SFC: Third quarter surge secures shock win for Gaeil Colmcille

April 25, 2015

Simonstown's Conor Wickham closes in on Oisin Reilly Gaeil Colmcille

A substantial second-half showing saw Gaeil Colmcille surprise Simonstown in this hoganstand.com SFC Group C clash at Brews Hill on Friday evening.

Gaeil Colmcille ...... 2-12
Simonstown .......... 1-9

The Kells-side looked a dodgy docket when trailing by double scores, 0-5 to 1-7, at the break. However, Lar Wall's men chalked up 2-5 without reply within 16 minutes of resumption en route to recording their first win of the campaign. With one point from two outings, Simonstown prop up Group C.

Gaeil Colmcille resumed with intent as Mickey Foley pointed at the Brews Hill end within 47 seconds of the restart. After Brian Hanlon added another point, Martin Barrett fired in their opening goal in the 33rd minute effort that appeared to take a deflection that took the ball beyond Simonstown 'keeper Mark McCabe.

Gaeil Colmcille hit the front for the first time in the 36th minute with one of four Seamus Mattimoe points. There the Kells-men remained, extending their advantage to six points twice in the final quarter.

The next score arrived just before the end of the third quarter and was brilliantly constructed and executed. Corner-back Liam Ferguson fielded a delivery in his own square before following the move upfield and placing Oisin Reilly for a goal to leave it 2-8 to 1-7.

Gaeil Colmcille maintained their momentum with points from Hanlon and Mattimoe to leave it 2-10 to 1-7 after 46 minutes.

It wasn't until the 50th minute that Simonstown opened their second-half account through top scorer Andrew Kearney who finished with 0-4 (three from play). It was quickly followed by a Nathan O'Brien effort from an acute angle at the railway goal.

It proved to be Simonstown's final score. Oisin Reilly and Mattimoe copperfastened a memorable result for Gaeil Colmcille. In between those scores Mark McCabe saved well from Hanlon at the expense of a 45.

Physical stronger Simonstown were boosted by Michael Brennan's eighth minute goal while Sean Tobin's 16th minute point on the run was the pick of their first-half efforts. When Andrew Kearney landed a 19th minute free the north Navan men were five points, 1-5 to 0-3, to the good.

At this stage some rain had dampened the effect of a diagonal wind blowing towards the Brews Hill end. Simonstown 'keeper McCabe assisted by corner-back Niall McMahon smothered Oisin Reilly's close range goal attempt in the 22nd minute.

Mattimoe got Gaeil Colmcille to within a goal of Shane O'Neill's (deputising for Colm O'Rourke) men. However, a fine Shane O'Rourke effort from play and a left-footed Sean Tobin free seemed to leave Simonstown in good stead at the break.

An 11-point second-half turnaround proved otherwise saw Gaeil Colmcille post a memorable win.

Gaeil Colmcille - Justin Carry Lynch; Barry Smith, Robbie Flanagan, Liam Ferguson; Paul Tormay, Barry Tormay, Stephen Reddy; Keith Reilly (0-1), Cormac Keegan; Seamus Mattimoe (0-4), Martin Barrett (1-0), Mickey Foley (0-1); Oisin Reilly (1-2), Brian Hanlon (0-3 1f), Stephen McManus (0-1). Subs - Ryan Farnham for Keegan (54), James Reilly for Foley (60).

Simonstown - Mark McCabe; Ian O'Rourke, Eanna Donoghue, Niall McMahon; Brendan O'Donnell, Seamus Kenny, Rory O'Connor; Shane O'Rourke (0-1), Conor Sheridan; Padraig McKeever, Sean Tobin (0-2, 1f), Brian McGrath; Nathan O'Brien (0-1), Michael Brennan (1-1, 0-1f), Andrew Kearney (0-4, 1f). Subs - Conor Wickham for O'Donnell (ht), Wayne McCarthy for McGrath (43).

Referee - Paul Mooney (Syddan)

Most Read Stories