SFC: Blacks salvage draw in thrilling finale

April 26, 2014

Seneschalstown's Gerry Sheridan with Alban Crosbie and Paul Donnellan during the hoganstand.com Meath SFC game at Pairc Tailteann.
Having let a big lead slip Walterstown dug out a draw against neighbours Seneschalstown in an exciting finale to this hoganstand.com SFC Group B clash at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening.

Walterstown 3-9
Seneschalstown 2-12

David Beggy's charges led from the opening quarter but looked set to lose as Seneschalstown - inspired by the scoring exploits of Bryan Clarke who scored 1-7 - looked good for the points when leading by 2-12 to 2-8 entering the 57th minute.

Then a foul on Walterstown's Ruairi O'Dowd by Joe Cowley led to the latter adding a black card to a yellow one received earlier. The upshot of this was red card for the Seneschalstown number 6.

Alban Crosbie dispatched the resultant penalty to the net. With the hour almost up the Walterstown midfielder levelled matters from a free when Seneschalstown dissent led to the placed ball being brought closer to the town goal.

In stoppage time both sides had chances to claim their first win of the campaign. Walterstown's Conor O'Sullivan shot wide from a favourable position close to goal. Then Brian Sheridan saw his effort from near the sideline rebound off an upright.

Walterstown were left to rue a goal chance that Kit Reynolds passed up in the 37th minute when firing wide with Seneschalstown 'keeper David Lyons out of commission having failed to collect a long delivery. Had Reynolds netted the Blacks would have led by 11 points, 3-7 to 0-5.

Seneschalstown were denied a 43rd minute goal when a Joe Sheridan (who operated at full-forward for the second-half) effort was parried by John Davis at the expense of a 45 which Bryan Clarke pointed. The Walterstown 'keeper also kept out a Ciaran Macken goal attempt midway through the half as Damien Sheridan's men took control.

Sub Niall Lyons bagged Seneschalstown's first goal, in the 50th minute to leave the minimum in it, 1-10 to 2-8. Then Bryan Clarke took centre stage notching 1-2 inside three minutes to move his side four points clear by the 54th minute. The wind-assisted Yellow Furze side didn't register again as Walterstown rallied to good effect.

The sides shared four wides in the opening six minutes while Seneschalstown chalked up a third miss before Conor O'Sullivan rifled to the net for Walterstown at the old swimming pool end eight minutes in.

Before the first quarter elapsed, things got even better for the Blacks when an Alban Crosbie free was flicked to the Seneschalstown net by Ruairi O'Dowd to leave the scoreboard at the opposite end of the ground reading 2-1 to 0-0.

Seneschalstown - despite registering six wides in the opening 20 minutes - responded with three points on the spin with Bryan Clarke posting the first in the 17th minute.

Mark Carey and James Meade (free) trebled the Seneschaltown account to leave four points in it, 0-3 to 2-1, by the 22nd minute.

The pendulum swung back Walterstown's way with a trio of points from Alban Crosbie (free), Richie Barry and David Donnellan to leave David Beggy's men seven points to the good, 2-4 to 0-3, with 27 minutes gone.

Seneschalstown trimmed the deficit to five thanks to Meade (free) and Bryan Clarke's second score from play. However, Walterstown posted the final score of the half through Richie Barry with David Donnellan providing the assist.

The teams headed for the dressing rooms with Walterstown leading by 2-5 to 0-5, but Seneschalstown had the promise of wind assistance to come.

Within three minutes of the restart O'Dowd tagged on a brace of points for Walterstown. Then came the aforementioned goal chance which was the prelude to a Seneschalstown rally that saw them outscore their rivals by 2-7 to 0-1 in a 16-minute blitz.

Seneschalstown - David Lyons; Gerry Sheridan, Andrew Collins, James Byrne, Mark Carey (0-1), Joe Cowley, Niall McCabe; Robert Ruddy, Joe Sheridan ; Damien Sheridan; Ciaran Macken, Bryan Clarke (1-7, 0-2 45s, 0-1f); James Meade (0-2fs), Brian Sheridan (0-2,1f), Gary Conlon. Subs - Niall Groome for McCabe (35), Ross Howard for Meade (35), Niall Lyons (1-0) for D Sheridan (42).

Walterstown - John Davis; John Geoghegan, David Reynolds, Eoin O'Mahony; Colm Reilly,David Maguire, Peter Reynolds; Alban Crosbie (1-3, 1-0 pen, 0-3 fs), Conor O'Sullivan (1-0); Paul Donnellan, Christopher Reynolds, David Donnellan (0-1); Raymond Reynolds, Richie Barry (0-2), Ruairi O'Dowd (1-3, 0-1f)..Subs - Mark Reynolds for Maguire (30)

Referee - Patrick Coyle (Curraha)


Senechalstown report:

Hoganstand.com Meath SFC Round 2
Seneschalstown 2-12
Walterstown 3-09

Seneschalstown and Walterstown played out an entertaining at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening. However both teams could have won the game in injury time. Brian Sheridan hit the post for Seneschalstown from 40 metres after Walterstown had done likewise from an even better opportunity at the other end.

Walterstown had a goal chance after just one minute but Davy Lyons produced a great save at the expense of a 45, which came to nothing. Six minutes later though they had the ball in the Seneschalstown net after a powerful finish from Conor O' Sullivan. Alban Crosbie pointed a free before Ruairi O' Dowd flicked a high Crosbie delivery to the net.

Seneschalstown opened their account after 17 minutes when Bryan Clarke pointed. Mark Carey followed that up with a point of his own 3 minutes later. James Meade pointed a free on 22 minutes which had been initially waved wide. Walterstown hit back with 3 points of their own leaving the score 2-04 0-03. Meade (free) and Clarke pointed to reduce the gap but Walterstown full-forward Richie Barry put six between them at the break - 2-05 to 0-05

Despite playing against the wind, O' Dowd opened the second half with two Walterstown points. Brian Sheridan and O' Dowd swapped points before Seneschalstown hit a purple patch, scoring 2-06 without reply. Brian Clarke kicked 2 45's and a free while Brian Sheridan slotted a free. Seneschalstown's first goal arrived when Niall Lyons tapped into an empty net after Joe Sheridan's flick from Ross Howard's delivery hit the post. Clarke hit 2 points from play before finding the bottom corner of the net after a good flick from Joe Sheridan into Clarke's path.
However Walterstown were awarded a penalty with 5 minutes left. Crosbie converted it and pointed a free in injury time. This created tense moments a few tense moments before both teams hit the post.

Seneschalstown: D. Lyons, G.Sheridan, A. Collins, J. Byrne, M. Carey(0-01), J. Cowley, N. McCabe, R. Ruddy, J. Sheridan, D. Sheridan, C. Macken, B. Clarke (1-07, 2 45's, 1f), J. Meade (0-02,f), B. Sheridan (0-02,f), G.Conlon. Subs: N.Groome for McCabe, R. Howard for Meade, N. Lyons (1-00) for D. Sheridan.

Most Read Stories