'Wood floored by Duleek/Bellewstown

June 22, 2008

The Collins boys Kieran and Mark scored a total of 2-6 for Duleek/Bellewstown
Duleek/Bellewstown overwhelmed Kilmainhamwood in this Commons Hardware SFC fixture played in heavy rain on Saturday evening at Simonstown where the Cavan-border side completed their Group C programme with a 24 points defeat and face into another relegation dogfight. Duleek/Bellewstown 5-16 Kilmainhamwood 1-4 Despite the heavy rain, the pitch was in great order and Duleek/Bellewstown wasted little time in wrapping up the points to secure their second win from three starts to maintain their bid for the knockout stages of the championship. By the end of the game the sun was out and nine different players had got off the mark for the newly amalgamated side and the margin of victory could have been wider but for the valiant efforts of Kilmainhamwood 'keeper Mark Kierans. With Karl McDonnell and Tony Cunningham dominant at midfield while Gordon Hynes pushed forward from the half-back line at every opportunity, all the traffic was heading towards the Kilmainhamwood goal in the opening period. County minor Mark Collins got the opening two points for Duleek/Bellewstown and totaled 0-5 but it was his older brother Kieran who took the scoring honours finishing with 2-1 to his name. A bout of short passing led to his opening goal in the 14th minute with Peter Curran and Karl McDonnell in prominent support roles and that left it 1-5 to 0-0. His second goal arrived in first-half stoppage time with his younger sibling providing the assist and it was 2-10 to 0-0 at the break. In between those major scores Daire Ferguson was denied a goal by a smart save from Kierans. Within 40 seconds of the resumption, Kilmainhamwood got off the mark when Duleek/Bellewstown 'keeper Ricky Nolan failed to deal with a Ray McGee centre and Colm Gilchreest slotted the ball to the net. That score only offered temporary respite to the 'Wood as Duleek/Bellewstown tagged on 1-5 in a seven-minute spell with former county senior Peter Curran getting their third goal. Substitute Raymond Cunningham - a member of more successful Kilmainhamwood sides - announced his arrival with a point Sean Kiernan registered two second half points. On two further occasions Kierans did his bit to keep Duleek/Bellewstown goal attempts out but couldn't prevent substitute Bryan Cudden and Daire Ferguson completing the winners' goal tally in the final quarter. Duleek/Bellewstown - R. Nolan; D. Crosby, K. Smith, D. Teeling; Donard Ferguson, P. Martin, G. Hynes (0-1); K. McDonnell, T. Cunningham (0-1); C. Dunne (0-3), P. Curran (1-3), P. Howard; Daire Ferguson (1-1), K. Collins (2-1), M. Collins (0-5, 1 free). Subs - D. Mills (0-1) for Howard (29 mins), M. Dowling for Hynes (39 mins), B. Cudden (1-0) for Curran (40 mins), J. Devereaux for M. Collins (41 mins). Kilmainhamwood - M. Kierans; P. Moran, S. Smith, D. Cunningham; S. Mulligan, A. Farrelly, P. Barber; R. Madden, P. Carolan (0-1); K. Russell, F. Owens, C. Gilchreest (1-0); R. McGee, D. Russell, S. Kiernan (0-2). Subs - L. Shankey for Smith (9 mins), H. Corbally for K. Russell (40 mins), R. Cunningham (0-1) for D. Russell (43 mins). Referee - G. O'Brien (Wolfe Tones).

Most Read Stories