Carlow Forum

Carlow Rising

(Oldest Posts First)

When I saw the 'Carlow Rising' heading in the Carlow GAA Twitter page last year I thought to myself that somebody was making a strong statement about what was to come next. Looking at what's happened this year all I can say is whoever introduced the Carlow Rising idea knew something I didn't at the time.

What a lift the two teams have given to Carlow GAA as well as the so called minnows of the GAA world. It's such a positive story and take my hat off to all those involved. All Carlow people should be very proud of those guys and I hope they get the recognition they deserve in the coming days and weeks. Carlow is definitely RISING!

iacob (Carlow) - Posts: 57 - 24/03/2018 20:03:52    2087517

Link

Hear, hear it is great to be alive for times like this ----" Is annamh is iontach" - what is rare is wonderful!!

The results of the past two weeks in both codes are nothing short of a phenomenal achievement. In fact given the tiny playing population, small number of clubs, that we field senior teams in both codes and underpinned by a weak tradition of success, I would humbly suggest that when adjusted for these factors, Carlow is in fact one of the most successful counties in the country when measured by league performance ( which to be fair is a good barometer of standing) ....

we are used to sickening defeats and disappointment. That makes days like these all the more sweeter. they are rare, but come from hard work and graft and while will not set the GAA world alight, mean a lot to Carlovians and those who 'get' what the GAA is about.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 451 - 24/03/2018 20:45:36    2087533

Link

Yes I'll admit when I first started see the Carlow rising tag I was a little dubious to say the least, especially as results in the football in particular were not rising, the tide turned I think thanks mostly to turlough O'Brien and his determination to get it right, the hurling is a bit different, Carlow have sat where they are now for ten year or so, maybe dropping a place or two and rising back a place or two, the challenge for them now is to be competitive in 1b another thing with hurling is that the club game in the county is struggling, basically 4 1/2 teams senior if last year is a fair Barometer, it would be very hard to see how we could become a strong county with such an obvious lack of club strength. I think that's something the gaa needs to address nationwide to make sure all club hurlers get a proper championship where possible.

Overall it's a fairly positive situation we find ourselves in, we are for our size possibly the best dual county in the country. If you look at similar sized counties like say Monaghan they are doing great at football but nothing at all with hurling. Longford likewise although a bit smaller than us too.

I think a mention should go to our county coaches too I know I have done some of the workshops they put on and they are incredibly professional. with that level of professionalism feeding down to our club coaches the future can be very good although I would add clubs need to be receptive to these initiatives too. Too often you go to these and see the same clubs not represented. I think every club in the county should have a level 3 coach working with their coaches to raise the standards.

I think over the next few years we will see some decent underage teams coming through too, I know the foals had a training day last month and had almost 100 turn up for it, that's fantastic to see and I know from talking to some of the young lads they loved it. The colts seem to be doing ok too and the type of expertise they are exposed to there can only bring them on.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 24/03/2018 22:09:28    2087566

Link

Don't want be overly critical bit I think the twitter page is still an issue. I mean at the end of 6 incredible days what do they do? Tweet a comprehensive mcgregor catchphrase. Surlet not appropriate

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 425 - 25/03/2018 08:45:00    2087604

Link

Don't want be overly critical bit I think the twitter page is still an issue. I mean at the end of 6 incredible days what do they do? Tweet a comprehensive mcgregor catchphrase. Surlet not appropriate

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 425 - 25/03/2018 08:45:07    2087605

Link

There's been other v good years lads but maybe its just because of the dual promotion and dare i say it more so because of the footballers, that we re seeing more positivity - have a look bad through the threads on here! The hurlers have had some great days picking from 6/7 adult clubs if even at times. Christy rings, beating Wexford in league, good 21 and minor teams etc. And of course mlrs and Erin's own all Ireland club appearances. And our camogie ladies haven't been too shoddy either! We ve had Eire og in the football, a Leinster minor final appearance, a kick of ball from beating dubs in 21, an O'Byrne cup win, school success of late... So my point is, there is always something positive to take from what our county is doing EVERY YEAR!! Hopefully we ll see bigger crowds at matches, more club volunteers, etc with all this extra energy. Our county is something to be hugely proud of every day.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 25/03/2018 09:30:44    2087612

Link