IFC: Ratoath over Syddan challenge

September 15, 2014

Ratoath's Brian Daly gains possession ahead of Syddan's Patrick Farrelly during the Meath IFC quarter final at Pairc Tailteann

Ráth Tó 3-19
Syddan 3-14 (AET)

Ratoath's intermediate footballers eventually overcame Syddan last night in Navan and progressed through to the semi final against Ballinabrackey next Sunday . This was a hard fought victory which looked very unlikely for long periods as Ratoath struggled for any rhythm throughout the first half and for much of the second half.

Syddan began on the front foot and got the first 3 points of the game before Bryan McMahon notched his side's first point-a free in the 10th minute. Far from this settling his team though , Ratoath spurned numerous opportunities ,  hitting 10 wides in total in the first half and were punished on the scoreboard as Syddan went in 7 points to 2 at half time in front.

The second half began in much the same vein as Fergal Power's charges were being outplayed and when the North Meath men went 10 points to 2 in front with 15 minutes to go very few of the spectators in Pairc Tailteann could foresee anything other than a Syddan triumph.  The introduction of substitutes, Frank Coyne and Gavin McGowan though proved vital as firstly the latter slotted over a 45 within seconds of coming on to the field.  This was without doubt the game's turning point as suddenly Ratoath's forwards found their range as firstly Bobby O'Brien and then McMahon picked off Ratoath's first points from play and was quickly followed by a goal from McGowan. Another goal,  this time from Coyne a few minutes later and remarkably Fergal Power's men were now in front for the first time in the game.  The opposition though were not finished yet and it was very much score for the score as the game went into injury time when a goal for Syddan made the scores level: 2-9 to 1-12 .  No further scores ensued before the final whistle blew leaving both sides to prepare for extra time.

This time it was Ratoath who began the additional time in the ascendancy with points from Coyne. McMahon and substitute, Mark Daly,  putting them 4 points in front.  Once again their opponents replied with a free but any hope of a Syddan fightback were dashed when one of their players was shown a straight red card in the 7th minute of additional time.  7 points separated the sides after the first period and a second goal soon after from Coyne effectively decided the outcome of the game. 2 late goals from Syddan proved only consolation scores as Ratoath march on to the semi final in 7 days time.  Best for Ratoath were Frank Coyne, Gavin McGowan, Bryan McMahon, Brian Power, Emmet Boyle and Keith McCabe

Ratoath: Colm O'Riordan, Brian Daly (0-1), Conor McGill, Paul Flaherty, Emmet Boyle (0-1), Brian Power, Daragh McGill, Cian O'Brien, Keith McCabe, Conor Rooney, Bryan McMahon (0-6 4 from frees), Eoghan McMahon, Bobby O'Brien (0-1), Gareth Rooney, Nigel Duignan (0-1) subs Frank Coyne (2-3) for Daragh McGill,  Gavin McGowan (1-3) for Conor Rooney,  Richie Lombard for Cian O'Brien (black card), Mark Daly (0-2) for Eoghan McMahon,  Colm Nugent (0-1) for Duignan, Gavin Eiffe for McGowan.

IFC Quarter Final


SYDDAN 3-14 (aet)

LEADING by seven points entering the final quarter in normal time Syddan IFC hopes were eventually dashed in extra-time by a fast finishing Ratoath at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening.

The contribution of substitutes played a crucial role as Ratoath qualified for a semi-final clash with Ballinabrackey.

Frank Coyne scored 2-3 after coming on while Gavin McGowan notched 1-3, Mark Daly 0-2 and Colm Nugent a point.

Syddan enjoyed the bulk of possession throughout the opening half and deservedly led 0-7 to 0-2 at the break. They extended that lead following further points from Daire Rowe and Ian Curran.

They led by five points until McGowan hit Ratoath's opening goal and when Coyne found the net it left them trailing. Ratoath were in the ascendancy at that stage and eventually went four points clear. James Farrelly pulled a point back for Syddan and then in the last of six added minutes Sean Malone shot to the net from close range to leave it 1-12 to 2-9 and send the game to extra-time.

With Malone receiving a red card, Ratoath took a firm grip on proceedings in the first period of additional time outscoring their opponents eight points to one. Syddan fought to the bitter end though despite conceding a third goal.

Fiachra Ross managed a brace of goals to keep their slim hopes alive but ultimately their brave bid fell marginally short.

RATOATH - Colm O'Riordan; Brian Daly 0-1, Conor McGill, Paul Flaherty; Emmet Boyle 0-1, Brian Power, Darragh McGill; Cian O'Brien, Keith McCabe; Conor Rooney, Bryan McMahon 0-6 (4f), Eoghan McMahon; Nigel Duignan 0-1, Gareth Rooney, Bobby O'Brien 0-1. Subs: Frank Coyne 2-3 for D McGill (36), Richard Lombard for Cian O'Brien (BC 36), Mark Daly 0-2 for E McMahon (41), Gavin McGowan 1-3 for Rooney (47); extra-time - Colm Nugent 0-2 for Duignan, Stephen O'Brien for B McMahon.

SYDDAN - Ciaran Farrelly; Mark Fedigan, Ben Bashford, Jack Reid; Kevin Traynor, Stephen Dillon 0-1, Stephen Finnegan; Thomas Dillon, Cormac Rowe 0-1; Brian Dillon 0-3 (2f), Patrick Farrelly, Ian Curran 0-2; Daire Rowe 0-5 (2f); James Farrelly 0-2, Luke Halpenny. Subs - Sean Malone 1-0 for T Dillon (BC 20) Fiachra Ross 2-0 for Curran (48), Sean Clare for Halpenny (59); extra-time - Philip Meade for J Farrelly.

REF - Colm McManus (Gaeil Colmcille)

Most Read Stories