Cian encore Tones down Summerhill

May 04, 2008

John Tiernan scored 1-2 for Wolfe Tones
Cian Ward hit nine points (one less than his tally in the previous round) as Wolfe Tones produced as strong second-half recovery to overcome a strong Summerhill challenge in this quality Commons Hardware SFC Group A fixture at Dunsany on Sunday afternoon. Wolfe Tones 2-13 Summerhill 1-10 The outcome moves the 2006 champions to the top of this highly competitive group marginally ahead of O'Mahonys - who beat Skryne by 0-14 to 0-10 at Dunshaughlin - on scoring difference with two of the five rounds of this phase of the competition played. In arrears by 2-4 to 1-9 at the interval having played into a stiff diagonal wind, Tony Kearney's men outscored the 'Hill by 0-9 to 0-1 thereafter. Summerhill - winners over Rathkenny in round one - got the first score of the second period, a point free from Stephen Kennedy that left it 1-10 to 2-4 after 39 minutes but Mattie Kerrigan's and Padraig Lyons' men failed to register again. They were also left to rue seven second-half wides and the failure to make more of the goal chances that came their way. Also Eoghan Harrington curbed the influence the Summerhill number 13 in the latter stages While Ward took the scoring plaudits again, he got great support from the hard-grafting John Tiernan and his 41st minute point sparked the run on nine scores on the spin that secured the 'Tones a first win of the campaign having drawn with O'Mahonys in the opening round. Another Tiernan point had the margin pared to the minimum heading into the final quarter. Ward pitched in with a couple of top notch scores from frees and had another effort ruled wide that appeared to go over. Points from Gordon Beggy and Paul Byrne left a goal between the sides with under five minutes remaining. Then Summerhill Brian Ennis missed a close range free that was deflected onto the crossbar and cleared. Within seconds Ward landed a great effort from play from out on the right and improved his side's points difference with two further efforts from frees. This game proved to be the tie of the round and opened with great brio. Stephen Kennedy might have goaled when opening the scoring with a second minute point. By half-time he had 1-5 to his name. Goals from Stephen Sheppard and Tiernan left it 2-2 to 0-4 after 16 mins and Wolfe Tones' lead was up to five when Ward pointed his third free of the half. Maurice Kennedy and Stephen Corrigan were having a great tussle at midfield and when Stephen Kennedy fired low to the net the side were level, 1-6 to 2-3, 22 minutes gone. The sides exhanges further points before Stephen Kennedy wrapped up the first-half scoring with two further efforts (one from a free). In the last action of the half Cian Ward was unfortunate to see a long range free drift narrowly wide. Wolfe Tones - D. Nolan; R. Brady, C. McLoughlin, A. McKeown; D. McGrath, E. Harrington, B. McGinn; S. Corrigan, S. Sheppard (1-0); N. McLoughlin, J. Tiernan (1-2), G. Beggy (0-1); P. Byrne (0-1), A. Fox, C. Ward (0-9, 0-7 frees). Sub - D. O'Neill for Brady (42 mins). Summerhill - T. McDonnell; C. Young, G. Rispin, C. Foley; M. Gorman, B. Ennis, A. Kenny; M. Kennedy, D. Byrne; P. Rispin (0-2, 1 free), R. Donnelly (0-1), C. Gillespie; S. Kennedy (1-6, 2 frees), M. O'Reilly (0-1), P. Larkin. Subs - D. Dalton for Larkin (39 mins), M. McNally for Rispin (46 mins), M. Byrne for Gillespie (57 mins). Referee - J. Curley (Moynalty).

Most Read Stories