HL QF: Tipp hang on against Cork

March 30, 2014

Cork's Christopher Joyce with Niall O'Meara of Tipperary.
©INPHO/James Crombie.
A pulsating contest at Semple Stadium saw Tipperary defeat Cork by 3-25 to 4-19 in this NHL quarterfinal.

In what was one of the best games of hurling witnessed this year, Tipp and Cork must be applauded for their parts in a wonderful encounter.

Early on it looked as if Tipp were going to cruise to victory as they lead by 2-04 to 0-00 by the sixth minute, but Cork came back well and lead at the break.

However, John O'Dwyer was in magnificent form for the Premier County and he finished with a personal tally of 1-07. Tipp will now meet Clare in the semi final.

Once again Pat Horgan was in great for the rebels as was Seamus Harnedy who got two goals midway through the first half to haul the Rebels back into the game.

Cork were all over the place during the early exchanges and Denis Maher had the sliotar in the net after the first minute, they tagged on three points before O'Meara got in for their second as they had a ten-point lead, yet the game wasn't eight minutes old.

Horgan point a free for Cork to open their account and soon after Harnedy scored a cracking goal. This seemed to lift Cork as the gap was down to a point by the 14th minute as Harnedy got his second goal of the game.

It was very much game on from here on, even though Tipp did lead by five points at different stages. The sides were level at 2-08 each by the 31st minute as Horgan converted a free.

O'Dwyer put Tipp back in front when he fired past Anthony Nash, but the Cork 'keeper was called upon moments later to take a 20 metre free. The trademark run up was made and the result as is usually the case was a goal for Cork.

Jamie Coughlan added a point and two more from Horgan helped Cork go in at the break leading by 3-11 to 3-09. Tipp started the second half very well and points from Noel McGrath, O'Dwyer and Maher helped them take control of the match as it entered the final quarter.

However, Cork were not to be outdone just yet as Conor Lehane and Horgan scored points to drag them back into the game. A late goal by Horgan set up a grandstand finish as two points separated the sides with the game in injury time.

To add to the excitement Cork were awarded another 20 metre free and up stepped Nash once again, but this time his effort was stopped by a sea of blue and gold on the goal line. Referee Barry Kelly blew for full time straight away and Tipp go on to the semi finals.

Scorers for Tipperary: John O'Dwyer 1-7, Seamus Callanan 0-8 (3f, 1 65), Denis Maher 1-1, Niall O'Meara 1-0, James Woodlock, Noel McGrath, Shane Bourke 0-2 each, Conor O'Brien, Brendan Maher, Kieran Bergin 0-1 each. Scorers for Cork: Patrick Horgan 1-8 (0-5f, 0-1 65), Seamus Harnedy 2-0, Anthony Nash 1-0f, Jamie Coughlan, Conor Lehane 0-3 each, Daniel Kearney 0-2, Killian Burke, William Egan; Patrick Cronin 0-1 each.

Tipperary: Darragh Egan; Paddy Stapleton, Conor O'Mahony, Conor O'Brien; James Barry, Brendan Maher, Thomas Stapleton; Kieran Bergin, James Woodlock; Denis Maher, Noel McGrath, John O'Dwyer; Shane Bourke, Seamus Callanan, Niall O'Meara. Subs: Ronan Maher for O'Mahony (half-time), Jason Forde for O'Meara (52), Liam McGrath for Bourke (62), Eoin Kelly for D Maher (66), John O'Brien for Callanan (70+1).

Cork: Anthony Nash; Christopher Joyce, Damien Cahalane, Killian Burke; Lorcán McLoughlin, William Egan, Eoin Keane; Daniel Kearney, Paul Haughney; Brian Lawton, Seamus Harnedy, Patrick Cronin; Patrick Horgan, Conor Lehane, Jamie Coughlan. Subs: Rob O'Shea for Lawton (49), Cian McCarthy for Haughney (61), Alan Cadogan for Coughlan (62).

Most Read Stories