Meath SFC: Tones dethrone Summerhill

September 14, 2014

Summerhill's Brian Ennis with Stephen Corrigan Wolfe Tones during the 2014 Meath SFC quarter-final at Pairc Tailteann.

A strong second-half showing saw Wolfe Tones relieve Summerhill of the Keegan Cup in this SFC quarter-final at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday night.

Wolfe Tones 2-11
Summerhill 0-8

Gordon Ward's men outscored the champions by 2-6 to 0-2 from the 32nd minute to the end of third last eight fixture in this campaign and seal their sixth straight win en route to the semi-final.

There were similarities with Friday night's SFC quarter-final clash at the same venue between Donaghmore-Ashbourne and Duleek-Bellewstown when the former pulled clear in the final third of the hour.

The scores were tied four times while Wolfe Tones conceded the first score of the second-half, a Brian Ennis free, before responding in decisive fashion.

A great Fiachra Ward point, the result of patient approach play, left it level for the fourth and final time at 0-6 each in the 33rd minute.

Moments later, elder brother and team captain Cian restored Wolfe Tones' lead from a free. Then came the first hammer blow to Summerhill with Shane Glynn firing to the net at the old swimming pool end.

The Wolfe Tones corner-back appeared to be tailing Summerhill's Paul Rispin. After that the Keegan Cup was slipping from the holders' grasp.

Cian Ward and Brian Ennis shared a dozen points between them, all bar two coming from placed balls. The teams shared 10 wides in the second with Wolfe Tones recording nine overall and Summerhill one less.

There was stll just four points in it with under 10 minutes to go before Fiachra Ward knocked down a long delivery from Stephen Corrigan and Ciaran McLoughlin placed the ball high in the Summerhill net.

That ended a nine-minute scoring lull and was the prelude to Wolfe Tones closing in on a semi-final meeting with Skryne or Navan O'Mahonys by outscoring Declan McCabe's men by 0-4 to 0-1 in the time remaining.

Sub Bruaghach O Fionnagain, Niall and Ciaran McLoughlin provided the support for Fiachra Ward's second score. Some graft by the team captain on the stand-side sideline free Eanna Harrington to place sub Killian O'Brien for the final score.

Seven different players scored from play for Wolfe Tones while Summerhill had just three such scores from as many scorers.

The start was delayed due to extra time in the preceeding IFC quarter-final. Summerhill were first to show with Adrian Kenny pointing in the opening minute.

Wolfe Tones' responded with points from Niall McLoughlin and Paul Byrne to lead by the 7th minute. Within seconds the scores were tied for the second time when Kevin Ryan registered for Summerhill. However, by this stage the champions had lost midfielder Damien Byrne to injury. His brother Micheal replaced him.

Wolfe Tones enjoyed their best spell of the first-half between the 10th and 20th minutes posting three points on the spin from Cian Ward. His first was an exquisite effort with his left boot. HIs second came courtesy of a 16th minute 45 while a free four minutes later left it 0-5 to 0-2.

The 'Tones were denied two goals by Summerhill 'keeper Tony McDonnell including a Ciaran McLoughlin 24th minute effort that resulted in a 45 that Cian Ward sent wide.

A trio of Brian Ennis points had Summerhill back on terms by half-time. After landing two frees, the midfielder notched a fine effort from play at the old swimming pool end in the first of two minutes of stoppage time after taking a short free to Gary Rispin.

Wolfe Tones - David Nolan; Shane Glynn (1-0),Stephen Sheppard,David Colman;Eanna Harrington,Eoghan Harrington,Mark Coleman;Stephen Corrigan,Alan Callaghan;Niall O'Reilly,Niall McLoughlin (0-1),Paul Byrne (0-1);Ciaran McLoughlin (1-0),Fiachra Ward (0-2),Cian Ward (0-6, 4fs, 1 45). Subs - Bruaghach O Fionnagain for O'Reilly (23), Killian O'Brien (0-1) for Callaghan (56).

Summerhill - Tony McDonnell; Padraig Jennings, Caolan Young, Willie Ryan; Ross Ryan, David Dalton, Ronan Ryan; Damien Byrne, Brian Ennis (0-6, 5fs); Kevin Ryan (0-1), David Larkin, Adrian Kenny (0-1); Paul Rispin, Gary Rispin, Barry Dardis . Subs - Micheal Byrne for D Byrne (7), Jack Fagan for Dardis (51).

Referee - Cormac Reilly (St Mary's)

Most Read Stories