SFC Group C: McCarthy secures Dunboyne win

May 18, 2017

Dunboyne''s Niall Jones with Niall Murphy Dunshaughlin during the Meath SFC game at Pairc Tailteann.

SFC Group C: McCarthy secures Dunboyne win

The 2017 Keegan Cup chase opened at Pairc Tailteann on Wednesday evening when Dunboyne eventually shook off resilient Dunshaughlin.

Dunboyne ......... 1-12
Dunshaughlin ..... 1-7

Robbie McCarthy's stoppage time goal - with assistance from Ronan Jones - secured the points for the hot favourites.

In the 57th minute, Cathal O'Dwyer (free) left Dunshaughlin just one point in arrears, 0-11 to 1-7. Overall, Dunboyne controlled the game and in seeing out the final minutes well were rewarded with McCarthy's goal from close range at the town end.

Seven players contributed to Dunboyne's total and when wing-back Conor Doran got off the mark it was 0-10 to 0-5 with 40 minutes gone.

Two minutes later O'Dwyer - who finished with 1-6 to his name - slotted a penalty to the net to cut the deficit to two points. The number 15's 49th minute free left just one point in it

In between those two scores Dunshaughlin were denied a goal when Fergus Toolan's drive rebouned off the crossbar. As the game entered the final 10 minutes Dunboyne might have goaled but Niall Jones' attempt was smothered by Adam McDermott.

Overall, it was an exciting finale to an hour that, understandably at times resembled the early stages of a marathon.

Backed by the breeze, Dunshaughlin played towards the town goal in the first-half, but proved wasteful in the opening 20 minutes when posting five wides.

Dunboyne equalled that tally before the interval but were never headed. Scores were tied twice in the opening nine minutes. Cathal O'Dwyer's first from play being the highlight of the phase of the game.

Donal Lenihan (free) restored Dunboyne's lead in the 15th minute and wearing their alternative green jersey they took it to the break. Cathal Lacy doubled it with a fine effort. O'Dwyer's second fine score cut the gap to the minimum 21 minutes in.

Dunboyne closed out the half with a trio of points. Full-back Shane McEntee's effort - with help from Cathal Finn and David McEntee - was the best the bunch.

Dunboyne led by 0-7 to 0-3 at the break and built on that lead from the resumption. Dunshaughlin's tenacity ensured it wasn't the cakewalk some feared it would be.

Dunboyne - Paddy Curran; Gary Timoney, Shane McEntee (0-1), Jordan McLoughlin;Conor Doran (0-1), Cathal Finn, Gavin McCoy; David Gallagher, Ronan Jones; Cathal Lacy (0-1), Niall Jones, Stuart Lowndes (0-1); Robbie McCarthy (1-2, 1f), Donal Lenihan (0-5, 3fs, 1 45), David McEntee (0-1). Subs - Michael Dunne for Lacy (43), Jack Scannell for Timoney (53).

Dunshaughlin - Adam McDermott; Alastair Doyle, Caoimhin King, Michael Ahern; David Dunne, Niall Murphy, Tadhg O Dushlaine; John Crimmins, Ben Duggan; Niall Byrne, Fergus Toolan (0-1f), Tommy Johnson; Shane Gallogly, Ray Maloney, Cathal O'Dwyer (C) (1-6, 1-0 pen, 4fs). Subs - Rian Kealy for Gallogly (43), Danny Quinn for O Dushlaine (43), Mark Devanney for Byrne (56), Eoin Hagarty for Toolan (56), Ronan Geraghty for Dunne (60).

Referee - Padraic Coyle (Seneschalstown)

Most Read Stories