SFC: Na Fianna open on a high note

April 14, 2013

Na Fianna's Michael Foley and Dunboyne's Donal Lenihan contest the high ball during the opening round of the hoganstand.com SFC at Lomans Park Trim
Na Fianna began life in top flight championship football with a memorable hoganstand.com SFC Group C win over Dunboyne at Trim early on Sunday afternoon.

Na Fianna ...... 2-10
Dunboyne ....... 1-11

Last year's IFC winners were fully deserving of the spoils here where they led by just two points, 0-7 to 0-5, at the break having played with the strong wind in the opening period.

Na Fianna kept their noses in front until the 43rd minute when Ger Robinson levelled matters at 0-8 each with a free.

The men from Enfield, Baconstown and Rathmolyon responded with a scoring burst that moved them five points clear by the 51st minute.

That decisive sequence was started by a Daniel Queeney goal with brother Jamie as well as Dalton McDonagh playing supporting roles.

Na Fianna maintained momenutum and might have got a second goal sooner but Dean Barrett's effort was well-saved, by Dunboyne 'keeper Johnny O'Connor.

Undeterred, Na Fianna responed with a Daniel Queeney points after good work by Michael Foley and McDonagh.

Dunboyne debutant, Dingle's David Geaney scored nine points and two of those scores left just a goal in it by the 54th minute.

Dean Barrett turned provider for his brother Shane and the latter shot low to the Dunboyne net to leave Na Fianna on the brink of a memorable win two minutes later.

With Michael Foley in particular showing up well in the Na Fianna defence, Dunboyne got little return from over four minutes of stoppage except for a well-executed Ger Robinson penalty, awarded for a foul on Donal Lenihan, in the last action of the game.

Na Fianna were clapped onto the field by a group of their supporters on this notable occasion in the club's history.

They responded well to the concession of the game's opening point - a fisted Geaney 7th minute point - with six scores on the spin.

Dunboyne rallied in the run-up to half-time with Geaney (three) and Lenihan registering. Just before the break Jamie Queeney landed a 45 awarded after O'Connor saved well from Na Fianna's Dalton McDonagh.

A two-point interval advantage didn't seem sufficient in the conditions but Na Fianna's resolve was rewarded.

Overall Na Fianna had six different scorers to Dunboyne's three and were more economical in front of the posts. Only four of the winners' scores came from placed balls and one of those was a 45. Conor O'Donoghue's charges managed just four scores from play.

Scorers: Na Fianna - Shane Barrett 1-2; Daniel Queeney 1-2 (1f); Jamie Queeney 0-3 (2fs, 1 45); Michael Farrelly, John O'Lone, Harrison Silke 0-1 each.

Dunboyne - David Geaney 0-9 (6fs); Ger Robinson 1-1 (1-0 pen, 0-1 f); Donal Lenihan 0-1.

Na Fianna - Shane Geraghty; Diarmuid Bailey, Christy Cosgrave, John Baldwin; Michael Farrelly, Michael Foley, Tommy Cosgrave; Jamie Queeney, Brian Queeney; Daniel Queeney, Dean Barrett, Conor Downey; John O'Lone, Shane Barrett, Dalton McDonagh. Subs - Harrison Silke for O'Lone (38), Jamie McCormack for Downey (55).

Dunboyne - Johnny O'Connor; Conor Doran, Damien Sweeney, John Meehan; Barry Comer, Cathal Finn, Gary Watters; David Gallagher, Sean McGarrell; Shane McEntee, Donal Lenihan, Colm Brennan; Jason Daly, Ger Robinson, David Geaney.

Referee - Seamus O'Connor (Carnaross).

Most Read Stories