SFC q-final: 'Moores' move into last four

September 12, 2014

Donaghmore Ashbourne's Michael Deegan

A second-half surge saw Donaghmore-Ashbourne overpower Duleek-Bellewstown in the first hoganstand.com SFC quarter-final, at Pairc Tailteann on Friday night.

Donaghmore-Ashbourne  3-13
Duleek-Bellewstown 0-8

Donaghmore-Ashbourne fell a point in arrears in the 33rd minute, but responded to outscore Duleek-Bellewstown by 3-7 to 0-1 over the remainder of the game.

Michael Deegan led the scoring charge for Paul Clarke's charges with 1-6 (five points frees). Deegan provided the assist for Eric Callaghan to fire to the net at the old swimming pool end to leave it 1-7 to 0-7 with 36 minutes gone.

Wing-back Ciaran Ellis made some successful raids up the right flank of the Donaghmore-Ashbourne attack and posted two points including the one that left four in it, 1-8 to 0-7, seconds later.

With two-thirds of the hour gone, a forward break by full-back Conor Carton set Deegan up for Donaghmore-Ashbourne's second goal and suddenly seven points separated the sides.

Two Ciaran Beirne scores were the highlights of the next 10 minutes. His brilliantly executed 41st minute point, with assistance from Ciaran Ellis, was one of the highlights of the half.

Beirne's well-finished goal rounded off a fine move in the 50th minute as Donaghmore-Ashbourne moved triple scores clear, 3-12 to 0-7.

The remainder of the game yielded just two points, including Stephen Nolan's fourth point for Duleek-Bellewstown that ended a 20-minute scoring blank for Graham Geraghty's men.

Duleek-Bellewstown also lost Padraig Howard to a straight red card in the latter stages while Donaghmore-Ashbourne gave five subs a run-out ahead of their semi-final meeting with Na Fianna or Simonstown.

Sean Curran, Cormac McGill and Eoin Reilly  were absent from Donaghmore-Ashbourne's starting line-up, but the beaten 2012 SFC semi-finalists finished with 14 points to spare to make it six wins from as many starts in this campaign.

The scores were tied four times in the opening half while the lead changed hands once with Duleek-Bellewstown hitting the front for about two minutes coming up to the break.

Duleek-Bellewstown were off target six times when playing towards the town goal in the opening half. Donaghmore-Ashbourne chalked up just three wides in the first 30 minutes.

Nearly nine minutes elapsed before Michael Deegan (free) opened the scoring for Donaghmore-Ashbourne. Within seconds the number 15 doubled his side's advantage from play.

The pendulum swung Duleek-Bellewstown's way and they were on terms by the 14th minute due to efforts from Padraig Howard and Casey Dunne.

Duleek-Bellewstown hit the front twice in the second quarter. A great run and score by corner-back Jason Brannigan did the trick in the 19th minute to leave it 0-4 to 0-3.

Two pointed Stephen Nolan frees left it 0-6 to 0-4 to the team in yellow jerseys by the 25th minute. Points from Ellis and Deegan (free) made it 0-6-all at the break when there was no indication the second-half would be so one-sided.

Donaghmore-Ashbourne - Jack Hannigan; Thomas McGovern, Conor Carton, Jason Boland, Ciaran Ellis (0-2), Shane Melia, Dara McGovern (0-1); Conor Carey, Bryan Menton (0-2); Eric Callaghan (1-0), Andrew Tormey (0-1), Shaun Byrne; Eoghan Riordan, Ciaran Beirne (1-1), Michael Deegan (1-6, 0-5fs).Subs - Aidan Hughes for Callaghan (52), Mattie Devine for Beirne (53), Daithi Murtagh for Riordan (57), JP Casserly for Boland (59), Dylan Brady for Deegan (59).

Duleek-Bellewstown - Ricky Nolan; Jason Brannigan (0-1), Kevin McCann, John McDonnell; Robin Clarke, David Moore, Stephen McArdle; Eanna Byrne, Michael Dowling; John Flood (0-1), Mark Collins, Casey Dunne (0-1); Padraig Howard (0-1), Stephen Nolan (0-4, 3fs), Anthony Burke. Subs - Brian Moore for Clarke (39), Cianan Byrne for Burke (39), Peter Curran for E Byrne (45), Kieran Collins for Flood (53).

Referee - Padraig Coyle (Seneschalstown)

Most Read Stories