SFC: Two-goal 'Tones beat 'Gaels

April 20, 2013

Blackhall Gaels Sean Rattigan keeps possession ahead of Wolfe Tones David O'Neill during the hoganstand.com SFC game at Pairc Tailteann
Wolfe Tones ......... 2-6
Blackhall Gaels ...... 0-10

Two second-half goals were central to Wolfe Tones' SFC Group C win over Blackhall Gaels at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening.

The first goal arrived in the 35th minute when Cian Ward fisted David O'Neill's delivery into the net at the town end to put last year's runners-up in front for the first time in this fixture.

The second - and the 'Tones next score - was registered 16 minutes later arrived in similar fashion with O'Neill getting a fist to Cillian O'Neill's delivery.

Those scores were the highlights of a poor game. In between those green flags the sole score was a fine point from Blackhall sub Denis Beirne who sent over within minutes of his introduction to level matters for the only time.

The latter stages were closely contested with Blackhall top scorer Sean Whelan seeing a goal attempt rebound off the crossbar and back into play.

In the 52nd Wolfe Tones 'keeper David Nolan was unfortunate to receive a yellow card after a poor kickout struck Whelan who was lying on the ground. Fortunately the 'Gaels player wasn't hurt, but Nolan appeared to be acting on instructions from the referee when taking the kick.

A fine Tadhg Brosnan point was sandwiched in between two Ward efforts before Whelan closed the scoring with a well-flighted free into the hospital end.

A moderately exciting finale masked a low quality contest in which both teams hit ten wides.

The first-half was slow to get going with Whelan's third point for the 'Gaels (the first in the game from play) being the highlight.

Whelan also pointed two frees in the opening quarter. Meanwhile Wolfe Tones hit four wides in the early stages against the wind blowing from the old swimming pool end.

Niall McLoughlin opened the 'Tones' account with the help of Mark Coleman and Alan Callaghan. Whelan provided the next notable moment with a magnificent effort from play close to the left sideline in the 19th minute.

That left Liam Keane's charges 0-4 to 0-1 to the good. As the wide count grew to 11 (Wolfe Tones registering six) before the interval arrived there were no further scores until the 29th minute.

Three scores in quick succession included Cian Ward first (free) and a fine effort from Stephen Corrigan left Darren Fay's men just a point in arrears in the 30th minute.

Jonathan Meyler wrapped up the first-half scoring when taking a pass from a Whelan free as Blackhall Gaels headed for the dressing room leading by 0-5 to 0-3.

Colm McElligott's 33rd minute point increased Blackhall's lead before a fine Stephen Corrigan point got the 'Tones motoring and was soon followed by Ward's goal.

Wolfe Tones - David Nolan; Aodhan McKeown, Shane Glynn, David Coleman; Stephen Sheppard, Eoghan Harrington, Ciaran McLoughlin; Stephen Corrigan (0-2), Mark Coleman; David O'Neill (1-0), Paddy Caffrey, Alan Callaghan; Eanna Harrington, Cian Ward (1-3, 0-2fs), Niall McLoughlin (0-1). Temporary sub - Cillian O'Brien for Corrigan.

Blackhall Gaels - Tommy Dalton; Conor Stenson, Declan Dalton, Daniel Carty; John Kelly, Alan Nestor, Stephen Morris; Jonathan Meyler (0-2), Paddy O'Brien; Sean Rattigan, Tadhg Brosnan (0-1), Dermot Carty; Colm McElligott (0-1), Mark Mullally, Sean Whelan (0-5, 3fs). Subs - Denis Beirne (0-1) for Stenson (35), Mark Crampton for Rattigan (46), Aidan Dalton for Dermot Carty (48), Thomas Delany for Mullally (56).

Referee - John O'Byrne (St Patrick's)

Most Read Stories