SFC: Three out of three for O'Mahonys

May 30, 2013

O'Mahony's Paddy Smyth
Navan O'Mahonys scored an easy hoganstand.com SFC Group A win over Duleek-Bellewstown at Seneschalstown on Thursday evening.

Navan O'Mahonys 1-15
Duleek-Bellewstown 0-8

It was the Keegan Cup holders third win in this year's competition and the second to be achieved by a ten-point margin (the opener against Moynalvey being the other).

The fixture bore significant similarities with the Kildare-Meath Leinster JFC clash at Ashbourne the previous night. Apart from the sunlit conditions at both venues, the winning teams were physically stronger, quicker in thought and deed than their opponents.

For the second match running Paddy Smyth was the O'Mahonys' goalscorer. A forward surge by Gary O'Brien created the opening for the 2008 SFC-winning captain to slot the ball to the Duleek-Bellewstown net.

The left the champions 1-6 to 0-3 to the good after 23 minutes when playing into the sun and against the breeze.

David Nelson's charges might have won by a wider margin but for recording 14 wides to Duleek-Bellewstown's seven.

O'Mahonys registered 11 wides in the second-half when playing towards the railway goal and favoured by the elements.

They outscored Graham Geraghty's men by 0-8 to 0-5 after the change of ends. Duleek-Bellewstown en route to their first defeat of the campaign (having previously drawn with Seneschalstown and Walterstown) outscored O'Mahonys by 0-4 to 0-2 in the final quarter.

That sequence was started by a Casey Dunne free that was turned over his own bar by O'Mahonys' keeper Marcas Brennan, in the 49th minute.

The remainder of Duleek-Bellewstown's tally came courtesy of Conal McGinley frees, the final one also turned over his own bar by Brennan, for the game's final score.

A combination of Duleek-Bellewstown 'keeper Ricky Nolan and a post denied sub Alan Forde a 54th minute goal. However, Jake Regan was on hand to register what proved to be O'Mahonys' final score.

O'Mahonys entered the game with the only 100% win record in Group A. Despite playing against the elements were 0-3 to 0-1 ahead after ten minutes Brian Dillon, David and Stephen Bray all registering.

An excellent Darren Mills effort got Duleek-Bellewstown off the mark. It offered only temporary respite. It was 0-5 to 0-1 before James Murphy got the east county side's second score.

Just a goal separated the sides when McGinley sent over an excellent effort from play 21 minutes in. Shortly after Smyth goaled. By half-time it was 1-7 to 0-3.

Barely 15 second-half seconds elapsed when Damien Moran and Stephen Bray combined for Gary O'Brien to point. The gap was up to 12 points (1-13 to 0-4) entering the final quarter when wing-back Brian Dillon notched his second score.

Eight different players got off the mark for O'Mahonys while McGinley was the only Duleek-Bellewstown player to register more than one score.

O'Mahonys - Marcas Brennan; Niall McKeigue, Kevin Reilly, Ian Matthews; Brian Dillon (0-2), Shane Crosby (0-1), Gary O'Brien (0-1); Damien Moran, Cormac McGuinness; David Bray (0-2), Paddy Smyth (1-1), Henry Finnegan (0-1); Jake Regan (0-4, 1f), Stephen Bray (0-3), Stephen MacGabhann. Subs - Darragh Maguire for Finnegan (45), Alan Forde for MacGabhann (52).

Duleek/Bellewstown - Ricky Nolan; Jason Branigan, Kevin Mc Cann, James Murphy (0-1); Shane Crosby, Kevin Smith, David Moore; Brian Moore, Casey Dunne (0-1 f); John Flood, Cianan Byrne, Podge Howard; Conal McGinley (0-5, 4fs, Darren Mills (0-1), Kieron Collins. Subs - Peter Curran for B Moore (15), Darren Heaney for Mills (24).
Referee - David Gough (Slane).

Most Read Stories