SFC: O'Mahonys have eight points to spare

May 03, 2013

O'Mahony's Paddy Smyth
Navan O'Mahonys finished well to see off Nobber in this hoganstand.com SFC Group A fixture at Castletown on Friday.

Navan O'Mahony 1-11
Nobber 1-3

The outcome hinged on second-half goal chances taken and not taken. O'Mahonys held a two-point lead in the 51st minute when Jake Regan's delivery on a wet night was mishandled by Nobber 'keeper Christopher O'Reilly.

Paddy Smyth pounced to force the ball to net and leave the board reading 1-8 to 1-3 and effectively end Nobber hopes of upsetting the champions.

At the road goal, three minutes after the break Fiachra McEntee's attempt was saved by O'Mahonys' netminder Marcas Brennan at the expense of a 45 that proved fruitless.

Nobber had the elements at their backs in the second-half but could only manage two points, with wing-back Niall Farrell and impressive midfielder and team captain Gavin Farrelly registering.

O'Mahonys closed in on their second win of the campaign - following their first round success over Moynalvey - with scores from Stephen Bray, sub Henry Finnegan and corner-back and captain Niall McKeigue.

Nine different players were on the scoresheet for O'Mahonys by the end by which time they had registered 16 wides. Eleven of these were posted in the opening half which was played in dry but windy conditions.

Overall Nobber notched up nine wides, including five in the third quarter. Both sides managed just a score apiece in this phase of the game to leave O'Mahonys leading by 0-8 to 1-2 heading into the final 15 minutes.

Nobber hopes of creating an upset and avenging defeat to O'Mahonys in the opening round of last year's campaign rose when Brian Farrell placed Farrelly for a point in the 50th minute.

Smyth's goal arrived seconds later to effectively consign Nobber to their second defeat - they lost by eight points to Walterstown first time out - of the campaign.

O'Mahonys bossed matters from the off but had only three points to show for ten minutes' effort. Brian Farrell's goal from close range levelled matters at 1-0 to 0-3.

Stephen MacGabhann's point for O'Mahonys was cancelled by a Brian Farrell effort (free). Jake Regan's third score of the opening half (free) restored the Brews Hill side's lead which they maintained to the end, though not without difficulty.

Further points from David Bray and Gary O'Brien left O'Mahonys 0-7 to 1-1 to the good at the break. Centre-half-back Shane Crosby increased that lead in the 32nd minute but it proved to be the Navan side's only score in the third quarter.

As weather conditions deteriorated, Nobber managed to get the deficit down to two points. That was as good as it got for Shay Duff's men as O'Mahonys maintained their winning start to the defence of their title.

O'Mahonys - Marcas Brennan; Niall McKeigue (0-1), Kevin Reilly, Ian Matthews; Brian Dillon, Shane Crosby (0-1), Gary O'Brien (0-1); Damien Moran, Cormac McGuinness; Shane Gillespie, Paddy Smyth (1-0), David Bray (0-1); Jake Regan (0-3, 1f), Stephen Bray (0-2), Stephen MacGabhann (0-1). Subs - Henry Finnegan (0-1) for D Bray (46), Darragh Maguire for McGuinness (53).

Nobber - Christopher O'Reilly; Phillip Weldon, Brian O'Reilly, Paul Meade; Richie Shiels, Phillip McEntee, Niall Farrell (0-1); Colin Clarke, Gavin Farrelly (0-1); Padraig Fox, Jamie Owens, Brendan Heffernan; Carl Cassidy, Brian Farrell (1-1, 0-1 f), Fiachra McEntee. Sub - Sean Meade for Cassidy (40).

Referee - Eamon Barry (Walterstown)

Most Read Stories