MFC Div 2 final: Shaw saves Summerhill

November 05, 2017

Summerhill keeper Conor Ryan makes a brave save as Peter Carroll Wolfe Tones closes in during the Meath MFC Division 2 Final at Pairc Tailteann. TO VIEW A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THIS GAME CLICK HERE

Liam Shaw's late pointed free earned Summerhill a draw with Wolfe Tones in the MFC Division 2 final at Pairc Tailteann

Summerhill ...... 1-14
Wolfe Tones ...... 2-11

Wolfe Tones led for most of the way and were fending off a strong Summerhill rally before Liam Shaw's 10th point of the game forced a replay.

Wolfe Tones also had defender Jake McFadden dismissed on receipt of a black card (having earlier picked up a yellow card) following the award of that free.

Summerhill outscored Wolfe Tones by 0-8 to 0-4 in the second-half with Conor Frayne - who along with Shaw made a substitute appearance in the SFC final seven days earlier. Jamie O'Shea completed Summerhill's tally with 1-1.

Wolfe Tones had a slightly better spread of scorers with Caolan Ward's 40-metre free - their first score of the second-half - being the highlight.

Both sides can point to missed chances with Jamie Ryan 45th minute flicked effort flying wide. That would have left Summerhill 2-10 to 2-8 ahead.

Seconds later a close range 'Tones goal attempt was cleared off the line by a defender.

Wolfe Tones led by two points heading into the 59th minute. Their full-back Alan Lynam appeared to be fouled in the build-up to the penultimate score.

A foul on Frayne led to Shaw's leveller in the first minute of added time.

Summerhill responded well to the concession of the opening point to the 'Tones with Jamie O'Shea's third minute goal. By the 11th minute Summerhill were five points clear, 1-3 to 0-1 despite playing against the wind. Team captain Liam Shaw accounted for his sides five first-half points (four frees).

Wolfe Tones dropped full-forward Saran O Fionnagain a bit deeper to good effect. Cathal O Bric charges popped over three points on the spin through Caolan Ward (free), Oisin Martin and O Fionnagain (free) to trail by two points heading into the second quarter.

Then in the 16th minute Evan Corrigan goaled with help from team captain Oisin MacGhinneartai and the nearby board read 1-4 to 1-3.

Wolfe Tones took the lead to the break. They might have had another goal but Oisin MacGhinneartai's low shot was narrowly wide.

Oisin Martin's stoppage time goal boosted the 'Tones to a 2-7 to 1-5 interval advantage, but with the prospect of having to face the elements in the second-half.

Summerhill - Conor Ryan; Adam Byrne, Ronan Larkin, Kyle Cosgrove; Tommy Troy, John Keane, Jack Bannon; Diarmuid McCabe, Sean Blackwell; Conor Somerville, Liam Shaw (C) (0-10,9fs), Jamie Ryan; Jamie O'Shea (1-1), Conor Frayne (0-3), Gearoid Dardis. Subs - Donal Matthews for Keane (bs 30 + 1 - 31), Kian Hussey for Dardis (40), Luke Moran for J Ryan (56).

Wolfe Tones - Laochra O Fionnagain; Jake McFadden, Alan Lynam, Mark McFadden; Rowhan Murray, Oisin MacGhinneartai (C), Peter Carroll;Caolan Ward (0-4, 3fs), Rioghan MacGhinneartai (0-1); Oisin Corrigan, Dan Foley, Iarlaith O'Kelly-Lynch; Oisin Martin (1-1), Saran O Fionnagain (0-4, 1f), Evan Corrigan (1-1). Subs - Ben Lowe for Foley (45), Conall O Fearraigh for O'Kelly-Lynch (51)

Referee - Padraig Coyle (Seneschalstown)

Most Read Stories