SFC: Sinking the Blacks gives Moynalvey shot at quarter-final place

August 28, 2013

Moynalvey's Cillian O'Sullivan
Moynalvey's reward for sinking The Blacks in this hoganstand.com SFC Group A fixture at Ashbourne on Tuesday night is a shot at a quarter-final place.

Moynalvey 1-12
Walterstown 0-8

A strong showing in the third quarter saw Moynalvey increase their lead from two to seven points and finish the contest and with it end Walterstown's interest in the SFC for this year.

Cillian O'Sullivan outscored Walterstown on his own with 1-6, all bar three points coming from play. Five of his team mates also got off the mark here under the lights.

Moynalvey led by 1-5 to 0-5 at the break. Within two minutes of the resumption a good Walterstown move saw Paul Donnellan and Ruairi O'Dowd place Cathal Hennelly for a point.

Walterstown chances of a second win of the campaign were dashed as Moynalvey registered five points in a seven-minute spell. The final score in that sequence might have been goal as John Davis saved well from William Harnan before the ball was recycled to Barry O'Keefe, who pointed to leave it 1-10 to 0-6.

Matters improved for Walterstown in the third quarter when Donnellan and Christy Reynolds pointed for David Beggy's men. Then Alban Crosbie was just off target with a long range free into the breeze.

Had it gone over, Walterstown's deficit would have been down to four points heading into the final ten minutes. The Blacks were also left to rue a wide count of 12-4 against them. Tenacious Moynalvey also contributed to the losers' low scoring return.

Points from Ciaran Ennis and O'Sullivan closed the scoring as Moynalvey registered their second win on the spin (they beat Nobber in round three) having lost their opening two fixtures to O'Mahonys and Seneschalstown by a total of 15 points.

The fixture was postponed from the weekend before last due to a bereavement in the Moynalvey club. Mark O'Sullivan was absent due to injury.

Apart from a brief spell in the opening quarter, Moynalvey were never headed while the scores were tied three times in the opening 17 minutes.

A mini scoring blitz moved Moynalvey by the 20th minute. A well-worked move saw O'Sullivan place impressive wing-back Anthony Forde for a point that left it 0-4 to 0-3.

Ian Kearney's men maintained that lead to the end while Forde point was quickly followed by O'Sullivan's goal, registered at the town end.

Suddenly there were four points in it. Points from Paul Donnellan and Alban Crosbie halved Walterstown's deficit. However, Moynalvey completed the first-half scoring with county man Padraig Harnan placing O'Sullivan.

Moynalvey face Duleek-Bellewstown in their final group game at Dunshaughlin on Saturday evening, 6.0, when the winner will advance to the quarter-final stage. Walterstown face group winners O'Mahonys at Pairc Tailteann at the same time.

Moynalvey - Giles Drumm; Robbie Kiernan, Paul Weldon, Padraig Donoghue; Darragh Brennan, Stephen Donoghue, Anthony Forde (0-1); Padraig Harnan (0-1), Donal Smith; John Donoghue (0-1), Ciaran Ennis (0-1), Barry O'Keefe (0-2);Cillian O'Sullivan (1-6, 0-3fs), William Harnan, Ray Ryan. Subs - James Kelly for W Harnan (48), Benny Dixon for Kiernan (54), Daragh Branagan for Ryan (60).

Walterstown - John Davis; John Geoghegan, Stephen O'Keeffe, Peter Reynolds; Ray Reynolds, David Reynolds, Colin McGrane; Colin O'Sullivan, Joey Farrelly; Cathal Hennelly (0-1), Christy Reynolds (0-1), Mark McCormack; Paul Donnellan (0-3), Alban Crosbie (0-3,1f), Ruairi O'Dowd. Subs - Aaron McLoughlin for Hennelly (51).

Referee - Joey Curley (Moynalty)

Most Read Stories