SFC: Queeney sends Na Fianna through

August 23, 2015

Simonstown keeper Robbie Burlingham is under pressure from Barry Clancy Na Fianna during the hoganstand.com Meath SFC game at Pairc Tailteann.

Na Fianna advanced to the hoganstand.com SFC quarter-finals with a dramatic Group C win at Pairc Tailteann that eliminated Simonstown from the Keegan Cup race.

Na Fianna ...... 1-12
Simonstown .... 0-14

Daniel Queeney's pointed 45-metre free in the fourth minute of stoppage time did the trick for Eamon Barry's men. From the instant the ball left his boot the number 11 was celebrating.

The outcome was hard on Simonstown, who looked likely winners for much of the hour. However, Colm O'Rourke's side had chances, including some gilt-edged goal ones. The best one came courtesy of a 56th minute penalty.

Shane O'Rourke with James Geagan

Simonstown sub Brian McGrath was fouled at the town end by Na Fianna's Conor Downey, who was blackcarded. However, the Gaels' top scorer Michael Brennan skied his kick wide with the scores level at 1-10 to 0-13.

An Ollie Lewis effort from play gave the large Na Fianna contingent something to shout about. When Brennan's pointed free in the third minute of added time left it level for the eighth time. A draw which would have sent both sides through.

Then came Queeney's late intervention from a central position 45-metres from the Commons Road end sends Na Fianna into the knockout stages for the third year running. Last year they dispatched Simonstown at the quarter-final stage. The result opened the way for Dunshaughlin to leap frog Simonstown.

Dalton McDonagh goes highest

Two Michael Brennan points (one free) within three minutes of the off saw Simonstown open brightly. By the seventh minute the scores were tied. Dalton McDonagh and a fine Daniel Queeney levelled things.

The tempo upped with Sean Tobn unlucky to see a point attempt rebound off an upright at the old swimming pool end. Then Na Fianna 'keeper Shane Geraghty kept out a goal attempt for Simonstown's Niall Kane. The wing-back got on the end of a move involving Sean Tobin, Mark McCabe and Brennan before firing from close range.

With the sides tied at 0-3 each, Geraghty came to his side's rescue in the 14th minute, this time turning McCabe effort out for a 45. Undeterred, Simonstown upped a gear with four scores on the bounce. Midfielder Conor Sheridan got the sequence going and Padraig McKeever followed with a trio of points to leave it 0-7 to 0-3 after 25 minutes.

Ollie Lewis sends over a late point

Then it the turn of the Na Fianna number 11 Daniel Queeney to take centre stage with a trio of points. Two Shane O'Rourke (now at full-forward) scores kept Simonstown in the driving seat with a lead they looked set to take to the dressing rooms.

Then in the second minute of stoppage time, Shane Barrett's centre was fielded by Dalton McDonagh who expertly slotted to the net to level matters, 1-6 to 0-9, at the break.

Simonstown hit the front twice within four minutes of the restart - Brennan free and 45. The north Navan side had two more goal chances. Corner-back Brendan O'Donnell forced a smart save from Geraghty. Then Brennan's angled piledriver crashed against the left hand post with his side leading by 0-12 to 1-8.

Dean Barrett sets up a Na Fianna attack

At the start of the final quarter Barry Clancy tied the scores for the sixth time. Seconds later he departed on a black card. However, his team mates showed the necessary resolve to advance.

Na Fianna - Shane Geraghty; James Geogan, Anthony Neary, Johnny Baldwin; Dean Henrick,Conor Downey (0-1), Mick Collins; Ollie Lewis (0-1), Brian Queeney; Ethan Devine (0-1), Daniel Queeney (0-5, 2fs), Tommy Cosgrave; Barry Clancy (0-1), Dalton McDonagh (1-2), Shane Barrett (0-1f). Subs - Damien Downey for Cosgrave (bs 16-20), Damien Downey for Clancy (bc 48), Jamie Queeney for B Queeney (51), Dean Barrett for C Downey (bc 57)

Simonstown - Robbie Burlingham; Michael O'Rourke, Ian O'Rourke; Brendan O'Donnell; Niall Kane, NIall McMahon, Brin Conlon; Shane O'Rourke (0-2), Conor Sheridan (0-1); Seamus Kenny, Padraig McKeever (0-3), Joe Lyons; Sean Tobin (0-1f), Michael Brennan (0-7, 3fs, 1 pen, 1 45), Mark McCabe. Subs - Brian McGrath for Sheridan (52), Andrew Kearney for Lyons (58).

Referee - Patrick Neilis (Kilmainham)

Na Fianna keeper Shane Geraghty watches Mickey Brennan's penalty go wide.

Most Read Stories