SFC: Seneschalstown sink Blacks

June 01, 2013

Walterstown's Davy Donnellan with Seneschalstown's James Byrne during the hoganstand.com Meath SFC game at Dunsany
Seneschalstown finished strongly to see off neighbours Walterstown in this hoganstand.com SFC clash at Dunsany on Saturday evening.

Seneschalstown 1-14
Walterstown 1-7

The outcome sees Seneschalstown in second place - one point behind O'Mahonys - in Group A after three rounds.

Both teams had dropped points in earlier rounds in when drawing with Duleek-Bellewstown. However there was decreasing likely of a repeat outcome here as Seneschalstown - with the sun at their backs - increased their interval lead in the second 30 minutes.

Brian Sheridan took scoring honours for Andy McCann's men with seven points, including a peach of an effort with his left boot that left it 1-11 to 1-6 after 42 minutes.

Damien Sheridan complimented an industrious display with a brace of points from play, but was red-carded near the end of fractious final quarter that yielded just four scores.

There was a huge element of fortune attached to the Seneschalstown's first minute goal. Joe Sheridan's piledriver rebounded off the crossbar only to enter the net off Walterstown full-back David Reynolds.

To their credit David Beggy's charges worked their way back into contention, greatly helped by Ruairi O'Dowd's brilliantly taken 23rd minute goal.

The Walterstown number 15 collected Davy Donnellan's fine delivery before slotting into the road goal to tie the scores, 1-3 each, with 23 minutes gone.

Paul Donnellan then pointed Walterstown in front for the only time before Seneschalstown hit back with four scores on the spin in the run-in to half-time.

One of those points might have been a goal but when placed by brother Joe, Brian Sheridan's shot was turned out for a 45 by Walterstown netminder John Davis.

Brian Clarke effortlessly pointed the subsequent kick and there was time for Damien Sheridan to send over after an incisive run. Seneschasltown led by 1-7 to 1-4 at the break.

Within two minutes of the restart, Tom Walsh pulled a point back for Walterstown from a 45. Seneschalstown outscored The Blacks by 0-7 to 0-2 over the remainder of the game.

By the 35th minute the gap was up to four points for the first time when Brian Sheridan pointed a 45-metre free. Three minutes later O'Dowd posted Walterstown's penultimate score.

Then Seneschalstown set about settling matters. First a brace of Brian Sheridan points (one free). Damien Sheridan's second score left it 1-12 to 1-6 at the three-quarter stage.

As the contest flatlined the scoring rate dropped with Joe Sheridan and sub Gary Conlon wrapping up the scoring for Seneschalstown. A Tom Walsh free ended a 19-minute scoring lull for Walterstown near the end.

On this evidence, Seneschalstown look the more likely of the two sides to trouble champions Navan O'Mahonys in the remaining rounds.

Before the throw-in Brendan Cummins paid tribute to the late Noel Curran while a minute's silence was observed in memory of the former Meath and Dunshaughlin star.

Seneschalstown - David Lyons; Davy Matthews, Andrew Collins, James Byrne; Mark Carey, Joe Cowley, Niall Groome; Robert Ruddy, Damien Sheridan (0-2); Brian Clarke (0-1, 45), Brian Sheridan (0-7, 4fs), James Meade (0-1); Stephen Finnegan, Joe Sheridan (0-2), Peter Waters. Subs - Ciaran Macken for Finnegan (36), Gary Conlon (0-1) for Waters (43), Shane Clarke for Meade (55), James Conlon for Brian Clarke (56), Cormac Noonan for Ruddy (60).

Walterstown - John Davis; John Geoghegan, David Reynolds, Raymond Reynolds; Mark McCormack, David Maguire, Peter Reynolds; Tom Walsh (0-2, 1 45, 1 f), Alan Reynolds; Conor O'Sullivan, Stephen O'Keefe, Paul Donnellan (0-1); Davy Donnellan, Alban Crosbie (0-2 fs), Ruairi O'Dowd (1-2). Subs - Joey Farrelly for Alan Reynolds (9), Richie Barry for McCormack (38), Cathal Hennelly for Richie Barry (44), Kit Reynolds for Paul Donnellan (48).

Referee - Richie Morris (Blackhall Gaels).

Most Read Stories