant comment on waterford game as I missed it, but in the 5 previous games if you had been there you would have seen for yourself. I hope for both the team and his own sake that he starts hitting form soon as we are limited on injuries.

THE BOSS (Carlow) - Posts: 475 - 06/04/2012 11:38:56    1144827

Link