SFC: Kenny points Summerhill into last eight

August 30, 2013

Summerhill's Adrian Kenny
Adrian Kenny's injury-time point sent Summerhill into the last eight of the hoganstand.com SFC while ending Donaghmore-Ashbourne's dreams of Keegan Cup glory at Pairc Tailteann on Friday night.

Summerhill 0-11
Donaghmore-Ashbourne 0-10

Summerhill's reward was deserved. They were more economical in front of the posts than Donaghmore-Ashbourne who registered 12 wides to the winners' four over the hour.

Summerhill finished level on six points with St Patrick's but advance by virtue of their fourth round win over the Stamullen club.

Had Donaghmore-Ashbourne won here it would have not been enough to see them through due to their earlier loss to St Patrick's at this venue in round one.

Declan McCabe's charges had a greater spread of scorers, five to Donaghmore-Ashbourne's two. Kenny was Summerhill's top scorer from play with three points.

Brian Ennis put five points to his name for the 'Hill. Of his brace from play his 53rd minute effort from distance that left it 0-10 to 0-9 to Summerhill was the pick of them.

Midfielder Andrew Tormey accounted for all bar one of Donaghmore-Ashbourne's scores. John Broderick was the only forward from the losing side to get on the scoresheet. His 32nd minute point gave the team representing the county's second largest urban area the lead for the first time, 0-5 to 0-4.

With so much at stake the first-half was somewhat tentative and the scores were tied just once. Matters improved from the resumption and before the end the scores were level a further six times.

Heading into the final quarter, Leo Turley's men led by 0-9 to 0-7 playing into the old swimming pool end in a calm dry night. They managed just one more score and conceded four before the end.

Two frees - Micheal Byrne and Ennis - levelled matters by the 49th minute. Byrne was unfortunate to see another free rebound back into play off an upright.

Donaghmore-Ashbourne were one point off the pace when Tormey was uncharacteristically wide with a free from promising position. In the 56th minute he levelled matters for what proved to the the final time from another placed ball. The next score proved to be the match winner.

Donaghmore-Ashbourne were particularly wasteful in the opening period while nearly 8 minutes passed before Brian Ennis opened the scoring. Kenny and Barry Dardis quickly trebled Summerhill's lead.

Donaghmore-Ashbourne had six wides on the debit side before Tormey landed a long range free in the 17th minute.

The first of Summerhill's two opening-half wides came in the 18th minute. Shortly after the only goal chance of the first-half fell to the 'Hill's Paul Rispin. His effort led to a routine save by Donaghmore-Ashbourne 'keeper Andy Colgan.

As Donaghmore-Ashbourne's wide count reached eight, news filtered through that St Pat's were seven points clear of Rathkenny.

Matters improved to Donaghmore-Ashbourne as Tormey landed two points in quick succession levelled matter at 0-3-all after 29 minutes, one from play the other from a free. The former was one of the highlights of the hour, from close to the left sideline into the town goals.

Summerhill replied with their first score in 20 minutes, an Ennis free, to lead by 0-4 to 0-3 at half-time.

Summerhill - Tony McDonnell; Pat Jennings,Caolan Young, Willie Ryan; Padraig Geraghty, Alan Lyons, Stephen Husband; Conor Gillespie, Micheal Byrne (0-1f); David Larkin (0-1), Brian Ennis (0-5, 3fs), Adrian Kenny (0-3); Kevin Ryan, Paul Rispin, Barry Dardis (0-1). Sub - Stephen Kennedy for Ryan (53).

Donaghmore-Ashbourne - Andy Colgan; Cormac McGill, Sean Curran, JP Casserly; Conor Carton,Shane Melia, Eoin Reilly; Ciaran Ellis, Bryan Menton, Andrew Tormey (0-9, 7fs); Cathal Field, Eric Callaghan, John Broderick (0-1); Ciaran Beirne , David Morgan , Michael Deegan. Subs - Tony Morgan for Deegan (18), Aidan Hughes for Beirne, Deegan for T Morgan (57), Rory O'Connor for Broderick (58).

Referee - David Coldrick (Blackhall Gaels).

Most Read Stories