Carlow Forum

Hurling Forum - October

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Would get very repetitive I'd say mlr, the clubs that meet in the final would be meeting for the fourth time in the one championship season.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1014 - 14/10/2018 08:38:24    2146421

Link

I think should look at scrapping semi-finals until we can get another two teams back to senior standard. Top two go straight into final after league game's. It's only a game less. It means all matches would be competitive. One loss and you might not qualify. Not three meaningless game's.

Skippy2 (Carlow) - Posts: 22 - 15/10/2018 21:57:39    2146706

Link

I think the issue with Mcgrath park not hosting championship games any more has a lot to do with the big mortgage the county board have in Fenagh, the county board do not own Mcgrath park and so would be at a financial loss by playing games there. I agree that health and safety might be a factor also but you see allmost all of the championship games in Kilkenny played in club pitches around the county!! Why couldn't we do this? Have a home and away system for the league that's rolled from one year to the next and then semi's and finals in dr Cullen. It would massively increase the crowds and the atmosphere in the games.

If the same format stays in place the crowds will only get smaller and smaller. The county board need to wake up to this fact and act on it before it's too late. This years championship was a shambles!!

S.wright (Carlow) - Posts: 18 - 17/10/2018 17:32:51    2147004

Link

There is nothing you can do with a 4 team championship to make it attractive, you need a minimum of 6 preferably more and unless you can get 6 then other options must be looked into such as looking to enter another counties championship or joining with another county for club league/championship, maybe the county structure needs to go for the greater good and replace it with regional championships

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1175 - 18/10/2018 13:37:50    2147123

Link

The club scene from our own clubs perspective -

8 weeks waiting for a junior semi final since our last game (in fairness we got a walkover in last group game but last game was played in group on 7th sept),
our u21s drew on 11th July and playing again next weekend (both clubs looked for one postponement each - one due to illness/injury etc and the other due to the fixture being fixed for a Thursday night in September when lads back to college)
Our u19s played on the 8th august and haven't played since. Played 2 games in championship, one was given to us before the game threw in, so technically one. We were under the impression also that the top team in both groups went through to the final but this has now changed also.. Awaiting clarification..

This is not a jibe at our fixtures committee, far from it. They are b busy and try to manage a multitude of games and codes. I don't envy them. But this is what hurling we have done in last while. We need to look at the whole picture, not the senior only. I didn't mention the senior as its been well talked about.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2538 - 22/10/2018 08:22:08    2147587

Link

How did the forum go?

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1175 - 25/10/2018 09:53:46    2148235

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "How did the forum go?"
They are still in Conclave... wait for the white smoke.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 236 - 30/10/2018 08:18:49    2148677

Link

The problem with hurling in the county and the actual interest in solving it can be best summed up by this situation - our lads last hurled u19 on august 8th, but now in the first week of November we re playing the u19 football championship bang on time, week after week..

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2538 - 01/11/2018 08:02:20    2148967

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "The problem with hurling in the county and the actual interest in solving it can be best summed up by this situation - our lads last hurled u19 on august 8th, but now in the first week of November we re playing the u19 football championship bang on time, week after week.."
The fixtures are a mess, I do think clubs have a share of the blame there though, not all but some are notorious for looking for games to be moved, there really needs to be a tough line on that, play the game or lose it, one game getting moved can have a cascade effect on fixtures.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1175 - 01/11/2018 09:44:41    2148978

Link