SFC: Hoops hammer Dunshaughlin

April 19, 2014

Gary O'Brien Navan O'Mahony's with Dunshaughlin's Mick Ahern during the hoganstand.com Meath SFC game at Pairc Tailteann
Twenty-five points separated the sides at Pairc Tailteann where as Navan O'Mahonys overpowered Dunshaughlin in this hoganstand.com SFC Group B round two fixture on Saturday evening.

Navan O'Mahonys 3-22
Dunshaughlin 0-6

David Bray took scoring honours with 2-2 from play while eight different players contributed to the scoring as the 2012 champions recorded their second big win of the campaign. Stephen Bray finished second in the scoring stakes with 0-6 (four frees).

All bar six points (five frees and a 45) of O'Mahonys' total came from play. Five of Dunshaughlin's scores came in similar fashion.

Having beaten Seneschalstown by 15 points in the opening round, O'Mahonys wasted little time in asserting their authority here, outscoring Kit Henry's men by 1-5 to 0-1 in the opening 10 minutes.

Though the scoring rate dropped slightly thereafter the opening half which ended with David Nelson's men leading by 2-13 to 0-4. Two of Dunshaughlin's four first-half wides came from goal attempts that went narrowly wide.

Stephen Ward and Cathal O'Dwyer had the aforementioned scoring attempts which if successful would have at least improved the complexion of the scoreboard from Dunshaughlin's perspective.

O'Mahonys resumed with a Stephen Bray pointed free before the scoring rate slackened over the remainder of the third quarter. When Darragh Maguire fisted over a 36th minute point, the midfielder became the hoops' seventh scorer.

A forward surge by Caoimhin King led to a point for Dunshaughlin sub Tommy Johnson, one of two second-half scores registered by the 2011 SFC runners-up.

By the three-quarter mark it was 2-18 to 0-5 after Jake Regan landed a 45 at the town end. In becoming his side's sixth scorer, Trevor Dowd closed the Dunshaughlin account in the 53rd minute with assistance from Mark Devanney.

O'Mahonys tagged on 1-3 near the end with David Bray netting his second goal with assistance from Kevin Reilly in the 59th minute. Points from Gary O'Brien and Jake Regan (free).

Playing with the slight breeze blowing into the old swimming pool end, O'Mahonys opened with a scoring flourish that yielded 1-3 inside six minutes. It included two pointed Stephen Bray frees. In addition a Kevin Reilly effort from about 50 metres hopped over the bar.

The opening goal arrived six minutes in when Darragh Maguire's cross was deflected to the net by David Bray. O'Mahonys had 1-5 on the board when Stephen Ward opened Dunshaughlin's account in the ninth minute.

Following a late foul on team captain Ray Maloney, Cathal O'Dwyer doubled Dunshaughlin's tally seconds later. Those scores offered temporary respite for Kit Henry's men who twice went close to goaling over the remainder of the opening 30 minutes. One of the Dunshaughlin subs, Dan Ormsby lined out at corner-back (and scored a point) for Meath minors earlier in the day at the same venue.

Scorers: O'Mahonys - David Bray 2-2; Stephen Bray 0-6 (4fs); Shane Gillespie 1-1; Jake Regan (1f, 1 45), Gary O'Brien, Kevin Reilly, Ruairi O Coileain 0-3 each; Darragh Maguire 0-1.
Dunshaughlin - Trevor Dowd, Ben Duggan, Conor Devereux, Stephen Ward, Cathal O'Dwyer (f), Tommy Johnson 0-1 each.

Navan O'Mahonys - Marcas Brennan; Stephen O'Toole, Niall McKeigue, Stephen MacGabhann; James O'Reilly, Shane Crosby, Gary O'Brien; Kevin Reilly, Darragh Maguire; Ruairi O Coileain, Stephen Bray Paddy Smyth; Shane Gillespie, Jake Regan, David Bray. Subs - Ian Matthews for MacGabhann (17).

Dunshaughlin - Ronan Gogan; Alastair Doyle, Michael Ahern, Fearghal Delaney; Eoin Hagarty, Caoimhin King, Tadhg O Dushlaine; Ray Maloney (C), Fergus Toolan; Mark Devanney, Trevor Dowd, Ben Duggan; Conor Devereux, Stephen Ward, Cathal O'Dwyer. Subs - Tommy Johnson for Hagarty (27), Jack Crimmins for Maloney (ht), Dan Ormsby for Johnson (43), Hagarty for Devereux (57).

Referee - Padraig Coyle (Seneschalstown)

Most Read Stories