IFC final replay: Cilles collect crown

October 22, 2016

Dunderry's David McCormack with Jack Reynolds St Colmcilles during the Meath IFC final replay at Pairc Tailteann

St Colmcille's proved too strong for Dunderry in Meade Potato IFC final replay at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday afternoon.

St Colmcille's ....... 1-12
Dunderry ............... 1-6

It was the seasiders second time to win the title. Their first came in 1988 when they also beat Dunderry after a replay.

St Colmcille's reclaimed senior status having come unbeaten through the campaign. This success was achieved without their best-known player Graham Reilly, who was suspended.

The remainder of the team stepped up to the mark, with Jack Reynolds and David O'Byrne particularly impressive in attack.

After a closely contested opening third St Colmcille's gradually moved clear following O'Byrne's 22nd minute goal. That left it 1-5 to 1-3 and Colm Nally's men remained in front to the end.

St Colmcille's managed 13 scores to Dunderry's seven. Having grabbed the opening goal, Luke Martyn's 19th minute effort, Dunderry managed just three more points thereafter. The seasiders registered 1-8.

Seven different players got off the mark for St Colmcille's, including all six starting forwards as well as wing-back Eoin Woods.

Nominal full-forward Niall Ronan operated to great effect as an auxilliary defender at times, winning some valuable possession. The former Munster rugby player crowned a memorable afternoon for St Colmcille's with a point from 40-metres after Ciaran Kelly picked him out with a free.

That left it 1-10 to 1-5 after 46 minutes and the Mattie McDonnell Cup was bound for the seaside.

Dunderry's Liam Dempsey and Mark Kane were dismissed in the latter stages, but their departure had no bearing on the outcome.

Numbers on jerseys didn't always correlate with position. The main thing was they matched those given in the match programme.

The exchanges were close in the opening quarter with the sides level twice and never more than a point between the sides.

The first of Stephen Coogan's three first-half points got the scoring going two minutes in.

Ben Brennan placed Eoin Woods for St Colmcille's leveller. The provider turned scorer from a free five minutes in.

The close exchanges continued with the teams level for a third time in the 17th minute when Conor Farrell pointed for Dunderry following Patrick Kennelly's delivery.

St Colmcille's regained the lead through Ciaran Kelly (free) before the first goal arrived in the 19th minute.

Stephen Coogan played a supporting role before Luke Martyn scrambled the ball to the net at the old swimming pool end.

Dunderry were 1-3 to 0-4 to the good with nearly a third of the hour gone. Over the remainder St Colmcille's outscored Kevin Dowd's men by 1-8 to 0-3

St Colmcille's - Jordan Brown; Adam Lynch, Jamie McDonnell, Ciaran Ward; Eoin Woods (0-1), Ian Mullen, Joe Sweeney; David Sheeran, Robbie McCloskey; Ciaran Kelly (0-1f), Ben Brennan (C) (0-4 2fs), David O'Byrne (1-2); Jack Reynolds (0-1), Niall Ronan (0-1), James Conlon (0-2). Subs - Danny McMahon for Mullen (38), Conor O'Byrne for Reynolds (49), Ruairi O'Grady for Kelly (54), John McKenna for Woods (bc 60).

Dunderry - David Jennings; Aaron Newman, David McCormack (C), Conor Dempsey (0-1); Darren Callaghan, Damien Clarke, Jordan Martin; Patrick Kennelly, Liam Dempsey; Mark Kane, Luke Martyn (1-0), Stephen Coogan (0-4, 3fs); Alan Waters, Conor Farrell (0-1), Simon Carty (C). Subs - Colm Harte for Martin (52).

Referee - David Gough (Slane)

Most Read Stories