Pat's pip Blacks

June 23, 2008

St Pats Barry Campbell and Walterstown's Brian McGrane fight for possession during the Meath SFC at Ashbourne
Niall Mooney's 35th minute goal was the difference between the sides as St Patrick's held on for a narrow Commons Hardware SFC Group B win over Walterstown at windy Ashbourne on Sunday evening. St Patrick's 1-8 Walterstown 1-5 Mooney's goal left the Stamullen side with a 1-6 to 1-1 advantage and despite playing into a gale force wind at this exposed venue they managed to hold out to post their second win from three starts and move into second place in the table with one round remaining. Points from Daithi Whyte and Darren Hagan left Mickey McQuillan's charges with a six points advantage, 1-8 to 1-2, heading into the final ten minutes of a game that was spoiled by the windy conditions. However, with Ronan Kearns showing well at centre-half-back and former county 'keeper Cormac Sullivan doing well at midfield, St Patrick's held on. Despite the apparent advantage offered by the elements in the second period, Walterstown could only manage four second-half scores, including the last three in the hour. Then in stoppage time at the end of the hour, Paddy Reynolds saw his goal attempt turned out for a '45' that proved fruitless. With their four-match campaign complete Walterstown must await the outcome of the final pair of fixtures in the group to find out if they will be involved in the relegation dogfight for the second year running. Walterstown's got a tonic start when Alban Crosbie netted six minutes in. With St Pat's finding it difficult to gauge the wind they didn't get back on level terms until the 17th minute when Kearns pointed. They hit the front for the first time when Barry Campbell found the range from play but that score was quickly countered by a similar effort from John Geoghegan. St Pat's looked set to rue seven first-half wides until Whyte and Niall Mooney registered from distance in stoppage time and they were never subsequently reeled in. The eventual winners led by 0-6 to 1-1 at the break and might have been further ahead but for a fine double save by Walterstown 'keeper Ciaran Lydon from Hagan and Ciaran Calvey in the 19th minute. With just two points between the sides at half-time the outcome appeared to be in the balence. However, Mooney's goal left Walterstown's with too much to do on a night when scores were at a premium. St Patrick's - E. Connolly; J. Woods, K. Whearty, A. Reilly; R. Russell, R. Kearns (0-1), A. Mooney; C. Sullivan, D. Hagan (0-1); M. Brandon, D. Whyte (0-2), N. Mooney (1-1); B. Campbell (0-2, 1 free), C. Calvey, N. Whearty (0-1). Walterstown - C. Lydon; B. McGrane, G. McGuinness, D. Kennedy; Peter Reynolds, P. Murray, D. Reynolds; A. Crosbie (1-2, 0-1 free), C. McCarthy (0-2 frees); Paddy Reynolds, J. Geoghegan (0-1), D. Maguire, S. Callaghan, R. Barry, C. Reynolds. Subs - A. Khan for Geoghegan (41 mins), R. Reynolds for Barry (51 mins). Referee - M. Quinn (Clann na nGael).

Most Read Stories