SFC: Seneschalstown advance after Rathkenny win

September 03, 2012

Seneschalstown's Paul Carey puts pressure on Rathkenny's Jack Gore during the Meath SFC game at Kilberry. TO VIEW A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS GAME CLICK HERE
Seneschalstown 0-17

Rathkenny 0-12

Seneschalstown left sunny Kilberry with the all important points, to book a place in the Hoganstand.com Meath Senior Football Championship quarter finals after defeating neighbours Rathkenny last Sunday afternoon.

Rathkenny defied the odds by standing toe to toe with Seneschalstown for most of the first half and the sides were level at seven apiece going into first half injury time. There was never more than a score between the sides as Seneschalstown opened proceedings with a Joe Sheridan 45. Colin Curtis replied for Rathkenny when latching onto a ball around the square and half volleying over the bar. Brian Meade sent over the first of his nine points from a free on seven minutes. Seneschalstown replied with fine scores from Damien Sheridan, Adam Gleeson and Gary Conlon. The outstanding Meade sent over his third point in a row on seventeen minutes to leave Rathkenny trailing by one point, 0-5 to 0-4. Michael McBride levelled matters a minute later with a sublime point when he had his back to goal. Meade put Rathkenny back in front with the next score with seven minutes left in the half. A David Hosie point evened up matters again before Brian Sheridan gave Seneschalstown the lead. Donal Keogan raced through to levelled matters again with five minutes remaining. The men in blue and yellow sent over two points in injury time from Gary Conlon and Brian Sheridan to lead 0-9 to 0-7 at the break.

Three early second half pointed frees from Brian Sheridan extended the gap to five and Rathkenny were chasing the game. Brian Meade sent over all of Rathkennys second half scores (including 3 frees). Further scores from Sheridan (3) and Gleeson put the Yellow Furze side 0-16 to 0-10 ahead with ten minutes left. To their credit Rathkenny kept playing football and a brace of points from Meade had the gap down to four. Substitute Niall Groome steadied the Seneschalstown ship with the last score of the match. Rathkenny play Oldcastle in the final round while Seneschalstown face fellow quarter finalists Navan O'Mahonys.

Seneschalstown scorers: Brian Sheridan (0-8), Gary Conlon (0-3), Adam Gleeson (0-2), Joe Sheridan, Damien Sheridan, David Hosie and Niall Groome (0-1) each

Rathkenny - J. Martin; J. Macken, T. McKeever, Joe Gore; M. Macken, D. Keogan (0-1), C. Meade; B. Meade (0-9), R. Curtis; I. Lenehan, M. McBride (0-1), D. Smith; C. Curtis (0-1), D. Curtis, Jack Gore
. Subs - O. Elliott for C. Curtis, B. Lenehan for Smith

Referee Colm McManus

Most Read Stories