IFC: Ballivor back with a bang

April 24, 2015

Ballivor's Podge Geoghegan gets away from Jason Bennet St Ultans during the Meath IFC game Athboy.

After suffering a big opening round defeat to Dunderry last weekend, Ballivor bounced back on Thursday night in Athboy to comfortably beat St Ultans in round 2 of the Intermediate Football Championship.

Ballivor 2-10 St Ultans 1-4

St Ultans had a great chance to take a grip on proceedings in the opening minutes but Sean Powers shot blazed across the Ballivor goal and out wide.

The teams were level on 0-02 each after ten minutes. Adam Gannon got the scoreboard ticking only for Cian Rennicks to level matters. Kevin McKeon and Mark Allen traded scores before the game was held up for ten minutes when Ballivor midfielder Gary Watters was stretchered off with what turned out to be a broken leg.

On the resumption Tommy Raleigh and Rennicks again traded points before the game took another turn. Gannon was fouled in the Ultan's square but before McKeon could convert the penalty, Tommy Raleigh was sent off by referee Marcus Quinn for an off the ball incident.

Gannon was also unable to continue and he was replaced by Stefan Kelly. McKeon sent over another two points and 14-man Ballivor went in at the break 1-5 to 0-3 ahead.

Ballivor had the game in the bag after 15 minutes of the second half. Sean Corrigan got the ball rolling with a fine point before substitute Stefan Kelly got in for a well taken goal.

The outstanding Podge Geoghegan and Keith Keogan raised more white flags to open up a 2-8 to 0-3 lead. St Ultans had to wait till the 20th minute for their opening score of the second half courtesy of Cian Rennicks.

Kieran Rogers got in for a St Ultans goal in the closing minutes but it was all a little too late and Ballivor ran out deserving winners.

Ballivor scorers: Kevin McKeon 1-3, Stefan Kelly 1-0,  Adam Gannon and Sean Corrigan 0-2 each, Tommy Raleigh,  Podge Geoghegan and Keith Keogan 0-1 each.

St Ultans scorers: Cian Rennicks 0-3, Kieran Rogers 1-0, Mark Allen 0-1.

Referee Marcus Quinn Clann Na nGael

Most Read Stories