IFC final: Gaeil Colmcille accelerate towards topflight status

October 13, 2013

Gaeil Colmcilles Barry Smith with Clann Na nGaels Graham Geraghty and Damien Tuite during the Meath IFC final at Pairc Tailteann. TO VIEW A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS GAME CLICK HERE
Nine unanswered points in the final third of the hour secured a decisive win for Gaeil Colmcille over Clann na nGael in the Meade Potato Group IFC final at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday.

Gaeil Colmcille 0-18
Clann na nGael 0-5

The Kells-town side always looked the more likely winners of the Mattie McDonnell Cup and had the wherewithal to respond postively to a spirited third quarter rally by the Athboy-Rathcairn outfit who never led over the course of the final.

Seamus Mattimoe top scored with 0-7 for Gaeil Colmcille while the opposite corner-forward Brian Hanlon managed just two points less. Six different players contributed from play to the the Kells-side's total as they put the 2011 IFC final defeat to Moynalvey behind them.

Despite conceding the first score of the second-half, Clann na Gael made a bold bid to upset the odds in the 15 minutes following resumption. Aaron Ryan's second score from play got the rally underway.

With Graham Geraghty reverting to the full-forward having spent the first 30 minutes around midfield and deeper, Clann na nGael pushed on. Caoimhin O Griofa's sliced shot was tipped over his own crossbar by Gaeil Colmcille 'keeper Justin Carry Lynch.

It proved to be Clann na nGael's final score though Ciaran Fitzsimons passed up a good chance to eat further into the deficit shortly after. A Hanlon free just before the end of the third quarter ended a 13-minute barren spell for Gaeil Colmcille.

With assistance from Stephen McManus, Danny McGovern left six in it, 0-11 to 0-5, midway through the second-half.

Seven scores without reply added further gloss to a memorable day for the club. Jody Devine's men were content to take their points rather than chase goals. Their top scorer had a hand in Gaeil Colmcille's last three scores, placing McManus for a point from play before wrapping things up with a brace of points, including one from a free.

Gaeil Colmcille had Seanie Curran sent off near the end but by then the title was in the bag.

Playing into the town goal, it took Gaeil Colmcille less than two minutes to get off the mark with Brian Hanlon landing a close range free awarded for a foul on Liam Ferguson.

Ferguson added Gaeil Colmcille's second score when cutting in from the stand side before firing over on the run. Robbie Flanagan raced forward but was wide in his attempt to increase his side's lead.

The Athboy-Rathcairn side got off the mark when their captain Gary Woods found the range from a free.

Gaeil Colmcille tagged on four more points before Woods landed his second score from a placed ball in the 24th minute. Danny McGovern, Hanlon (free), Gary Arkins and Seamus Mattimoe were the Gaeil Colmcille scorers during this phase of play.

Gaeil Colmcille's response to conceding a second score was to close out the opening half with points from Martin Barrett and Stephen McManus.

Clann na nGael conjured up a goal chance but sub Damien Tuite was left and wide. However, Aaron Ryan pulled one back for men in green and yellow to leave them 0-3 to 0-8 in arrears at the break.

Before the game a minute's silence was observed in memory of Bridie Kerrane, Navan who husband Liam serves as a steward at Pairc Tailteann on match days and is a former chairman of Navan O'Mahonys. Also remembered was Mick Reynolds who served Oldcastle GFC in many ways including as a player and secretary.

Gaeil Colmcille - Justin Carry Lynch; Paul Tormey, Michael Foley, Johnny Quigley; Stephen Reddy, Robbie Flanagan, Liam Ferguson; Gary Arkins (C) (0-1), Barry Smith; Seanie Curran, Danny McGovern (0-2), Stephen McManus (0-3); Seamus Mattimoe (0-7, 3fs), Martin Barrett (0-1), Brian Hanlon (0-5, 3fs, 145). Subs - Cormac Keegan for Ferguson (43), Oisin Reilly for McGovern (56), Barry Farrelly for Arkins (59), Keith Reilly for McManus, Barry Tormay for Quigley (both 60).

Clann na nGael - Trevor Wallace; Carl Kelly, Darren Kelly, Gavin Browne; Antaine O Colla, Dara O Griofa, Aaron Ryan (0-2); Alan Fox, Brian Duffy; Ronan MacDonncha, Gary Woods (C) (0-2 fs), Caoimhin O Griofa (0-1); Gary Hanley, Graham Geraghty, Ciaran Fitzsimons. Subs - Damien Tuite for Fox (23), Aaron Ennis for Duffy (48), Luke Swaine for Fitzsimons (52), Gary Mangan for Hanley (54), Phillip Garry for C Kelly (58).

Referee - David Gough (Slane)

Most Read Stories