Carlow Forum

O'Hanrahans heavy defeat.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Heard the meeting the other night was very positive with JJ Lambert back on board! I hope they get their act together as they have quite a number of good young players coming up and it will be the lifeblood the club needs going forward. These young players need to be integrated into the existing squad to ensure they have a good balance of youth & experience! It would have been a travesty had they packed it all in....best of luck to them....from the other side of town!!!!!!

Andi (Carlow) - Posts: 40 - 12/04/2010 21:30:30    615580

Link

How did they do this weekend.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2751 - 13/04/2010 08:00:50    615643

Link

yeah, i d agree it would be a shame to see any club in jeopardy, as in a small county we need all clubs to be vibrant and keep the talent coming. hope the get their act sorted out and comeback stronger from this..

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 13/04/2010 08:47:02    615661

Link

Jack L,

They didn't play its on Wednesday week.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1808 - 13/04/2010 21:43:03    616655

Link

Read in the indo they couldn't field at the weekend. Dropping into Intermediate ranks. Are many players tied up with the County team. A run in the qualifiers could stall the senior championship.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2751 - 18/05/2010 10:25:41    650654

Link

They have pulled out of the league and have put a call out to all eligible senior players to come back to the club. From what is in the local paper today they are going to assess the situation nearer championship! The soccer scene has always been there...that's not a factor. But at the moment it's the only place the boys are going to get competitive games!!! There was alot of transfers last year (dubious) to Askea and when the boys wanted to return this year their requests were blocked....and then the loss of the two quigleys this year to the Cocks wouldn't have helped their cause! I hope they gat back on track sooner rather than later as they have a fair bit of ground to make up!!!

Andi (Carlow) - Posts: 40 - 18/05/2010 11:41:49    650729

Link

It really has been "The Week From Hell" for Carlow football...

Its a shame that The Blues have opted out of the championship , a club that is steeped in history have fallen victim due to lack of interest from a pretty big number of players!!! I cant believe what has happened as i attended their semi final defeat to Old Leighlin last year , ok fair enough they did get well beaten but yet the old guard were 60 mins away from a county final.Im not blaming Eire Og or anything but it surely doesnt help that around 6 or 7 youngsters who were schooled in football by The Blues to join their rivals over the last few years , im not saying that had these lads of stayed along with the chaps who left for the Fighting Cocks and Askea would of achieved what the Leinster winning team did but the club wouldnt be in turnmoil thats a fact!! Ive watched it happen with Graigue in 2006 the team was relegated and bounced straight back up due to hard work being put in and by blooding in youngsters , this isnt the end for The Blues but maybe a chance to rebuild and possibly win abit of silverwear next season if they are down intermediate best of luck to a great club!!

WonderBoy (Laois) - Posts: 217 - 18/05/2010 13:19:30    650843

Link

Wonderboy who are the 6 or 7 players who went to Éire Óg...as far as im aware there have been two chaps who came up the juvenile ranks with O'Hanrahans...the others were already Éire Óg players who "lost their way" for a while!!!!!!:)
Im from Éire Óg and have said it before that I would hate to see them going in the direction that they are going at the moment! Hope things work out for them.

Andi (Carlow) - Posts: 40 - 18/05/2010 20:05:42    651440

Link

Andi, I think the junior soccer scene is having a big impact on Carlow football at the moment. With the small population of players and half the county playing hurling the lads who seem to be interested in soccer are a loss. With due respect apart from the premier division the junior soccer scene is purely social football on a Sunday morning but lads seem to be more interested in playing this than playing gaelic football. The organisation of the soccer seems to be the attraction with lads guaranteed competitive games every week for 9 months of the year. Gaelic football at club level only kicks in in March with little or no interest in the League because clubs are forced to field without their Co players and relegation only determined by championship results. Football in Carlow needs a radical overhall and if we are to survive as a football county the powers that be must put their heads together and come up with some constructive plan to rescue the situation.

Chips (Carlow) - Posts: 141 - 19/05/2010 16:30:07    652340

Link

is JJ Lambert still involved with them??

baile10 (Carlow) - Posts: 1 - 24/05/2010 20:03:25    657190

Link

who needs the league ???????????

youngsblues (Carlow) - Posts: 23 - 28/07/2010 13:09:45    726904

Link

Well. It seems this was a bit of a storm in a teacup ;-)

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 23/09/2012 17:50:17    1271150

Link

Well done to Mick Byrne and his team who brought the Blues to a semi final against Eire Og. They were outclassed on the day but they showed signs of an appetite for football and playing a good attractive brand that I believe is refreshing and imaginative which is not there among many other clubs. Some might declare this brand as being innocent and immature but I believe that the Blues this year have been a breadth of fesh air to the championship. People have posted on the dearth of talent in the county but the Blues have shown that with a good attitude to the game and how it should be played that good results can come your way.
Many will be expecting a lot of the Blues next year, but I think that it will take a strong hand over the Blues and the senior players sticking with the team to ensure that the Blues stay up there with the better teams in the county. Results do not come easily and hard work needs to be sustained if succes is to be there for any club. The Blues have had their problems in the past and to ensure that they progress a strong juvenile and under age structure needs to be strong and working. Many challenges there yet for the Blues but the last few weeks should give confidence to the club to keep the work going as there will be a chance again to get one step further and get to a final and anything can happen then.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1486 - 15/10/2012 21:04:28    1283708

Link