SFC: Holders Summerhill rally to see off Duleek-Bell

September 08, 2012

Duleek bellewstown's Eanna Byrne puts pressure on Summerhill's Pauric Geraghty during the Meath SFC game at Pairc Tailteann. TO VIEW A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS GAME CLICK HERE
Holders Summerhill overame a seven-point second-half deficit to defeat Duleek-Bellewstown by a single point in this dramatic hoganstand.com SFC fixture at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening and subsequently top Group A.

Summerhill ............. 1-12
Duleek/Bellewstown ..... 0-14

The game turned around the 42nd minute at which point Duleek-Bellewstown lost top scorer Mark Collins through injury when leading by 0-11 to 0-4.

Then Summerhill midfielder Maurice Kennedy netted from close range at the town end to kick-start his side's rally.

Collins has six points to his name before his premature departure including three 45s and two frees.

Summerhil substitute Adrian Kenny pitched in with three second-half points. His second, in the 50th minute restored a lead the 'Hill held briefly in the early stages.

That score left it 1-9 to 0-11. To their credit Duleek-Bellewstown responded positively. Though they never regained the lead the east county side restored parity on three occasions subsequently.

It was left to Kenny to post what proved to be the winner score in the third of nearly five minutes of stoppage time.

Duleek-Bellewstown's best chance of a goal came five minutes into the second-half when Darren Mills' effort was smothered by Summerhill 'keeper Tony McDonnell.

Duleek-Bellewstown recovered from the concession of an early point to hit the front by the fifth minute through Mark Collins (45) and John Flood.

Paul Rispin opened the scoring with 20 seconds of the the thrown-in for a Summerhill side that had a number of changes from their facile win over Nobber the previous week.

With the breeze and the sun at the backs, Duleek/Bellewstown attacked the town goal in the opening half and by the 13th minute were 0-4 to 0-1 ahead.

The east county side might have been further ahead but for registering five wides in the opening quarter.

With a third of the hour gone, Martin Frayne's charges led by 0-5 to 0-1. Summerhill halved the deficit with points from Micheal Byrne - their first in 20 minutes - and Conor Gillespie.

Mark Collins' third point of the half left it 0-6 to 0-3 to Duleek/Bellewstown with 25 minutes. The best score of the opening period came next with Rispin finding the range from his 'wrong' side.

Undaunted, Duleek/Bellewstown finished well with three points on the spin including Mark Collins' first effort from play. Stephen Nolan also registered in this phase with the half's top scorer then landing another free to leave it 0-9 to 0-4 at the break.

Summerhill - T. McDonnell; D. Dalton, C. Young, P. Jennings; P. Geraghty, R. Hatton, M. Gorman; D. Byrne, M. Kennedy (1-0); D. Larkin (0-1), C. Gillespie (0-3), M. Byrne (0-2 fs); P. Rispin (0-2), P. Comey, B. Ennis (0-1). Subs - W. Ryan for Young (17), A. Kenny (0-3) for D. Byrne (18), E. O'Shea for Comey (60).

Duleek/Bellewstown - A. Dowling; D. Teeling, B. Moore, S. McArdle; S. Townley, K. McCann, D. Moore; T. Cunningham (0-1), E. Byrne; R. Nolan, M. Collins (0-6), D. Mills; S. Nolan (0-4), J. Flood (0-2), C. Collins (0-1). Subs - A. Everard for McArdle (28), W. Noone for Collins (42), J. Flaherty for R. Nolan (56), R. Cooney for Townley (59).

Referee - J. Curley (Moynalty)

Most Read Stories