IFC: Castletown advance to quarter final

September 01, 2014

Castletown's Kevin Ross

Castletown advanced to the quarter final of the Meath intermediate football championship with this 11 point win over Kilmainham at Moynalty.

Castletown 3-14 Kilmainham 1-9

Castletown completed the group stages of the intermediate campaign with a comprehensive victory over a Kilmainham side heading for the relegation playoffs. On a wet and windy night in Moynalty the men in green and gold showed that they will have a big say in the destination of the Matty McDonald Cup. Castletown were able to get some much needed game time into the returning trio of Kevin Ross, Robert Hoey and Shane Hoey. All 3 acquitted themselves well showing a hunger that can only come from 3 months away from the white heat of championship football. There were 5 changes in total from the previous round against Dunderry.

It all started well for Castletown, playing with the aid of a stiff breeze. Shane Farrelly, switched to full forward from his number 6 position the last day, got Castletown off the mark. Tommy Smith added a second soon after as the forwards clicked into gear. Space was created and utilised on multiple occasions as the ball was moved forward. Kenny Smith and Robert Hoey were taking a strangle hold around the middle, Hoey in particular was relishing the abrasive nature of the encounter.

At the other end Kilmainham were finding it difficult to find their range. Michael Newman, lined out on the half forward line was well marshaled at first by Ross Blaney and then Joey Carry. Jonathan Metry was again in fine form, tracking all runs and coming out on top of all the 50/50 battles.

As the first half progressed Darren Finney became more prominent. His 2 points coming at the end of some fine play from Castletown. As the openings in the Kilmainham defense became more apparent Castletown went for the kill and 2 quick fire goals sealed the deal. First Shane Farrelly got on the end of a move to find the net and then, star of the show Kevin Ross rifled home from close range.
Half time score was Castletown 2-9 Kilmainham 0-2

The second half was always going to be a tighter affair with the wind stiffening in Kilmainhams favour. Their only goal came mid-way through the half from a quick free around the 21 yard line. Newman was beginning to find his range taking his chances from both play and placed balls. With the game wrapped up the Castletown mentors decided to give some of the players an early rest. The subs came in and contributed in no small measure to the closing out of the game. Robert Hoey got on the score sheet with an unbelievable point from 30 yards before being subbed off to acclaim from the vocal Castletown support. The 3rd Castletown goal came as Castletown ran the ball at the Kilmainham defense, Tommy Smith was alive to the possibility and made his way toward the goal line for a handy tap in. The game fizzled out without much else to write home about.

Castletown: P.Smith, J.Carry, C.Price, J.Metry, R.Blaney, F.Hoey,
N.Smyth, K.Smith(0-1), R.Hoey (0-1), S.Hoey (0-1), J.Finnerty, Kevin Ross (1-3), D.Finney (0-2), Shane Farrelly (1-5),Thomas Smith (1-1): Subs D.Ginnitty for R.Hoey, W.Donegan for J.Metry, J.McMahon for
J.Carry, D.Cribbin for D.Finney, W.Bellew for S.Hoey

Kilmainham: Declan Nelson, Matthew Mullen, Richie Brady, Denis Newman, Harry Newman, Seanie Mahon, Shane Morgan, Barry Lynch, Trevor Lynch, Conor Kilgallen (0-01), Pat O'Sullivan (0-01), Michael Newman (1-05), Gavin Butler (0-02), Peter Smith, Gerard Morgan

Most Read Stories