Rathkenny down Donaghmore to reach semi-final

September 25, 2006
Rathkenny caused a big shock by defeating a fancied Donaghmore Ashbourne outfit before a large crowd in Seneschalstown last Sunday afternoon. Rathkenny 1-08 Donaghmore Ashbourne 1-04 It was a tense opening quarter for both sides, with six wides in the opening five minutes. Rathkenny opened their account with a Thomas Martin free on eight minutes. That lead could have been extended in the thirteenth minute when Rathkenny rattled the crossbar and in the ensuing goalmouth scramble the ball went inches wide. That let off woke Donaghmore Ashbourne up and they produced their best football of the match with scores on 16 minutes (free), twenty-two minutes and a glorious effort from a sideline ball two minutes later to lead by two. Rathkenny however ended the half with 1-4 in the final five minutes. Thomas Martin got Rathkenny's second score on twenty-five minutes, followed by a free a minute later, to level matters. Rathkenny were back in front again as Ivan Lenehan was quickest to react to a cross-field ball to punch over on twenty-eight minutes. Thomas Martin extended the lead to two points with another super effort from play. Rathkenny's all-important goal came on the stroke of half time when Brian Meade was in the right place to fist to the net following a highball towards the goals. That left it 1-5 to 0-3 at half time. Rathkenny got the all-important first score of the second half when Owen Elliott slotted over a lovely point four minutes after the break. Donaghmore Ashbourne replied with a free on thirty-seven minutes. Rathkenny defended extremely well throughout and with the clock running down Donaghmore Ashbourne kicked five wides in a row. Owen Elliott kicked another lovely point on forty-nine minutes to leave it 1-7 to 0-4 going into the final ten minutes. Donaghmore Ashbourne came in search of goals and when one finally arrived, it left three between the sides with two minutes remaining. Rathkenny continued to defend extremely well and got the insurance score from the boot of Thomas Martin in the final minute. Rathkenny played the better football on the day and seemed to have a bigger hunger. Next up for Rathkenny is a mouth watering semi-final against neighbours Castletown. Rathkenny - J. Martin; J. Macken, D. Curtis, M. Reid; M. Macken, T. McKeever, D. Donegan; J. Donegan, R. Curtis; I. Lenehan (0-1), B. Meade (1-0), O. Elliott (0-2), T. Martin (0-5), D. Barron, T. Rowan. Subs - J. Curtis for Rowan, D. Smith for Barron.

Most Read Stories