MFC Div 2 Final: 2nd title of the year for Oldcastle

November 02, 2015

Jenkinstown Gaels Colm O'Connor closes in on CJ Healy Oldcastle during the MFC Division 2 Final at Pairc Tailteann

Oldcastle were crowned LMFM Minor Football Championship Division 2 champions with this dramatic win over Jenkinstown Gaels at Pairc Tailteann. This was the clubs first ever minor championship title and the Liam Tolan Cup will sit nicely with the league title won earlier in the year.

Oldcastle 3-11 Jenkinstown Gaels 3-10

Before the throw in there was a minutes silence for the late Frank 'Chips' Lynch, a former Oldcastle player who died last week in Brighton.
Oldcastle were on the scoreboard first with a point from captain Conor Delaney.

Jenkinstown dominated the following 10 minutes and their efforts were rewarded with 2-2. Corner forward Sean Healy raised the green flag twice and points from Brian O'Reilly and Hugh O'Sullivan gave the amalgamation side a 7 point advantage.

The north Meath club got themselves back in the game with a well worked Jason Scully goal along with a CJ Healy point. Healy was on hand again on the 20th minute to fire home a penalty after Delaney was fouled in the square and the minimum separated the teams. Jenkinstown Gaels 2-3 Oldcastle 2-2.

The Blackhall Moynalvey combination dominated the remaining ten minutes and outscored Oldcastle 1-4 to 0-2. Healy completed his hat trick by converting a penalty after a foul on O'Reilly and they went in at the break with a 3-7 to 2-4 lead.

Oldcastle were dealt another blow in the early stages of the second half when their influential captain Conor Delaney was black carded by referee Dessie Smyth.
Jenkinstown extended their lead with the first score of the half courtesy of Healy.

But as in all of their games this year Oldcastle came good in the second half. Healy and Scully began to dominate possession and the scores followed. Between the 7th and 20th minute the boys in Blue sent over 6 unanswered points from Dylan Garrigan, Scully (2), Healy, Robert Smith and Shane Quinn.

Jenkinstown steadied the ship with a brace from Healy and O'Reilly to leave a goal between the teams as the game entered the last five minutes.

Oldcastle needed a goal and Ronan Taggart obliged fisting home a Healy shot on goal with 2 minutes left on the timer.

Extra time looked on the cards. Jason Scully had others ideas. The midfielder picked up possession and as he soloed through the Jenkinstown defence was fouled by Sean Duggan. Duggan recieved a red card while Scully pointed the resulting free to give Oldcastle a dramatic win.

After the game John Kavanagh Minor Board Chairman along with Alfie and Theresa Tolan and Brendan Cummins (LMFM sponsor) presented the Liam Tolan Cup to Oldcastle captain Conor Delaney

Oldcastle: Karl Gibney, Mossy Flood, Matthew Taggart, Dylan Garrigan 0-1, Cian McKenna, Keith Coinnell, Stephen Lawless, Oran O'Reilly, Jason Scully 1-5, Robert Smith 0-1, Conor Delaney 0-1, Ronan Taggart 1-0, Kyle Kavanagh, CJ Healy 1-2, Shane Quinn 0-1. Subs: Lee Healy, Stephen Milmoe.

Jenkinstown Gaels: Mark Nicholson, Charlie Staunton, Conor Harnan, Matt Brennan, Scott Tuite, Riann Kealy, Colm O'Connor, Robert Lawless, Hugh Smith, Sean Duggan 0-2, James Kelly 0-1, Adam Murphy, Sean Healy 3-3, Hugh O'Sullivan 0-1, Brian O'Reilly 0-3. Subs: Andrew Jackson, John Morris.

Referee Dessie Smyth

Oldcastle Report

A great year for Oldcastle Minors as they bring their second cup over the mountain after claiming the Division 2 MFC overcoming Jenkinstown Gaels on a scoreline of 3-11 to 3-10.

Conor Delaney got the scoring off the mark after 30 seconds with good work up the field from Jason Scully, Stephen Lawless and Oran O'Reilly. Great work from Mossy Flood in defence counteracted any Jenkinstown Gaels attack in the early stages. But Jenkinstown Gaels, however, got the start they needed with a goal after four minutes. Jenkinstown Gaels had the momentum from here and hit another 1-02 unanswered. A good save by Karl Gibney ensured that they didn't hit a third goal within 5 minutes. Robbie Smith won the ball at Midfield and worked along with Cj Healy and O'Reilly to land the ball in Scully's hands as he took on the Jenkinstown Gaels keeper and made no mistake to bring Oldcastle back into the game. The sides traded scores for the next five minutes but with Healy converting a penalty after a foul on Delaney there was just 2 points between them after 17 minutes. Jenkinstown Gaels hit over three more in the last quarter but Dylan Garrigan was on hand to counteract a Jenkinstown Gaels attack and send the ball back up the pitch where an Oldcastle free was awarded. Cj Healy sent over another but it wasn't enough to reduce the deficit as Jenkinstown Gaels were awarded a penalty in the closing stages of the first half. Scully hit over another free before the half time whistle leaving 6 points between the sides at the break and Oldcastle with all to do in the second half.

Although Jenkinstown Gaels were first of the mark in the second half, it was Oldcastle who dominated the third quarter with a great run from Garrigan and sending over his first of the game. Scully sent over another free and Healy was on target again following good defence from Garrigan and Lawless. Oldcastle had the momentum and the forwards showed great work ethic as they cut off the Jenkinstown Gaels attack. Again good work from Lawless in defence and Keith Connell resulted in Robbie Smith reducing the Jenkinstowns Gaels advantage. While Oldcastle were building, there were still faced with a three point disadvantage heading into the last ten minutes of the game.  With Scully winning the ball at mid field, Smith was on hand to support and send the ball into Shane Quinn who pointed for Oldcastle. Jenskinstown sent over their last score of the game with 3 minutes to go leaving 3 between the sides but with Garrigan winning the Oldcastle Kick out and sending the ball down to Healy who kicked a brilliant ball into the square where Ronan Taggart got a hand to, to finish it in the back of the net. With the minimal left on the clock plus injury time, neither side wanted to let this slip away. It was Oldcastle who got the break being given a free which would be the final kick of the game. Scully stepped up and held his nerve as he sent over the winning point for Oldcastle claiming the MFC Division 2 title.

A terrific second half display from Oldcastle earned them the honours.

Oldcastle: K.Gibney, M.Flood, M.Taggart, D.Garrigan (0-1), C.McKenna, K.Connell, S.Lawless, O.O'Reilly, J.Scully (1-05), R.Smith (0-1), C.Delaney (0-1), R.Taggart (1-0), K.Kavangh, CJ Healy (1-02), S.Quinn (0-1).

Subs: L.Healy for C. Mckenna (HT), S.Milmoe for C.Delaney (34Minutes) J.Disney.

Most Read Stories