MFC final: Ratoath retain title with win over neighbours

November 18, 2012

Eamonn Wallace raises the Meath MFC Cup to the delight of his Ratoath team mates at Pairc Tailteann. TO VIEW A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS GAME CLICK HERE
Ratoath retained the Jack Kiernan & Sons MFC title with a hard-earned win over neighbours Donaghmore Ashbourne at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday.

Ratoath 1-11
Donaghmore-Ashbourne 0-8

The outcome was in doubt until Joseph Wallace netted the only goal in the 25th minute of second-half stoppage time.

When Robert Waters' 40-metre broke to Wallace he brought his tally to 1-3 while his brother Eamon finished with 0-3.

Ratoath lost wing-back Andrew Flinter with a neck injury incurred accidentally in the 40th minute. There was a 20-minute stoppage as proper procedures were adhered to as the injured player was taken to hospital.

Donaghmore-Ashbourne rallied to within a point of Ratoath when action resumed. Dermot Rooney's charges closed out the final by outscoring their rivals by 1-3 to 0-1 before proceedings closed in the 55th minute of the second-half.

Ratoath were leading by 0-8 to 0-5 in the 40th minute when wing-back Flinter incurred his neck injury. Proceedings resumed follow an 18-minute stoppage.

Donaghmore-Ashbourne, bidding for their first success at this level since 2008, pulled back points through Aidan Hughes and substitute Scott Hanway to leave just a point in it, 0-7 to 0-8, with the clock in the 34th minute of the second-half.

Ratoath steadied with scores from corner-back Brian Power and Joseph Wallace (free) to move 0-10 to 0-7 ahead by 39th minute of the second-half.

Donaghmore-Ashbourne won an earlier meeting between the sides. However, they only led briefly on this occasion during the first half.

At the hospital end, in the fourth minute Donaghmore-Ashbourne corner forward Harry English pointed. Seconds later Conor Rooney levelled matters with assistance from Eamon Wallace.

Ratoath hit the front in the sixth minute when Eamon Wallace sent over at the town goal. They doubled their lead shortly after when Rooney registered his second score.

A foul on Michael Deegan led to a free which Sam Benville pointed to halve Donaghmore-Ashbourne's deficit.

Joseph Wallace responded with a pointed free from out on the left for Ratoath to leave it 0-4 to 0-2 before the first quarter elapsed.

Parity was achieved for the second time in the match, 0-4 each, when Donaghmore-Ashbourne posted a brace of points in quick succession from Michael Deegan (free) and Daragh McGovern.

Ratoath regained the lead again in 24th minute was a fine Eamon Wallace effort on the run. They managed to stay in front to the end. Conor Rooney's third point of the half left it 0-6 to 0-4.

Joseph Wallace was wide with a scoreable free in the 30th minute. In the third minute of stoppage time his brother Eamon executed an excellent score on the run, his third point of the half.

Ratoath led by 0-7 to 0-4 at the break with all bar one of their first-half scores coming from play. When full-forward Robert Waters sent over a free at the hospital end it was 0-8 to 0-4 to the holders.

The scoring rate dropped in the third quarter but Ratoath responded well after the break in play to deservedly retain their title.

Ratoath - Eoin Doody; Brian Power (0-1), Daragh Kelly, Ben Newe; Andrew Flinter, Gavin McGowan, Brian Daly; Brian O'Connor, Keith McCabe; Adam Griffiths, Conor Rooney (0-3), Joseph Wallace (1-3 2fs); Eamon Wallace (0-3), Robert Waters (0-1 f), Jason Tyndal. Subs - Dara Byrne for Flinter (42), E. Halpin for Tyndal (81).

Donaghmore-Ashbourne - Jack Hannigan; Robert Lawlor, Dylan Brady; Daragh McGovern (0-1), Conor Carton, J. McCarney; Jack Dwyer, Chris Brady; Sam Benville (0-1 f), Aidan Hughes (0-1), Sean Byrne; Kevin Fenton, Michael Deegan (0-3 fs), Harry English (0-1). Subs - Scott Hanway (0-1) for Fenton (36), J. Tuohy for English (60), M. Quinn for D. Brady (76), A. O'Connor for C. Brady (78).

Referee - Patrick Neilis (Kilmainham)

Most Read Stories