Dublin SFC: Crokes' goals sink Ballymun as Farrell's Na Fianna cruise in opener

April 13, 2019

Kilmacud Crokes' Pat Burke gets his shot away despite the efforts of Ballymun Kickhams' Philly McMahon ©INPHO/Laszlo Geczo

Kilmacud Crokes got their Dublin senior football championship defence off to the perfect start this evening after defeating Ballymun Kickhams by 2-13 to 0-14 at Parnell Park.

Goals in each half from Paul Mannion (penalty) and Steven Williams paved the path to victory for the holders in this entertaining Round 1 encounter.

Mannion’s penalty came off the back of a foul from Dublin team mate Philly McMahon just seven minutes in, handing Crokes an early 1-1 to 0-1 lead before Callum Pearson and Pat Burke (free) increased the advantage to five.

A couple of Dean Rock frees and a blazed over goal chance from Anton Swan helped close the gap to 1-6 to 0-5 at the half for Kickhams and the margin would be at two early in the restart thanks to the points of Jason Whelan and Rock (free).

Pearson made it a three-point game in response and that margin existed again with 10 minutes to go before Ted Furman and Rock (free) had it down to the minimum come the 53rd minute.

Crokes stead the ship though with the recently returned Rory O’Carroll impressing at full-back and they sealed the victory with a little over a minute left in regulation when Williams’ deflected shot looped in for another three points.

Meanwhile, the first game of the Parnell Park double-header, Dessie Farrell’s Na Fianna enjoyed a convincing 14-point success over St Sylvester’s.

Despite lining out minus the services of Jonny Cooper and Eoin Murchan, a Conor McHugh goal in the second minute sent the Glasnevin outfit on the road to a comfortable victory.

Aaron Byrne pounced for a second in the 11th minute and the winners led by 2-8 to 0-5 at the change of ends.

Na Fianna's James Doran and Dan Deneher of St Sylvesters

The second-half was only three minutes old when David Lacey added a third three pointer and the scoreboard read 3-14 to 0-9 at the final whistle.

St Sylvester’s finished the contest with 13-men after Mark and Jack Hazley were both shown red cards following separate incidents in the closing stages.

Most Read Stories