HL1A: Tipp do enough against Dubs

March 23, 2014

Dublin's Joey Boland with Cathal Barrett of Tipperary.
©INPHO/Donall Farmer.
Tipperary scored a 1-19 to 0-19 victory over Dublin at Semple Stadium - a result which has major implications for both teams.

The three-point margin means that Tipp - who trailed by six points at one stage today - have booked a league quarter-final date with Cork, while Dublin must face Waterford in the relegation play-off.

Dublin led by the odd point from 19 at the short whistle, with Alan McCrabbe and Seamus Callanan providing the bulk of the first-half scores at either end.

Paddy Murphy replaced flu victim James Woodlock in the Tipp XV and the Dubs struck first with a McCrabbe brace mere seconds after throw-in. Callanan replied from a Tipp free.

The next two points were shared before McCrabbe's excellent score made it double scores after eight minutes, 0-4 to 0-2. Ryan O'Dwyer added further Dublin points either side of a Michael Cahill effort for the Premier County.

Danny Sutcliffe's score made it a five-point game after 19 minutes - 0-8 to 0-3 - and McCrabbe drilled over a free from the middle of the pitch before Tipp came storming back to within two with a run of points from Callanan(2), Kieran Bergin and John O'Dwyer.

Wing back Michael Carton stretched Dublin's lead again but a brace of Callanan scores left the minimum between them at the interval, 0-10 to 0-9.

McCrabbe, Sutcliffe and O'Dwyer registered three successive points for the visitors upon the restart but Tipp responded with a goal from Patrick Bonner Maher. McCrabbe's finish left two between them after 44 minutes. But Noel McGrath replied almost immediately.

The visitors finally edged in front thanks to points from Callanan and McGrath. After Carton briefly levelled the scores, Tipp pulled clear with a run of points from McGrath, Callanan and O'Dwyer: 1-15 to 0-15.

The Dubs rallied with points from Joey Boland (free) and Sutcliffe to leave the minimum between the sides with ten minutes left to play. Callanan's point four minutes from the end doubled the gap and gave the hosts some breathing space and his second successive converted free stretched the gap to three.

McCrabbe and Callanan (free) swapped points in the 68th and 69th minutes and McCrabbe fired over a Dublin free on the stroke of full time.

Maher got the last score as Eamon O'Shea's charges secured the three-point victory they needed to scrape into the knock-out stage of the competition, while the Dubs are heading for another relegation battle.

Tipperary - D Egan; P Stapleton, C O'Mahony, C Barrett; M Cahill (0-1), B Maher, C O'Brien; K Bergin (0-1), S McGrath; J O'Dwyer (0-2), N McGrath (0-3), P Murphy; J Forde, S Callanan (0-11, 8f), P Maher (1-0). Subs: D Maher for P Murphy, J Barry for M Cahill, E Kelly for P Maher, R Maher (0-1) for S McGrath, M Heffernan for J Forde.

Dublin - G Maguire; N Corcoran, P Kelly, C O'Callaghan; M Carton (0-2), L Rushe, S Durkin; J Boland (0-1f), J McCaffrey; R O'Dwyer (0-3), A McCrabbe (0-10, 8f), C Keaney; D O'Callaghan, D Sutcliffe (0-3), C Cronin. Subs: M Schutte for C Cronin, N McMorrow for C O'Callaghan, P Ryan for D O'Callaghan.

Referee - B Gavin.

Most Read Stories