Blackhall out despite disposing of Ballinlough

September 10, 2007

Tadgh Brosnan scored 1-4 for Blackhall Gaels.
Despite posting a six-point victory over Ballinlough (3-10 to 3-4), Blackhall Gaels made a premature exit from this years SFC at Walterstown on Sunday afternoon as neighbours Dunshaughlin booked the last available ticket in Group B to the last eight by beating Summerhill. Blackhall Gaels .............. 3-10 Ballinlough ..................... 3-4 It was a highly entertaining clash that was made all the more interesting by two quickfire goals from Ballinlough in the opening eight minutes which handed them a 2-0 to 0-0 lead and left the small gathering in Walterstown thinking an upset might be on the cards. Peader Byrne got the first of those after seven minutes when he blasted to the roof of the net after Martin Whelan had stopped his initial effort and less than a minute later Terry Fagan raised another green flag. Fagan gathered possession from a Colm Mallon pass and produced a sublime finish to chip the advancing Whelan, who had strayed a couple of yards off his line. Despite those two majors, Ballinlough only managed to go in on level terms at the break, 2-2 to 1-5, as Andy Dalton's point attempt in the 26th minute ended up in the back of the net after Ballinlough 'keeper James Higgins failed to gather it cleanly. Ballinlough had two further goal chances on the resumption but Ken Rothwell and Colm Mallon lacked conviction in their efforts and Blackhall were let off the hook. The Batterstown/Kilcloon outfit then assumed control with Tadgh Brosnan netting in the 33rd minute and points from Alan Nestor and David Carty swiftly followed to put Blackhall in the driving seat. The game was then ended as a contest when Johnaton Meyler found the net with seven minutes remaining but Ballinlough ensured there was some justice on the scoreline when substitute Dan McCarten netting in the final minute. Blackhall Gaels - M. Whelan; D. O'Neill, N. O'Hora, D. O'Brien; D. Dalton, G. Beirne, A. Dalton (1-0); P. O'Brien, C. McElligott; J. Callanan, A. Nestor (0-3), J. Meyler (1-1); D. Carty (0-1), T. Brosnan (1-4, 2 frees), A. Brady (0-1). Subs - M. Mullaly for Whelan (46 mins). Ballinlough - J Higgins; K. McGuinness, J. Byrne, D. O'Reilly; J. O'Keeffe, D. Muldoon, R. Farrell; S. Byrne, Cian Mallon; Colm Mallon (0-1, 1 free), K. Devine (0-2, 2 frees), T. Fagan (1-0); P. Ryan, P. Byrne (1-1), K. Rothwell. Subs - R. McGuinness for K. McGuinness (16 mins), D. McCarten (1-0) for Ryan (51 mins), S. Kane for Farrell (56 mins), J. Farrelly for Rothwell (57 mins). Referee - J. Gordon (Walterstown).

Most Read Stories