Tribe topple Tipp

July 31, 2005
Galway overturned a five-point interval deficit to outclass Tipperary by 2-20 to 2-18 in a pulsating All-Ireland SHC quarter-final at Croke Park. The Munster county looked poised for a semi-final place when leading by six points as the match approached its final quarter but Galway seized the day - and the prize of a place in the last four - with a devastating late surge. The game seemed to have slipped away from the Maroons but they stunned Tipp with a late scoring burst of 1-6 to a solitary reply, transforming a six-point deficit into a fantastic two-point victory. Tipperary took the initiative with first half goals from Paul and Eoin Kelly (penalty) but Galway refused to give up the ghost and won it out with an immense second-half rally. Centre forward David Forde was magnificent in the second period, causing the Tipp defence all sorts of problems with his purposeful runs, and the No.11 capped a superb display with a stunning goal. Damien Hayes added Galway's second three-pointer and it was that score which sparked a remarkable Galway revival. Tipp led by 2-9 to 0-10 at the break. Galway had enjoyed their fair share of possession during the first half but the goals from the Kellys left them reeling, despite six first-half points from impressive corner forward Ger Farragher. Though outscored only by eleven to ten in the opening period, the Tribesmen trailed by five at the interval and had it all to do in the second half. When the questions were asked, they didn't dissapoint. Tipp got the first score of the second half but Galway replied instantly with an excellent David Forde goal. The centre forward didn't seem to have a goal on when he gathered Damien Hayes' clever handpass but he had his mind made up and evaded substitute Conor O'Mahoney (a replacement for the stricken Phillip Maher) with a quick sidestep before firing an unstoppable drive into the middle of the net. Another Paul Kelly free - bringing his tally to 1-5 - edged Tipp four points clear, 2-11 to 1-10, but Fergal Healy replied immediately with an excellent score from play (his second point). It was the Premier County who seemed to take encouragement from the first Galway goal, however, and they moved six points clear with three points in as many minutes: Ger 'Redser' O'Grady scored a great point within minutes of his introduction and Micheal Webster followed up with his first point of the match before Eoin Kelly stretched the advantage to 2-14 to 1-11. Galway looked out of it but they finished the game in overwhelming fashion to advance to the semi-final stage. Midfielder David Tierney pulled back a point. Forde set up full forward Richie Murray, whose shot was tipped onto the post and out by Brendan Cummins. Farragher pointed the resultant 65 but Eoin Kelly replied instantaneously at the Canal End. Hayes then burst through the Tipperary defence and came within inches of delivering the westerners' second goal. The corner forward's fierce low shot flew just outside the post. Eoin Kelly (free) brought his total for the match to 1-8 and added his ninth point from another placed ball from great distance after Tiernan had struck an excellent Galway point from play. Murray was forced to forage out the field and he popped over a good point before Hayes scored arguably the best goal of the senior hurling championship so far. The corner forward demonstrated great hunger and strength to wrestle Maloney out of the way before blasting a stinging shot into the roof of the net. Cummins is good but he's not that good! Alan Kerins reduced the gap to one with ten minutes remaining and Murray struck the equaliser from way out the field two minutes later. With 62 minutes gone, it was all to play for, 2-17 apiece. Farragher struck a mammoth free from inside his own half to give Galway an unlikely lead but left half back David Fitzgerald proved that Tipp have tremendous heart when levelling with a brilliant point. Murray got free and landed a lovely point to sneak the Tribe back in front. O'Grady appeared to have levelled the scores again but his 32nd-minute effort was harshly adjudged to have gone wide. Farragher took advantage with his ninth point. Suddenly, it was all Galway and Tipp's woes were confounded when Paul Kelly struck a bad wide. Kerins' last-minute attempt shaved the outside of the post. But the final whistle sounded after a minute of added time and Galway are through to an All-Ireland semi-final.

Most Read Stories