IFC final: Ratoath prove their worth

October 04, 2015

Conor Rooney is about to score Ratoath's goal despite the best efforts of Nobber keeper Christopher O'Reilly during the Meath IFC final at Pairc Tailteann

Ratoath proved too strong for Nobber in the Meade Potato Company IFC final at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday afternnoon.

Ratoath  1-15
Nobber  0-5

Ratoath's reward for their first IFC title is a place in the senior ranks. Their winning margin of 13 points would have been greater but for efforts of Nobber 'keeper Christopher O'Reilly.

Seven different players contributed to the Ratoath tally. The Wallace brothers Eamon and Joey shared eight points between them from play.

Conor Rooney also shared scoring honours with the Wallaces. His 53rd minute goal put additional gloss on the Ratoath win. Joey Wallace and sub Frank Coyne were involved in the build-up for what proved to be the penultimate score of the game.

All bar two points of Ratoath's tally came from play. Bryan McMahon and Conor Rooney registered the frees.

Ratoath posted six points in the opening quarter. The sequence was interupted by a fine Christopher O'Reilly save from Eamon Wallace.

Nobber sole score from play was their opening one, Karl Casserly's 13th minute point. Two Brian Farrell (frees) left just a goal between the sides coming up to half-time.

O'Reilly rescued Nobber again with a double save at the town end from Joey Wallace and Bobby O'Brien as the first-half entered stoppage time.

Seconds later Bryan McMahon ended a 15-minute scoring blank for Ratoath before Eamon Wallace wrapped up the first-half scoring. Ratoath led by 0-8 to 0-3 at the break.

It took the men in blue and gold nearly six second half minutes to extend their lead through team captain Bobby O'Brien.

Midfielder Cian O'Brien made it 0-12 to 0-4 by the end of the third quarter. The scoring rate dropped in the final quarter as the Mattie McDonnell Cup beckoned for Ratoath.

Defending the old swimming pool, with the sun at their backs, Ratoath were first to show. Conor Rooney landed a second minute free. The only such score they got in the first half.

Points from Eamon and Joey Wallace trebled Ratoath's tally by 11th minute. By the end of the opening quarter the men in royal blue doubled their tally further from play.

In addition to the Wallace brothers, team captain Bobby O'Brien also got off the mark in this phase for the favourites.

Ratoath - Shane Duffy; Darragh McGill, Conor McGill, Paul Flaherty; Brian O'Connor, Gavin McGowan, Brian Power; Cian O'Brien (0-1), Keith McCabe; Gareth Rooney, Bobby O'Brien (C) (0-2), Bryan McMahon (0-2, 1f); Conor Rooney (1-1, 0-1f), Eamon Wallace (0-4), Joey Wallace (0-4). Subs - Emmet Boyle (0-1) for Rooney (38), Brian Daly for Flaherty (42), Frank Coyne for C McGill (43), Richie Lonbard for McCabe (59), Colm Nugent for McMahon (60).

Nobber - Christopher O'Reilly; Conor Halpin, Brian Meade, Barry Cassidy; Brendan Heffernan, Richie Shields, Gerard Campbell; Alan Farrell (C), Gavin Farrelly; Colin Clarke, Brian Farrell (0-4 fs), Niall Farrell; Karl Casserly (0-1), Jamie Owens, Sean Meade. Subs - Andrew O'Brien for Heffernan (30), Pauric Weldon for C Clarke (36), Fiachra McEntee for Casserly (48), Dale Larkin for Campbell (56), Dean Halpin for Owens (57).

Referee - Martin Griffin (Simonstown)

Most Read Stories