IFC: 15-point win for Ratoath

May 26, 2014

Ratoath's Joey Wallace
Ratoath 2-15
Donaghmore-Ashbourne 1-3

Ratoath emerged 15 point winners in this third round intermediate football championship clash played in Skryne last Friday night. This was a result that was never in doubt as Fergal Power's charges dominated the first half in particular for which Cian O'Brien started after a long lay off and acquitted himself quite well. What was a feature of this half was the movement of the Ratoath forwards who created space at their ease and picked off their scores to be virtually out of sight at half time.

Defending a 1-11 to 0-1 point lead at half time it was inevitable that Ratoath would not sustain the same tempo. A number of substitutions were made to the winning side, with the opposition at least making a game of it in the second half including getting a consolation goal.

It was a case of too little too late for Donaghmore-Ashbourne and with the help of a Gavin Eiffe goal Ratoath increased the half time margin to win by 15 points. Best for Ratoath were Conor McGill,Gareth Rooney,Brian Power,Joey Wallace and Eoghan MacMahon.

Foireann Ráth Tó: Colm O'Riordan, Stephen O'Brien,Conor McGill, Paul Flaherty, Brian O'Connor, Brian Power, Emmet Boyle, Cian O'Brien, Gavin Quigley,Conor Rooney, Bobby O'Brien, Eoghan MacMahon, Joey Wallace,Gareth Rooney, Bryan MacMahon subs Paddy Quinn for Cian O'Brien, Mark Daly for Bobby O'Brien, Frank Coyne for Bryan MacMahon,Brian Daly for Stephen o'Brien,Gavin Eiffe for Eoghan MacMahon.


Donaghmore Ashbourne 1-03
Ratoath 2-15

Donaghmore Ashbourne's second team suffered their second defeat of the Intermediate championship when neighbours Ratoath's first team inflicted a heavy defeat when the sides met in Skryne on Friday Night.

Entering the game as underdogs Sam Benville opened the Donaghmore Ashbourne account with a point in the first minute and it looked as this game could be closer than everyone expected. However Ratoath found the back of the net on two minutes and this set the tone for the remainder of the half. By the end of the first quarter Donaghmore Ashbourne has lost David Morgan, Kevin Dwyer and Thomas Mc Govern all through injury with Morgan suffering the worst with a fractured leg after 9 minutes. Timmy O'Regan's men could not get into the flow of the game and failed to cope with the intensity and running of the Ratoath side who hit eleven unanswered points during the opening period.

There was no let up for Donaghmore Ashbourne in the second period either as Ratoath extended their lead with three further unanswered points in the third quarter. As the clock ticked toward the hour mark Donaghmore Ashbourne had few answers and looked to be heading through the game with only one score to show for their efforts. Sam Benville did register their second white flag of the evening with a point from a free on 53 minutes but Ratoath showed no mercy and replied within a minute. The final nail in the coffin came on 56 minutes when Donaghmore Ashbourne were turned over in defence and Ratoath broke free to find the net for the second time. Sam Benville did reduce the margin with another pointed free and a goal in the final minute.

Overall it was a forgettable evening for Donaghmore Ashbourne but these results do happen when you have a second string from a club playing a well organised first team.

Donaghmore Ashbourne: J. Hanigan; G. Deery, T. Mc Govern, JP Casserly; D. Mc Govern M. Lynch, R. O'Connor C. Carey, C. Brady; D. Mulvey, K. Dwyer, D. Brady; S. Benville(1-03) (2f), D. Morgan, K. Fenton. Subs: J. O'Connor for Morgan (inj), J. Mc Carney for Dwyer (inj), I. Byrne for T.Mc Govern (inj), J. Broderick for Mulvey (inj).

Most Read Stories